Has Rousey surpassed Usain Bolt in popularity?

Almost everybody who keeps up with &/or comes across current events know who Ronda Rousey is, and those same people had the same familiarity with Bolt during the Olympics. Due to people who are more likely to not think of Bolt since that period of time, and Rousey's recent rise, yes more people have her fresher in their minds.

She isn't bread, but maybe one day she'll be that popular, lol. It's crazy really, and super cool for MMA as a sport to be getting so much publicity through her, to the point that we have discussions like this, especially one that doesn't get derailed.

Almost everybody who keeps up with &/or comes across current events know who Ronda Rousey is, and those same people had the same familiarity with Bolt during the Olympics.

Maybe in one country. Bolt is world famous. Rousey is not. It's the same as when people mention "famous" baseball players or American footballers. Unless they're Babe Ruth or John Madden, the rest of the world has no idea who they are....... and we only know about Madden because of the video games.

This is all very interesting... but who is more well known - Ronda or Messi/Ronaldo?:icon_chee

Lmao. You americans really think you're the center of the world don't you ? Matbe in the U.S she is as well-known.
But worldwide, give me a fucking break.

Ask any european off the streets if they know who Rousey is. You'll be lucky if you get 5 people out of 20 who know who she is. (Maybe more in the UK)
Now on the other hand, ask who Bolt is, 90 % will know.
Not even close. Europeans reading this will know what I'm saying.

All I know is suddenly after the Bethe fight all of my friends who don't follow MMA now know who Ronda is. Especially women who wouldn't be able to name a single W/MMA fighter now know who Ronda is.

This shit is snowballing son.

Last edited:
Usain Bold is winning gold medals destroying world records. Rousey is can crushing in it's most extreme form.

Usain Bold is winning gold medals destroying world records. Rousey is can crushing in it's most extreme form.

My dog would destroy Bolt in a 100m, 200m, 400m, 1600m race. He'd take a good chunk out of Rousey in a fight to the death but Rousey would most definitely end up killing it.

Short distance "world records" set by humans are beyond comical. You can literally point your finger at anything in the wild and chances are that thing will run faster than Usain Bolt, even if it's 1/10 Bolt's size, say a rabbit (44 mph top speed) or even a bloody house cat. If you want to talk about can crushing, Bolt is the best example. Because humans are absolute cans at short distance sprinting.

Must not know many people :p

You must live in a bubble. I'm the first one to admit US is the center of the human world, but it is also a fact that Ronda Rousey, despite her fame blowing up in North America and selected MMA hotbeds around the world, is a complete unknown in much of the world that don't give a rat's ass about a fringe sport like MMA.

You could survey an entire city worth of people in China and none of them would've heard of "Longda Luxi" (Ronda Rousey). Her Chinese Google/Wiki equivalent page on Baidu Baike has been favored a whopping 208 times: http://baike.baidu.com/link?url=bXB...1IkyHTlq6bcDniojcbVByAD3J5VJ2i5e9nr1nRssT6Teq

But like I said before, if you can attain super stardom in the US, your popularity in the rest of the world becomes utterly irrelevant, as US is the center of the human world, and more than half of the best paid athletes/actors/singers are American.

Best example would be football/soccer superstars vs. Mayweather. All of them make chump change compared to Mayweather. All of them are much more well-known globally than Mayweather, and football is infinitely bigger than boxing globally.

My dog would destroy Bolt in a 100m, 200m, 400m, 1600m race. He'd take a good chunk out of Rousey in a fight to the death but Rousey would most definitely end up killing it.

Short distance "world records" set by humans are beyond comical. You can literally point your finger at anything in the wild and chances are that thing will run faster than Usain Bolt, even if it's 1/10 Bolt's size, say a rabbit (44 mph top speed) or even a bloody house cat. If you want to talk about can crushing, Bolt is the best example. Because humans are absolute cans at short distance sprinting.

Ughhhhh not even close! Bolt is known world wide, he's the world fastest human in history. He's 100x more popular then Rousey

Ronda is going to be the biggest martial arts superstar that has ever lived. She's well on her way, but she's going to get a lot bigger than she is now.

You mean mixed martial arts, don't you? She's never going to get to Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris levels, or Jacky Chan etc. She doesn't have the acting ability, and MMA doesn't have the audience movies have.

And regarding Rousey or Bolt, it probably depends on where you live. I can see Rousey being more popular in America than Bolt. Doubt its true anywhere else (up in Canada everyone knows who Bolt is, and though Rousey is fairly well known, she's nowhere near that).

I feel bad that you have such a distorted view of clean and dirty athletes in running. At the very top of the food chain you only have two types of athletes - Athletes caught using PEDs and athletes who haven't been caught using PEDs. Nobody in that group is actually clean/moral/etc.

You either get on pharmacy grade enhancers or you can't compete at that level. Period.

Unless you believe someone with great genetics, prayers and vitamins can beat out an entire field full of athletes on drugs that give them superior strength, speed and stamina.

If you believe that then the tooth fairy riding my favorite unicorn has a bridge she wants to sell on my behalf.

I think you're missing the argument that people have against saying someone who's never tested positive is using. The problem isn't what people believe, its what they can prove. There's a reason for innocent until proven guilty. People believe a lot of things. Look at the popularity of birthers, truthers, moon landing hoaxers and a hundred other conspiracy theories, some of which might even be true. But without proof they're just empty beliefs. Whether I think Bolt (or Rousey or any of them) is using PED's is irrelevant unless I can prove it. And if I can't prove it, then assuming they're using is no different than assuming they're cheating in a hundred other ways.

Every conspiracy theorist is sure their theory is right, and people who doubt are living in a fairy tall world. And they might be right. Maybe they're all right. But without proof who cares?

Last edited:
you are an idiot.

bolt is one of the most popular athletes in the world. he's like top 3. maybe even 1 when the olympics came/come around.

I am an idiot am I? Your rudeness is not only unnecessary, but should also be somewhat embarrassing, given the actual content of my post.

Your claim that he is one of the most popular athletes in the world changes or contradicts what I said in no way, shape, or form. Folks in Cleveland or Columbus or Detroit or Indianapolis know Usain Bolt is fast, but relatively few have ever watched him race, and when they do it is every four years in the Olympics. I am sure fewer recognize his face than recognize Ronda Rousey.

I have nothing against Bolt and I congratulate him on his worldwide fame. But as I specified in my original comment, in the American Midwest he is less popular than Ronda Rousey, and neither is hugely popular. Track and field just isn't a big deal around these parts.

Lmao. You americans really think you're the center of the world don't you ? Matbe in the U.S she is as well-known.
But worldwide, give me a fucking break.

Ask any european off the streets if they know who Rousey is. You'll be lucky if you get 5 people out of 20 who know who she is. (Maybe more in the UK)
Now on the other hand, ask who Bolt is, 90 % will know.
Not even close. Europeans reading this will know what I'm saying.

Lmao. You Europeans really think you're the center of the world don't you?

Back