Has anybody tried REAL moonshine before?

I live in Georgia, so there's plenty of moonshine around here. I don't drink though, so I've never tried it. I could get it for free if I wanted it.

A lot of my friends like Apple Pie moonshine.

I've tried proper Poteen (pronounced putcheen) which I would think is the Irish equivalent.

We use it for rubbing into greyhounds muscles and man it burns like fuck to drink.

Although the strength depends on who makes it.

I've had stuff from different operators out of PA, and as you might guess the quality varies widely.

I had some pretty strong rye whiskey that was awesome and some corn liquor that was entirely forgettable and pretty similar to some legal stuff I bought(Georgia Moon IIRC).

Yeah I have, it was fucking brutal like drinking methyl hydrate ( I assume), I don't remember exactly what proof it was but it was ridiculously high, I managed to choke down 2 coffee mug's full and must say I got quite fucked up and woke up in the morning half in half out of the front door of my house with no clue how I got there, I also drank a case of beer before the shine so that probably played a role.

Way to throw in the "I drank a case of beer before" lol

Funny that moonshiners make fun of people for their weak alcohol tastes yet most moonshine that is sold in stores is flavored with complicated things like apple pie and blueberry and peach and all that. You don't see fucking apple pie flavored whiskey, that's for sure.

Yes, back in high school. I went to school with a kid from a lumberjack family. The moonshine was strong as hell, and I didn't even drink a lot of it at all. The kid that gave it to me died years later from alcohol poisoning. I'm pretty sure moonshine was involved.

Tried it once about three years ago.... once was enough for me. That shit got me WAY to fucked up and I ended the night puking my guts out for the first time in almost 8 years.

Ive tried multiple moonshines, and im no moonshine expert. But most of the ones ive tried were pleasent enough. But last new years eve my buddy gave me a bottle cap size shot of his moonshine and i couldnt breath for 45 seconds. It literally took my breath away. Burned like motor oil.

Now if i remember correctly he told me that his moonshine had not finished the process that normal moonshine goes through, which is why it was so strong. As you can tell i know nothing about moonshine other than ive tried multiple kinds, and some are sweet, and some have a blistering left hook to the throat.

Once and it was not pleasant. My uncle had given me a very large mason jar of it years back. So that week I called a few friends, let them know and we decided we would drink it at my buddies place over the weekend because he was going to have some people over.

Long story short. Weekend comes, Three of us finish off the entire jar, I wake up the next morning and my nuts are in a chicks mouth who is seemingly sleeping soundly. She was completely naked and the room smelled like pepper jack cheese. Get dressed as quick as possible and when I stumble out to the living room about 6 or 7 other people are sleeping all over the place. My one buddy who drank the moonshine with me was hunched over a keyboard with nothing on except the dirties fucking pair of pants I've ever seen (don't know how they got that dirty) and had a head of lettuce in his left hand that had one bite taken out of it.

I am legit freaked out a little at this point because I can't remember anything as to why or what the fuck has just happened. I just snag my shoes, grab some granola bars from his cupboard and proceeded to get the hell out of there. I get 1 block down the road and low and behold my other buddy Terry is in my backseat fucking sleeping (Must of smoked a J or something and passed out). I turn around, go back to the house and drag him out of the car. As I'm dragging he wakes up and tells me " get the mother fucking hotdogs before the bitch eats them all". So random and I didn't know what the hell he meant. He stumbles to the door, I drive off and am sweating bullets all the way home.

When I get home I go straight to bed and slept for hours. Woke up and was expecting a text or missed call from somebody aaaaand nothing. What I did notice was someone apparently stabbed me. Not a forceful I'm going to kill you stab, but a quick poke of a pocket knife on my right shoulder. I looked in the mirror and had claw marks ALL OVER my back. I figured whatever I did with this girl (who smelled like cheese and was so easily able to sleep so soundly with my balls in her mouth all night) was getting extremely rough and violent.

Never again.

Looks like we have a contender for post of the year already.

Did you ever end up joining MASH?

wi-popcorn-608.jpg

I had a bottle of some legit stuff that my grandfather made (He's a total redneck from Kentucky), but I didn't get any of it as my friends dropped the bottle it was in.

I don't think I missed out on anything though.

I've had real moonshine. The shit that is probably 99.9% alcohol.

Never again.

My wife is from Kentucky, so...yes. There's some legit crafting involved with the good stuff. It's not like they're making a batch of pruno or some shit.

For recipes/methods check out the firefox book series. Good reference for all the finer points of Appalachian living.
http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebook.aspx

Ya my step dads family in Kentucky makes it, I have no idea what you're talking about it tastes like gasoline. It is super potent though.

Yes. My grandfather's family lost their land when the local sheriff caught them and blackmailed them to hand it over. It was either that or his father and brothers went to prison.

He once told me of a story about how he and his oldest brother were in the woods making some and the still blew up. Scared him shitless at 10 years old and he said he'd never run so fast in his life.

Also, my grandmother's "boyfriend" still makes it and sells it. I have some of his in my cabinet now. There aren't too many of them left though. All the old guys are dying or can't do it and no young people are taking over.

Back