Has Diego Changed?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMAProfessional, Jun 7, 2014.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

Before every fight Diego and Team Jackson say he has become a changed fighter lol. I can't remember what fight it was exactly but his stand up had improved a lot and he actually did look like a better fighter. That was a long time ago, I think it was after his loss to Fitch.

Since then it seems he does nothing to change his style to become a top contender again. Every fight he comes out swinging, whiffing almost all of his strikes, and rarely going for a take down.

I really think he has the skill set to beat Pearson if he has improved his striking and mixes in take downs. If he tries to brawl he will get picked apart to a decision so he needs to throw in some take downs. Either way this will be an awesome fight regardless just because Diego brings it, win, lose, or draw.

2. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

He has finally gone back to working a lot more with Mike Winklejohn the Jackson's striking coach. He hasn't done that in a long time. Hope to see improved striking and better technique tonight.

3. Bogeyman

Bogeyman Electrical Cord Belt

He has changed after taking hundreds of punches to the head over the course of his career.

4. johplin6

johplin6 Green Belt

He needs to just wrestle. Ross will pick him apart tonight though.

5. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

he's got worse not progressed

6. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

used to be a aggressive grappler, now a punching bag who swings wildly

7. FinBJJ

FinBJJ Black Belt

I don't think so.

I see Pearson picking him apart with technique and Diego bitching how Pearson refused to brawl with him.

8. punky brewster

punky brewster Red Belt

YES!! YES!!! YES!!!

[​IMG]

Not really....

9. SgtElias

SgtElias Green Belt

The three key losses were Koscheck, Fitch and Penn.

Koscheck- He was sick, he looked like shit and he lost his undefeated record.

Fitch- Ragdolled him and humped him and bumped him down to 155.

Then he cut to 155 and looked like the old diego again. Maybe the cut to 155 gave him confidence. Whatever boost he got, he lost when BJ beat him. He used to win those Fight of the Night scraps (Karo, Stevenson, Guida). Now he loses them (Melendez, Ellenberger, and the robbery against Kampmann).

He had a good career and he seems content now to 'give the fans a show.' Considering, I think he actually lost his last five fights, and he banked 3 fight of the night bonuses anyway, at least he's getting paid.

10. elzar

elzar Red Belt

this is the thing about diego--he's a top control ground fighter who has sort of average wrestling. he can't take a lot of guys down: kos, alessio, bj (who else? trying to think). he's just not that good of a fighter skill wise apart from grappling and he's also oddly positioned between 144 and 170. he's too small for 170, but the cut is really hard for him at 155. he's a 'tweener

11. punky brewster

punky brewster Red Belt

He's definitely a guy that's up in his own head. When he first started, going all the way back to TUF, he 100%, genuinely believed he was going to win a UFC title at some point. I think he knows he'll never fight for the belt now, and I don't know if he's dealt with it emotionally.

I think the fight with Penn broke him mentally and emotionally, more than any other fight he's ever had.

12. SgtElias

SgtElias Green Belt

Both points about his size and lack of explosive takedowns are very good. I haven't watched the Alessio fight since it happened, but wasn't he on Alessio's back in a standing position for a long time? If you're looking to win by outgrappling someone, getting to that position is good enough, really, so I do give him credit for his grappling in that fight.

13. ncboy

ncboy Brown Belt

No, and the division has passed him by. his technique is awful.

14. BenjaminDuffy

BenjaminDuffy Sansabelt Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

I love Penn, but that fight just made me sad. It was one of the worst style matchups in title fight history: running straight at BJ Penn with poor striking technique was one of the most suicidal game plans in MMA. :icon_lol:

15. eNoq

eNoq Purple Belt

Yes he changed and is changing, for the worse.
    He's becoming a worse fighter every fight.

16. Shortdog

Shortdog Purple Belt

Im hoping his camp with Wink this time will result in a more diversified striking style.
    He needs to utilize his kicks like he did againts Luigi this fight.
    And when the opportunity presents itself he needs to gun for those takedowns.
    If he comes out just swinging and hoping to land like he has been doing lately its not gonna end up well for him again.
    He can win this fight tonight. But he has to be unpredictable and change things up.
    He says he has. But we will find out tonight if its just talk.

17. BlackDynamite36

BlackDynamite36 Orange Belt

Hopefully he's improved his striking,it's usually been shit. Has become more of a winger; gets overly engaged in a brawl and loses technique and form. Should stick to the grueling offensive top position that got him victories years ago. I know he likes to put on a good show for the fans, but he needs to protect himself a little more and start getting some wins under his belt. I just see Pierson outputting him if Diego tries to strike with him.

18. pclanadmin2

pclanadmin2 SFA3 Belt

hopefully his striking accuracy has improved.

19. Gritz**

Gritz** Banned Banned

Yes yes yes

20. jayBMX

jayBMX Brown Belt

[​IMG]

I really hope he has