• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has anyone watched this movie " The Witch " ??

I agree about the nitpick. Minor detail, but:

Seeing a human form seemed a bit out of place. I cant recall, but did we see the goat hoof or something? Because I thought it would have been cool to just see the hoof going up to an inverted knee and thats it.

It's been awhile since I've watched it but....

I seem to remember Black Phillip leads to her a house, she goes in and then there's this Lord of the Rings looking guy who's the Devil talking to her. I think they should have cut that entire scene out and just left it up to your imagination on what went on in the cabin. Or maybe show Phillip staring at her and then you see a look of understanding or something come across her face like she's communicating to him.

I thought it was great. Couldn't get it out of my mind for a few days after watching it.

My only complaint was ....
actually showing the devil in human form. I think they should have kept him a goat form. It just felt unnecessary.

"Woudst thou like to live deliciously?"

She agrees to make a pact with the devil but when she mentions that she can't write her name in the book, he says that he'll guide her hand. I think it makes sense that he transformed into his human form for that.

Oh, and per the reason that I believe it's in all their heads, but specifically that the girl is the agent of evil: not only does she survive, but throughout the film, she is the object of suspicion and derision by her family. She is specifically isolated. I liked what Eggers said here:
https://www.timeout.com/sydney/film/robert-eggers-on-the-witch

In other words, he couldn't have paid homage to the period without attributing to the film the same tactile sense of reality contained in the beliefs of the time.

Yet, if you read between the lines, it's quite clear he chose this ambiguity for the effect. Otherwise, if the only point is that the witch is real, why is ambiguity required in the first place? It would simply be a straightforward story of a witch terrifying a family. The point is that the story is real to the family in the film just as it was real to American Puritan families of that period, but we are not those families; we are the viewer.

I thought the family was eating diseased corn and therefore hallucinating. Ergot poisoning.

I saw it has good reviews from my favorite critics for being unconventional and fresh. Yet, at the same time, few of my mates who actually watched it told me that I might find it rather boring. So I'd like to know your opinions if you guys happened to watch the film.

I liked it. If you can handle movies being slower in order to have a great plot that builds to a nice ending.

an-evil-demon-hare.gif

<{Heymansnicker}>
@Kardashians Look at this adorable creature, don't you just want to pet it ??

Came in wondering why someone bumped an old thread

There's no problem with his interpretation. You're arguing over subjectivity at this point.

The movie works perfectly well as a literal interpretation.
Yet it's a psychological thriller, and the scenes with the witch just terrifying the family as a group, onscreen, never occur.

It easily could have been that explicit. It consciously chose not to be.

Indeed.

The problem with your interpretation is that it empowers the perspective of all the members of the family when the one thing that Director has made unequivocally explicit is that the story is intended to hold Thomasin as the narrative center, and focus of study. The final scene itself invokes and echoes the most disturbing scene in the entire movie which involved the "real" witch. This aft-shadowing is a powerful hint to what is real, and what is merely perceived (unfiltered to our eyes) to be real that isn't.

I read an interview where he stated that he didn't intend on Thomasin being the narrative center, but once they started filming and he saw how well the actress was doing it went in that direction.

I dislike the idea of this being a corn fungus induced hallucination. There is no reason to expect the audience to make that connection, it's not common knowledge, so it's unreasonable for the director to do that.

Additionally, I don't like the narrative that Thomasin is having a mental break due to her strict religious upbringing. That makes this a far less enjoyable story.

I see why it can be interpreted that way, I just don't like it.

IMO, using the corn fungus and/or a mental break to explain this would be like blaming the events in The Shining as a carbon monoxide leak.

I read an interview where he stated that he didn't intend on Thomasin being the narrative center, but once they started filming and he saw how well the actress was doing it went in that direction.

I dislike the idea of this being a corn fungus induced hallucination. There is no reason to expect the audience to make that connection, it's not common knowledge, so it's unreasonable for the director to do that.

Additionally, I don't like the narrative that Thomasin is having a mental break due to her strict religious upbringing. That makes this a far less enjoyable story.

I see why it can be interpreted that way, I just don't like it.

IMO, using the corn fungus and/or a mental break to explain this would be like blaming the events in The Shining as a carbon monoxide leak.
The fungus is a joke. That's not an actual interpretation.

The way people are reading this is a slasher film, but it clearly isn't a slasher film. The film itself is experienced as a dream of madness.

I think it's pretty straight forward and literal.

The family moved onto land that lives a witch and the land is cursed. She steals the baby and uses the baby fat and parts for ointments. (There's an old book detailing what parts are needed for flying ointment which this is based on).

Witches can take other take other forms. In this case, she takes the form of a young woman and seduces the brother into her house where she poisons him. I thought that was brilliantly set up early in the movie with a brief shot of him staring at Thoamsin's breasts showing that he's getting at that age. The Witch used that against him.

The crops are poisoned and next she wants Thomasin. Thomasin is vulnerable at her age due to the strict upbringing but also wanting power and magical abilities. If you read the folklore around these times, witchcraft was extremely common and young girls loved the idea of becoming witches. Even now, you have girls being witches for Halloween and the 90s had a big boom in witchcraft. Girls are just drawn to it.

She is given power by the devil through Black Phillip and ultimately joins the witches coven.

Loved it but it's not for everyone.

My only complaint was ....
actually showing the devil in human form. I think they should have kept him a goat form. It just felt unnecessary.

Loved the acting, pacing, visuals, music and ending. An excellent horror movie but you have to be into the subject. I can imagine a lot of people being bored to tears from it.

I loved that part because it lets the audience know that it isnt in her head but they still kept vague by only showing you his boots

After the Shining, this is probably my favourite horror film.

Yet it's a psychological thriller, and the scenes with the witch just terrifying the family as a group, onscreen, never occur.

It easily could have been that explicit. It consciously chose not to be.

{<huh}

And Friday the 13th decided to not have Jason attack the counselors as a group. As do most horror movies. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Loved this movie the more views I've had. Never realized until the third watch that every scene has the noise of russling bushes or somebody commenting on hearing something. So eerie.

As DC would say, “there are levels to this.”

The vvitch is the type of movie that proves the magic of artistry in hollywood still exists.

Yes. Makes my hair stand up when Black Phillip starts talking. Then her signing the witches bible \m/

The witches Sabbath had accurate Enochian chants too

I don't believe in Magick, but a good friend of mine does. He studies it in the same way you or I might train in a martial art. According to him Enochian Magic is one of the most powerful and dangerous systems. He's been studying various magical traditions for thirty years, and says he would not attempt to use the Enochian Calls because the entities they summon are too difficult to control.

I don't believe in Magick, but a good friend of mine does. He studies it in the same way you or I might train in a martial art. According to him Enochian Magic is one of the most powerful and dangerous systems. He's been studying various magical traditions for thirty years, and says he would not attempt to use the Enochian Calls because the entities they summon are too difficult to control.

Have him pm me... :)

Back