Has anybody tried REAL moonshine before?

MC3521

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me about 5 shot worth of moonshine. It was produced from corn and such and is 100 proof.
It was distilled legally in a small "distillery" in VA and was pretty awesome.

I gave up casual and serious drinking a while back but I thought that I would just take 4 or 5 drinks of it.

I took 5 shots over a three hour period and I don't feel drunk, although I wouldn't want to drive.

The booze itself tastes like nothing. There is a slight burn going down and a warmness in the stomach, but it is pleasant. I can see why Popcorn Sutton never wanted the stuff around him. It's easy to drink and very potent.

Why would you want to drink something that tastes like nothing? What is the point of that?
Well I don't. Moonshine is a part of American history and my family history so I thought I would try.

No but I would certainly love to.

100 proof isn't all that strong, just a little bit stronger than most spirits.

I got some homemade apple pie moonshine sitting right next to me.

Ive had some peach moonshine, it was delicious but it wasn't mine so I only had a chance to taste it. It was very smooth.

100 proof isn't all that strong, just a little bit stronger than most spirits.

Most moonshiners proof it down to make it drinkable without having to mix it.

I helped a few guys finish off a bottle of moonshine almost ten years ago. I ended up blacking out, woke up next to an ugly girl, and had a hangover, iirc.

I had some homemade lemoncello on NYE.

It was made with everclear and resulted in my time traveling.

Ive had some peach moonshine, it was delicious but it wasn't mine so I only had a chance to taste it. It was very smooth.

I distilled peach moonshine when I was a kid, in the woods. Pretty good.

You see? I don't get that. I count getting drunk as a downside of liquor. It means I can't drink a drink I love (gin) as much as I want to because I'd become a black out drunk.

I drink whiskey straight and don't black out to often.

I normally go through about half a 1/5, but I've polished them off without losing time.

Yeah I have, it was fucking brutal like drinking methyl hydrate ( I assume), I don't remember exactly what proof it was but it was ridiculously high, I managed to choke down 2 coffee mug's full and must say I got quite fucked up and woke up in the morning half in half out of the front door of my house with no clue how I got there, I also drank a case of beer before the shine so that probably played a role.

Yeah, giving it a shot sounds right.

But this sounds like...neutral grain spirits, essentially. Why would anyone want to drink that as opposed to gin, whiskey, et cetera?

Well, there are places in this country where liquor is not readily available or even accessible.
Whiskey like we know it, takes skill, aging, tons of money, and experience.
Gin, same thing applies.

Corn whiskey moonshine is really about the buzz and the drunk, plus the fact that it is part of folklore.
This stuff is basically a neutral spirit so it is easy to disguise--we hid the stuff in water bottles in Iraq/Kuwait.

Back