Hamstring strain while on SS, advice please.

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been running SS for the past month. I'm enjoying it and making slow but steady progress. Indeed, I have experianced the Joy of Squats for the first time.

Everything was fine until Friday which, since I am running Practical Programing, was Squat, Deadlift and SOHP.

The Squats were tough, but I expected that, especially since I was feeling some DOMS from my last session. I just manned up and made sure I did each rep to the correct depth. As always, there was a real sense of achievement(and relief!)when I finished my last set of five.

The problem came when I started to warm up for Deadlift; I started to feel pain and tightness in my right hamstring. I could feel it even during my light, warm up sets and by the time I started my work set, I was seriously considering giving DL a miss. But in the end I just manned up and did the set of 5.

Since then I've had pain and tightness in my right hamstring. It is not debilitating, but it's definitely there. So far I've rested it and tried some ice and Ibuleve Gel. Any other advice? My next Squat session is on Wednesday and my next Squat + Deadlift is on Friday. I don't want to go back to having to split the exercises, i'e Squat on Wednesday and DL on Friday, but I obviously don't want to make the injury any worse either.

Do you stretch really good before workouts?

anyway, take a week of lower body. When you come back deload your squat and deadlift, if it feels bad maybe take another week off.

"If it hurts, don't do it". This is true for every kind of pain other than DOMS or muscular fatigue (it is pretty easy to understand when it is DOMS or muscular fatigue and when not), and it is true for every possible scenario in training.

About your injury, I can't say for sure what it is. The rule of thumb for muscle strains is rest, ice, stretching, myofascial release (SMR or massage), light exercise on the injured muscle (higher reps targeting the injured muscle on a full ROM) and gradual increase of the weights to the pervious levels (so don't continue with the next session of your programming as if nothing happened). Again, "if it hurts, don't do it".

You may also find this useful.

Thanks for the advice, guys. And the link.

Just very annoyed/frustrated that this should happen when I'm really enjoying my strength training and making some progress...:icon_evil

Do you guys think a Foam Roller might help? They have them at my gym.

I'm in a similar boat as you.
I've been doing SS for a while and I'm encountering some serious soreness & little injuries after certain workouts.
Sometimes you either have to add another day of rest in between or do something similar to the technique outlined in miaou's link above. (drop the weight)

I know it delays the overall progress, but when doing a program like this some setbacks here or there are to be expected. I'd rather take a little longer to get to a goal then to get injured and be setback for a long time.

I was doing lunges after deads when I got a pain somewhere in my leg. Instead of manning up and finishing, I stopped and finished my leg stuff right there. A couple days later its like it didn't even happen. Just lay off it until it doesn't hurt. If you're doing SS you might be in for a deload week anyway.

I ripped/pulled/strained (not sure which) my right hamstring during my squats the other day. It probably happened due to going too heavy after a long layoff, and/or GMing out of the squat...

Might be the same for you.

But hey, don't "man up" and force yourself to bust your ass when you know there's a chance you've injured yourself. Better safe than sorry.

I stepped away from the squat rack after I noticed my problem. I left with a limp, but had I continued it may have led to something far worse.

I've taken a few days off. Complete rest. I will lift again on Wednesday; I always warm up but will be paying even more attention to this than usual. If I feel anything more than the usual DOMS, when Squatting, I'll stop and just work my upper body.

Don't mean to say you're gonna die, but I did something similar to my left ham about a year ago.

Didn't seem like much at the time, was tight/sore/weird feeling. Just thought I pulled it a little.

Now it's been a year, including a six month total lay off from lifting, and I still can't squat quite right anymore. Went to the doc only recently and she said it looked like I had a pretty bad hammy tear back then. Lots of scar tissue and shit.

If it doesn't straighten out in a few days I'd recommend hopping by the doc just to be safe.

Don't mean to say you're gonna die, but I did something similar to my left ham about a year ago.

Didn't seem like much at the time, was tight/sore/weird feeling. Just thought I pulled it a little.

Now it's been a year, including a six month total lay off from lifting, and I still can't squat quite right anymore. Went to the doc only recently and she said it looked like I had a pretty bad hammy tear back then. Lots of scar tissue and shit.

If it doesn't straighten out in a few days I'd recommend hopping by the doc just to be safe.

There's a very good sport's Doc. in the gym. If I'm still feeling any pain in my hamstring tomorrow, I'll make an appointment to see him.

I would rest a bit and take a deload week on squats and dead lifts meaning continue doing them but go easier on the weight and lower reps and sets to about 65% of regular.

Might have to take a week off Squats and DL; I have'nt lifted since Friday and while the Hamstring pain seems to have gone, I've noticed tightness in the groin/inner thigh whenever I bend down(which I do all the time at work, stacking shelves).

Went jogging yesterday and felt fine. It only seems to be the ROM that hurts.

Looks like an epidemic of pulled hamstrings!

Perfect timing on this thread for me, I pulled my hamstring on Tuesday doing hill sprints.

I'm on a 5/3/1 program, so I'm skipping deadlifts today.

I don't think mine is too severe, I tore a quad a few years ago (still has a visible gap in the muscle) and this is nothing like that - no discoloration, minimal swelling. I'm going to pick back up tomorrow or Friday with some very light hamstring work to rehab it a bit - thanks for posting the Rippetoe article!

I actually Squatted today and felt fine. No pain in the hamstring or groin. But on Friday I won't be doing Squat AND Deadlift. It will "just" be Deadlift and SOHP.

I think it was Squatting and Deadlifting on the same day that caused the problem.

Back