Has anyone trained Krav Maga before?

here's a story that my tell you something about its effectivness of Krav Maga...

A Krav Maga instructor came along to a Muay Thai session that is taught at the Roger Gracie academy in London. During sparring, the KM guy starting going pretty hard on his sparring partners and was pretty relentless with no regard for his partners ability. The M.T instructor (who is damn good) wasn't too happy and thought he would match like-for-like.

The KM guy didn't really let up and so the M.T trainer thought he'd see what the KM guy really has and went to use more techniques while using a fair amount of power...the result came to be that the Krav Maga instructor had nothing on the Muay Thai instructor and, apparently took such a beating, he never returned.

The moral of the story - Train M.T!!

Krav Maga is being taken out of context when you pit it against a style such as Muay Thai. Krav Maga isn't for competition use.. it's an effective style meant to teach large numbers in a short time how to defend themselves in a combat situation (mentally as well as physically) regardless of training (even if you've never thrown a punch) or physical conditioning.. it takes natural reactions and teaches how to defend from that so that you don't fumble for technique. That being said, Krav Maga is like a pistol for an unarmed man. Putting it against Muay Thai, a system that takes lots of practice and body conditioning, is just like giving a man a pistol and telling him to take out a machine gunner from a few hundred yards. Others may say that K.M. is the end all style. It wasn't created for that. The end all aspect is a marketing gimmic. Take it for what it is and don't for what it's not. And, yes, K.M. works. I was attacked by a person wielding a knife. I used the K.M. knife defense techniques and had the person disarmed and at my mercy in seconds.

in the ring, M.T. in the street Krav, diffrent contexts, diffrent arts. krav is simpler, easier to pick up quickly, and better for teaching newbies street defence, M.T. is better for 'polishing' guys with some background already, not that you couldn't start with it of course.

Krav is really good for the streets but at the same time no amount of training is going to prepare you for 4 on 1 or getting a bottle cracked over your head. I took it for awhile and there was interesting things I learned. The knife defenses were helpful but even the best instructors tell you that if a guy has a gun and wants your wallet give it to him.

tim larkin says "violence is rarely the answer, but when it is it's the only answer"
it seems fitting for the supposed "shortcomings" of KM. i've used it in situations where i would have never dreamed of going to the ground and prevailed. i've also done live fire sparring with three on one and never got taken or knocked down. it works.. training is everything.

Real Krav Maga is some nasty brutal stuff. The guy that created it I think his name is Iri is a bad, bad man. It is plain, simple and effective.

The problem is it has become a McDojo chain. The local TKD school by my office started teaching it and I was somewhat familiar so I thought I gotta check it out. It was 20 housewives wearing KM T-shirts and KM sweats and KM handwraps doing something between cardio kickboxing and very, very basic women's self defense.

So I think the answer is, as always, check out the teacher. Check out the school.

to see what krav maga is truly meant for you guys should pick up the us army's 3-25.150 field manual. it's got some bjj in it, but most of the strikes are exact km replicas. bear in mind also that most soldiers have two weeks hand to hand combat training. so the videos where they say that military's "deadly" styles are bullshit... do them for the same amount of time as your average MT figter and see how bullshit they are

have your muay thai instructors strap on fifty or so pounds of gear, a pair of heavy boots and throw in some gunfire and explosions and turn a blind corner to being attacked by someone trained to fight with all that shit on... it could really change the outcome of the fight.. don't take a military fighting style that's meant for a guy that's never fought before to learn in a couple weeks and pit it against a conditoined athelete using a style that takes years to perfect... it's just ridiculous to even consider

I have no direct expierence in KM but I can say that I had an oportunity to go to a week long instructors certification course that cost $700-. The point of the course was for police DT instructos to add to their own cirriculum and not to award guys black belts or have them open schools. That being said obviously KM in that context is not for those who want to train every week to win a fight it is for people who want to train as little as possible with somethng as simple as possible.

well, come on.. it's highly unlikely that as a soldier you'll have to go hand-to-hand with someone, but there is that chance.. KM can teach you how to effectively deal with it and still give you time to learn other more important things like marksmanship, tactics, etc.

i guess it's all what you're looking for. if you don't like the real street stuff for striking, then go to a (dare i say it) dojo and learn kenpo or muay thai or something else. just don't go looking for zebras in a horse pasture

MY indirect expierence with KM is through Goshin JJJ on which KM is heavily based. It wasn't for me. I truely don't beleive in leaning choreographed resposes to sudden attacks. Real life don't work like that. I think MMA is far superior in that you repsond to the threat with whatever technique your mind chooses is the best in the very brief moment it has to decide. If one is going to a conitueing Km school and not just one of their seminar shortcuts and it is art that you feels suits you then you can't go wrong.

While I agree with a lot of that post, that's one of the great things about krav, simple responses are built in, and when you see that attack you dont have to choose how to react, you just react. sometimes that slight improvement in reaction time could be the edge you need.

just a thought, I agree a range of techniques is great to have, but sometimes the simple approach also has merits, especially if your training lots of people the basics ASAP, like the army, or in fairness police trainers, have to do. sadly perhaps, most police don't have the time / enthusiasm to train 'fully' in a martial art.

just a thought, I agree a range of techniques is great to have, but sometimes the simple approach also has merits, especially if your training lots of people the basics ASAP, like the army, or in fairness police trainers, have to do. sadly perhaps, most police don't have the time / enthusiasm to train 'fully' in a martial art.

Sad but true. Problem is guys go around thinking they are competant because they went to a seminar shortcut the year before when in reality they are only slightly better off than they were before.

I truely enjoy all things involving the combat arts but even if you don't, and your job requires it, then at the very least it should be viewed as medicine that has to be taken regularly.

I saw some guys who had 'Krav Maga fight team' on the back of their shirts at a local MMA show. I'll say this for them...they were tough. One guy won his match with a very aggressive style. I think they said he was 3 and 0.

The other guy was in his first match and lost a very close decision. He was going against a guy from a well-known BJJ school (SBG) and it went the distance. He was escaping from armbars, etc, etc. He was a really tall and lanky guy. If he had established a jab he probably could have won it.

But I think it all comes down to that universal truth. It isn't what people say they train it is if they put their heart and soul into getting prepped for a fight that really matters.

Real Krav Maga is some nasty brutal stuff. The guy that created it I think his name is Iri is a bad, bad man. It is plain, simple and effective.

The problem is it has become a McDojo chain. The local TKD school by my office started teaching it and I was somewhat familiar so I thought I gotta check it out. It was 20 housewives wearing KM T-shirts and KM sweats and KM handwraps doing something between cardio kickboxing and very, very basic women's self defense.

So I think the answer is, as always, check out the teacher. Check out the school.

That has been my experience with it as well (with the exception of my last posting above). Usually the schools are tremendously expensive and have a poster with this athletically slim (and good looking) woman wearing spandex kneeing a bag. The spandex is also fashionably color coded with her hand wraps. It looks like the ultimate advertisement for cardio kickboxing.

But as I mentioned in my previous post above....you get a group of athletic guys who want to really train together and push themselves it really doesn't matter what the label for it is. Definitely can turn out some good fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back