Has Diego Changed?

His fighting style now reminds me of Wanderlei Silva. Just brawling and swinging for the fences.

Both have seen the competition pass them by.

His fighting style now reminds me of Wanderlei Silva. Just brawling and swinging for the fences.

Both have seen the competition pass them by.

One of the best analysis of Diego I've seen. He's tried to become that fan friendly brawler.

ce022-5.gif

I really hope he has

Gil really picked him apart in that fight.

Well he changed his diet, he won't be eating raw meat before this fight.

But seriously, no. I'm picking Pearson.

Both points about his size and lack of explosive takedowns are very good. I haven't watched the Alessio fight since it happened, but wasn't he on Alessio's back in a standing position for a long time? If you're looking to win by outgrappling someone, getting to that position is good enough, really, so I do give him credit for his grappling in that fight.

you're right, his grappling was there in that sense. but i was struck that he just couldn't get the td.

The three key losses were Koscheck, Fitch and Penn.

Koscheck- He was sick, he looked like shit and he lost his undefeated record.

Fitch- Ragdolled him and humped him and bumped him down to 155.

Then he cut to 155 and looked like the old diego again. Maybe the cut to 155 gave him confidence. Whatever boost he got, he lost when BJ beat him. He used to win those Fight of the Night scraps (Karo, Stevenson, Guida). Now he loses them (Melendez, Ellenberger, and the robbery against Kampmann).

He had a good career and he seems content now to 'give the fans a show.' Considering, I think he actually lost his last five fights, and he banked 3 fight of the night bonuses anyway, at least he's getting paid.

This. He's reached Wanderlei "who cares if I win or lose as long as the fans get a show" status.

If you aren't going to win consistently then it's really all you have to offer the UFC.

No, and the division has passed him by. his technique is awful.

So basicly you never watched him when he was first in the UFC. He used to be one of the best and most exciting graplers at WW, out grappling guys like Nick and Karo. Now he is just a straight brawler who has abandoned his ground game.

If you don't think he has drastically changed his style and mentality then you probably never really watched him.

Diego is the new Leonard Garcia, tough as hell but fights very stupid. No gameplan, just all aggression.

He doesn't use kicks or is bad at them, and cant take anyone down to gnp anymore.

Still favorite fighter all time, he just needs to turn some of that aggression into confidence imo.

This. He's reached Wanderlei "who cares if I win or lose as long as the fans get a show" status.

If you aren't going to win consistently then it's really all you have to offer the UFC.

Only problem with that is he was probably more exciting as a grapple. His fights with Nick and Karo are two of the best in Ufc history

He's never been the same after BJ destroyed him. I think he internally accepted that he would never be champion after that fight and changed his style. He just threw all technique and skill out the window and started fighting for bonuses/to entertain fans, rather than to move up the ladder.

Don't know but I know which fights Diego will win and lose and he isn't losing this one.

method=get&s=diego-sanchez-gif.gif

Still crazy.

Huge Sanchez fan, here.

He's had some tough beats over the past few years but one thing you can never say is that he'll put on a boring fight.

he's got worse not progressed

Yep.

Diego has never been a technical fighter and at this point you really can't change something that you've been doing for your whole career. He's so sloppy with his punching it's embarrassing. He really should focus more on his ground game but the urge for him to be an entertainer clearly takes over whenever he fights. One of these days his chin is going to fail him and he is going to get absolutely slept.

Back