Hard times ahead for Aldo and Pettis

doozer

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Surprising not a thread about them fighting each other. Not too long ago the champs where almost split between Americans and Brazilians now Aldo is the last one standing of the Brazilians. The reason is that Brazilian fighters have a basis in jujitsu and american generally in wrestling.
We are at an age where "transitional" martial arts (that choice where the fight will take place) are the most important base for a fighter. With the loss of Barau to Dillashaw the champs all have a basis in wrestling, and jodo for Rousey... except Aldo and Pettis. I think that they aren't going to be able to hold their titles much longer (and I quite like Pettis).
If Aldo gets past Mendez he's in the clear at featherweight for a bit if he stays there, but he isn't much of a finisher any more and Mendez one the first round till he got caught, plus he's greatly improved, something I haven't seen much from Aldo.
Pettis is about the face a nasty gauntlet with wrestling based Melendez and Thompson, plus Khabib's Sambo takedowns. If he can make it through that he is in the clear for a bit. But I expect they will have both lost before their challege is over.

That takedown defense from Aldo is absurdly good though. Dillashaw didn't beat Barao because of his wrestling base either, by the way.

That takedown defense from Aldo is absurdly good though. Dillashaw didn't beat Barao because of his wrestling base either, by the way.

I don't see TJ holding that belt for a long time, lots of prospects in ten BW division

And interesting point, i guess time will tell.

I don't see TJ holding that belt for a long time, lots of prospects in ten BW division

Anything can happen in MMA. I didn't see him beating Barao in the first place. He looked absolutely phenomenal though. I can't hate on the kid. His stand-up has improved by leaps and bounds. I think that belt might become a hot potato though. I do expect Barao to eventually make it back to a title shot. He's a really good fighter.

actually none of the champs won their belt by wrestling.

Barao lost in a mostly stand-up fight, was finished on his feet.
Anderson lost in a mostly stand-up fight, was finished on his feet 2x.

Wrastling vs BJJ didn't really factor much in either of their title losses.

You think because Aldo has'nt got JOs recently hes suddebky list his power? His opponents are becoming more hesitant because hes a KO artist.

Aldo is pretty much sailing after Mendez but the LW div is stacked and I do agree someone will lose their belt and I'm thinkn Pettis. Fan of both

Did you say Mendes was winning the first round before he got KO'd? He was getting pummeled on the feet and stuffed through out the round.

Barao lost in a mostly stand-up fight, was finished on his feet.
Anderson lost in a mostly stand-up fight, was finished on his feet 2x.

Wrastling vs BJJ didn't really factor much in either of their title losses.

agree with this post. disagree with TS. and I don't see Aldo losing to anyone in FW... although I thought the same about Barao.

Did you say Mendes was winning the first round before he got KO'd? He was getting pummeled on the feet and stuffed through out the round.

This. Aldo won that first round, even if it had gone to the judges.

Exactly.

There are also about a hundred million more people in America than their are in Brazil. I think Americans also have more money. So, I would venture a guess there are a lot more kids in wrestling than their are training BJJ in Brazil. It makes sense.

That, and ofc the unified rules, favoring wrestlers helps a bunch!

Back