hand speed

korleone1911

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is the part of my game that I'm working right now, the most. How do you guys work it and what kind of results have you had.

also, how have you measured your progress (just personal "feel")?

I checked the sticky and there was some good information in there, but the link to the article was dead and I would like some other ideologies on this.

Well I know what helps me a lot is working on my posterior chain (backsquat and lots of deadlifts being a few of the key exercises I use). Having a strong posterior chain will increase your explosiveness and in turn your power in your striking.

I had this problem, it really showed once i dropped down to light weight where everybody was so much faster. I took my first bad loss to a guy who made me feel very very very slow.

what i had to do was loosen up, i had to start thinking of my hands as balls at the end of the chain and snapping them out and back. One of the easiest ways to tell if i was doing it right is when i would shadow box in my hoodie, i'd listen to how loud my sleaves snapped.

the louder the snap, the faster the strike and the return.

In practice i found, its important to always be thinking when i was sparring, because when you tire you loose focus and go back to pushing your punches instead of popping them.

you have to recondition by always trying to punch faster and not harder. speed kills in stand up... its awkward at first but its like power cleans, once it clicks suddenly the results triple and jump above and beyond anything you've seen or experienced before.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
I had this problem, it really showed once i dropped down to light weight where everybody was so much faster. I took my first bad loose to a guy who made me feel very very very slow.

what i had to do was loosen up, i had to start thinking of my hands as balls at the end of the chain and snapping them out and back. One of the easiest ways to tell if i was doing it right is when i would shadow box in my hoodie, i'd listen to how loud my sleaves snapped.

the louder the snap, the faster the strike and the return.

In practice i found, its important to always be thinking when i was sparring, because when you tire you loose focus and go back to pushing your punches instead of popping them.

you have to recondition by always trying to punch faster and not harder. speed kills in stand up... its awkward at first but its like power cleans, once it clicks suddenly the results triple and jump above and beyond anything you've seen or experienced before.

hope that helps.

man... really good insight right here. thank you!

Back