Has anyone have their appendix removed?

MMR

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a ruptured appendix and having surgery on Tuesday to have it removed. I was wondering how long the recovery was before you started lifting or training again? The other thing I worry about is if I will need to change my diet. I have asked my Dr. but he is being very vague about these things. I just want to have some kind of idea.

If he's vague, it's probably because it varies a lot from person to person. Ask for more detail, or ask another doctor.

Had mine out 20+ years ago.. you'll be fine and your diet wont have to change.

if your appendix is rutured, then you would have surgery immediately--has things changed?

I had my appendix out in college. I went to the ER and within two hours I was getting it taken out. My professors didn't let me make up my three tests scheduled on the next day. I had to drop one and another one made me take two finals, one was standardized for Chemistry and I got the 2nd highest grade in the class, the 2nd final was much, much harder, only I had to take it and was taken immediately after the 1st one making 3.5 hours of chem finals.

Oh yeah--Surgery thursday--went to work on Monday. Probably gym in two weeks after the staples fell out. Probably sooner with laser surgery.

I have a ruptured appendix and having surgery on Tuesday to have it removed. I was wondering how long the recovery was before you started lifting or training again? The other thing I worry about is if I will need to change my diet. I have asked my Dr. but he is being very vague about these things. I just want to have some kind of idea.

I had mine out when I was 13 years old. Brutal operation at the time. I remember I couldn't skateboard or play soccer for 6 weeks at least, and I think my full offtime was 3-6 months.

I put up with appendicitis for days before it eventually burst. The pain was like nothing else and I nearly died from it. I have a 4" scar from the surgery. I don't think you'd be typing away at your pc with a ruptured appendix, but anything is possible.

The morphine or pethidine they had me on was great.

edit: same here mrsneaky, I was fucked for a good few months.

if your appendix is rutured, then you would have surgery immediately--has things changed?

I had my appendix out in college. I went to the ER and within two hours I was getting it taken out. My professors didn't let me make up my three tests scheduled on the next day. I had to drop one and another one made me take two finals, one was standardized for Chemistry and I got the 2nd highest grade in the class, the 2nd final was much, much harder, only I had to take it and was taken immediately after the 1st one making 3.5 hours of chem finals.

Oh yeah--Surgery thursday--went to work on Monday. Probably gym in two weeks after the staples fell out. Probably sooner with laser surgery.

My appendix ruptured at the end of July. I walked around with it ruptured for about 4 days they are estimating based of the CT scan, when the pain started and stopped. and my white blood cell count. I was having pain that I thought was a pulled abdominal muscle. I would of held off going to the ER even longer if I wasn't pissing every 20 minutes. I spent a week in the hospital receiving antibiotics and was released until surgery. They wanted to hold off on the surgery because of how bad the infection was and how inflamed my intestines and colon were. I've been on antibiotics since being released. I've already lost 20 pounds from all this and want to get back in the gym.

I put up with appendicitis for days before it eventually burst. The pain was like nothing else and I nearly died from it. I have a 4" scar from the surgery. I don't think you'd be typing away at your pc with a ruptured appendix, but anything is possible.

The morphine or pethidine they had me on was great.

edit: same here mrsneaky, I was fucked for a good few months.

They are doing lathroscopic surgery so I won't have a huge scar unless they need to remove some intestine due damage from the infection. Older people keep telling me I am lucky to be alive. Antibiotics and Percocet work wonders.

Last edited:
Even if they are able to do it laparoscopic you should give it at least 4 better 6 weeks before you start lifting again. The fascia takes 3 months until it is fully healed.

Not my appendix, but I had my gallbladder removed a year and a half ago. It was done laparoscopicly. I was out a month total from lifting, BJJ, running, etc.

TS, you're a tough SOB.

My boss had his gallbladder removed about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He's gone to the gym, but can't do anything significant.

I had my appendix removed less than a year ago. Wait for the pain to go away is pretty much it. I dont know why any diet changes would be necessary.

Wait, a ruptured appendix would be a emergency and call for surgery immediately.

I had my appendix removed less than a year ago. Wait for the pain to go away is pretty much it. I dont know why any diet changes would be necessary.

Wait, a ruptured appendix would be a emergency and call for surgery immediately.

I was asking about the diet changes because the few protein shakes I have had upset my stomach worse than normal. You would see why I haven't had the surgery yet if you read my post. Thanks for the replies, I guess I 'm looking at another 6 weeks or more. I did buy UFC 2010 from Amazon today so hopefully that will keep me busy.

I had mine taken out about 2-3 years ago and was out a month. I had mine taken out via laparoscopicly as well. You will get to learn how many stomach muscles it takes to shit and the joy it brings after surgery.

has mine out when i was 9y/o, they got it before it ruptured

usually if its perf'd they have to treat with IV antibiotics first but since they took yours out, i would take it slow and let yourself heal up

dont rush things and ultimately you will be the best gauge of when u recover

I had mine took out around 5 years ago now. It had ruptured and I was admitted for emergency surgery to prevent the spread of any infection to the rest of my body.

After having surgery I was released from hospital after 3 days, and was told healing time could anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I went back to BJJ after 5 weeks but was only really able to drill positions for around another month. I would advise doing no training for around 5/6 weeks. Work your way slowly back in to your old routine.

I didn't have to change my eating habits, but I did anyway but it was out of personal choice.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to quit raw meat. Other than that you should be fine.

It is possible that your body reacts different to certain kinds of food (diary, acid rich food and others) for a couple of weeks but this should normalize over time.

Back