Has Anyone Else Watched “Sunderland Til I Die” on Netflix?

HaulParris

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I binge-watched the show, and would recommend it to anyone who’s into football:

What I appreciated about it wasn’t so much the action on the pitch, but the behind-the-scenes look into what happens during a transfer window, how the youth academy is integrated into the team, and the multitude of unheralded people who work hard to keep the team going.

I haven't but thanks for the intro.
Looks to be 8 episodes of 35 min each.

Lol @ recommending anything Sunderland related for anyone who is in to football.
Like recommending a tour of Auschwitz to Jewish children. Sure, you may learn something but why put yourself through the emotional strain of witnessing the sight of where the futures, hopes and dreams of thousands died?

I watched it and enjoyed their misery.

As a Sunderland fan I thoroughly enjoyed it, yes it showed us getting pummelled pretty much every week which was a dark time in our club, that the one thing that matters are the fans are so loyal and dedicated there is no comparison there is so much passion it doesn’t matter what league we are in. WE ARE SUNDERLAND

Can’t wait for season 2

I hope there is a second season too. Anyone can google the match results or watch a highlight/lowlight reel on youtube, but the behind-the-scenes ongoings are what’s really interesting (at least to me).

I hope there is a second season too. Anyone can google the match results or watch a highlight/lowlight reel on youtube, but the behind-the-scenes ongoings are what’s really interesting (at least to me).
There is already a second season in the making hopefully it shows the good times

This was great. Enjoyed how the different people were presented; my opinions on them ebbed and flowed.

Before they started filming they had no idea double relegation was coming so although that's unfortunate for Sunderland and their fans I guess it makes the show.
Mid table mediocrity would have been dull.

Promotion and relegation is what US sports lack, if Sunderland were a US team finishing last in the league would have meant great draft picks for 2 years in a row.

Before they started filming they had no idea double relegation was coming so although that's unfortunate for Sunderland and their fans I guess it makes the show.

Promotion and relegation is what US sports lack, if Sunderland were a US team finishing last in the league would have meant great draft picks for 2 years in a row.
Yeah the double relegation is an awesome primer for an American like myself into the economic differences between the leagues and how soccer/football clubs run.
It also seemed like it was somewhat censored by the club itself in terms of them putting minimal statistics up. I'd love to have been presented some more financials, but I'm guessing the new owners basically had to sign off on it being released?

I think when Ellis short payed all our debt off we were in about 100 million worth of debt.at the time we were a badly ran club and just handed out ridiculous contracts to players and staff, like jack Roswell he didn’t play one game that season and he was on like 70 grand a week

Hoping the new series highlights the Sunderland first team vs Newcastle UNDER 21s.

Last edited:
Yeah the double relegation is an awesome primer for an American like myself into the economic differences between the leagues and how soccer/football clubs run.
It also seemed like it was somewhat censored by the club itself in terms of them putting minimal statistics up. I'd love to have been presented some more financials, but I'm guessing the new owners basically had to sign off on it being released?

Like any documentary, there was very likely editing and censoring, to both tell a cohesive story with an arc, and to tell it in a way that the filmmaker / producer wants it to be seen.

At the same time, I felt that this series was a more honest portrayal of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and felt more genuine than the Man City series on Amazon or the Juventus & Salford serues on Netflix - while all of these were very well-made and worth a watch, they often felt like a self-congratulatory infomercial, rather than a documentary. Just my opinion :)

Like any documentary, there was very likely editing and censoring, to both tell a cohesive story with an arc, and to tell it in a way that the filmmaker / producer wants it to be seen.

At the same time, I felt that this series was a more honest portrayal of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and felt more genuine than the Man City series on Amazon or the Juventus & Salford serues on Netflix - while all of these were very well-made and worth a watch, they often felt like a self-congratulatory infomercial, rather than a documentary. Just my opinion :)
Totally agree about the glorified infomercial/self-congratulatory documentary angle. ESPN makes a ton of those or shoots segments in that style.

My point was more "I wonder who came up with the idea, who signed off on it, who the film liasoned with from the club, and whether the new owner was into the idea or not"
From the new owners perspective it's an INCREDIBLE boost to brand. They're gonna have so many random schmucks from the states and elsewhere who know their team.

There's pros and cons to both systems imo. I do think the relegation battle in soccer can be one of the most exciting things in sports (because there's a lot of depth, it's signficantly less interesting in rugby league and rugby union for example), but equally the american system (and I guess the australian AFL too) is much better for creating parity and a constant cycle of teams devolping quality young players. Though on the other hand it promotes "tanking".

As a Sunderland fan I thoroughly enjoyed it, yes it showed us getting pummelled pretty much every week which was a dark time in our club, that the one thing that matters are the fans are so loyal and dedicated there is no comparison there is so much passion it doesn’t matter what league we are in. WE ARE SUNDERLAND
I live on the North Side of the Tyne and got to saw I love the coastline from Roker Pier to South Shields.

Back