Has GSP ever been Taken Down?

"Great display" that included faking being hit by a grounded shot to get out of trouble.

Grossly undersized Rich Clementi also subbed that incarnation of Johnson.

But yeah, in his prime, Koscheck was a great wrestle-boxer and legit contender in a deep divison.

In that Rumble fight, Johnson hit a beautiful sprawl... and Kos proceeded to explode through it, rag dolling Rumble in a way I've never seen done before or since. The guy was a beast of a wrestler, along with being a POS.

After reading this thread I decided to watch some of the GSP vs Koscheck match.
The fight really should have been stopped inbetween rounds 3 and 4. Josh's eye was swollen shut.
On one hand it is badass to let a fighter continue to see if he can pull it out and make dreams come true.
The other side of the coin is fighter safety because he cant see punches coming from that side and could make and injury worse with continued damage.

gdf34.gif

Go watch their first fight.

Yes
90 Takedowns

7 times Taken down

Ivan Menjivar, Hughes, Mayhem, BJ, Koscheck, and Hendricks.
Ape technique. It takes you down.

Nice try.

Kos landing a meaningless takedown in the last minute of a round doesn't "win him the round" when GSP closed his eye.

Honestly posters such as yourself are the unneeded waste of human society. You're unbelievably biased and you let your limited intelligence quotient affect your opinions. I suggest you relinquish your account and be done with this. You're an embarrassment to your forefathers.

George St. Pierre defeats Josh Koscheck UD (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

In that Rumble fight, Johnson hit a beautiful sprawl... and Kos proceeded to explode through it, rag dolling Rumble in a way I've never seen done before or since. The guy was a beast of a wrestler, along with being a POS.
That illegal knee embelishment though. Koscheck should have won an Oscar. Shit was embarrassing lol

But he was a great wrestler.

no GSP slipped in round 4
Hendricks only landed one takedown in the fight (Round 1), so when you mentioned a takedown in Round 3, I thought you were talking about the slip (though FightMetric counts it as a takedown, but they've always been hilariously inconsistent).

Came to say that. Koscheck is underrated now because he's an unlikeable asshole, but he was at the top of the division for a while. Tapped Crumble Johnson in a great display.
tapping 'crumble johnson' isn't very good by the sounds of it then

Yeah I was gonna say, didn't Ivan Menjivar (who later fought at 135) take him down and have him on his back several times in GSP's first fight? It was a back and forth fight IIRC.

Ivan Menjivar, Hughes, Mayhem, BJ, Koscheck, and Hendricks.
Ape technique. It takes you down.
You’re blind though, you couldn’t even distinguish if Adesanya had his hand on the ground.

GSP has been taken down 10 times in his career.

That actually makes sense, gymnasts are very explosive in their movements and I think that translated well to GSP exploding into takedowns.

Yeah, having full range of muscles fully developed helps to explode from any angle.

Serra took him down, if you know what I mean..

I am pretty sure GSP didn't start training gymnastics until after his ACL injury. He had much better TDs before the injury
Maybe it was to get that explosive takedowns back? His takedowns still looked pretty decent but yeah, after those knee injuries his explosiveness wasn’t the same.

Hendricks had more top time than gsp which is only guy to hold gsp down more than his opponent in 5 round fight.

Back