Hamstring-friendly cardio.

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I seem to have picked up a minor hamstring injury, possibly during a hard BJJ session; a few hours after rolling, I felt pain and tightness in the back of my left knee.

I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow. Obviously, I'll take his advice regarding rest etc. But if he says I can train without directly stressing the hamstring, I want to at least retain some level of conditioning.

My primary conditioning method is a LISS jog a couple of times per week. Can anyone suggest some alternatives?

Cheers.

First thought is stationary bike. If you do it properly by pushing through the ball of your foot, it's all quads. If you use one with the straps on the pedals though, it can turn into a hamstring exercise so be careful.

Skipping rope would be my second choice, full-body and can easily add intensity techniques like double unders and "sprints".

A third option could be bodyweight exercises done for time. I.e. Jumping jacks, crunches, close grip pushups, planks, glute bridges, wide grip push-ups, shadowboxing, pullups, etc. Do each for 30 seconds, no rest. 3 rounds total. Not exactly cardio, but good conditioning nonetheless.

Swimming is another good option if you have access to a pool.

How about the Prowler? I've never used one, so I don't know what kind of strain it places on the hamstrings.

Swimming is another good option if you have access to a pool.

I don't know about that. Swimming may be good for reducing load to your joints due to the buoyancy but that water is actually going to offer a lot of resistance while you're kicking your legs along. Might actually exacerbate things depending on what stroke you're performing.

I like some of @Bloodhy suggestions.

How about the Prowler? I've never used one, so I don't know what kind of strain it places on the hamstrings.

Each time you push off your leg to push the prowler you're using a lot of hip extension and your hamstrings will no doubt be a synergist to assist your glutes.

boxing rounds on the heavy bag

no kicks obviously

im recovering from a hamstring injury myself from bjj, my partner ripped his arm out of my spider lasso and I heard a couple of pops, was worried about my knee but that has been mostly fine, then the black blue bruising along the back of my thigh showed up, it sucks but take your time

its been 2 months now and I would say it took about 1-1.5 months for me to go back to my regular lifts and rolling, I would stay out of class for at least 2 weeks, might be as much as 4 weeks to recover right

hamstrings are one of those things that are quite easy to reinjure

Update: saw the doc today and she diagnosed a ruptured cyst on the hamstring. She advised physio, and I've booked an appointment with a sports physiotherapist next week.

I seem to have picked up a minor hamstring injury, possibly during a hard BJJ session; a few hours after rolling, I felt pain and tightness in the back of my left knee.

I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow. Obviously, I'll take his advice regarding rest etc. But if he says I can train without directly stressing the hamstring, I want to at least retain some level of conditioning.

My primary conditioning method is a LISS jog a couple of times per week. Can anyone suggest some alternatives?

Cheers.
Someone said hit the heavy bag
split some firewood
Airdyne bike
rowing machine

In the meantime, getting strong abs and flexibility in the ankles will protect your hamstring when you get back. Both of those things cause the glute to be more engaged more and less of the hamstring.

Check the ankle flexibility on the injured side

Update: saw the doc today and she diagnosed a ruptured cyst on the hamstring. She advised physio, and I've booked an appointment with a sports physiotherapist next week.
Wow

All the best to you for a full and quick recovery.

Someone said hit the heavy bag
split some firewood
Airdyne bike
rowing machine

In the meantime, getting strong abs and flexibility in the ankles will protect your hamstring when you get back. Both of those things cause the glute to be more engaged more and less of the hamstring.

Check the ankle flexibility on the injured side

I might go Full Fedor; get myself a big-ass tyre and a sledgehammer:)

I might go Full Fedor; get myself a big-ass tyre and a sledgehammer:)
Go to a tire shop and ask for an old tire. They may just give it to you

I've got one that probably went on some tractor or construction machinery

I'm considering Farmer's Walks with heavy dumbbells. The ones in my gym go up to 70 kilos each.

Concept 2 Rowing Machine might be another option; they've got lots of them in my gym.

Skipping/jump rope shouldn’t be overly taxing on the hamstrings. Power walking should also be possible. I find LISS power walks to be better than LISS jogs anyway (can go for longer and it’s gentler on the joints).

Heavy bag work, skipping rope, rower all seem like good cardio with minimal hamstring activation.

Godspeed on the recovery man.

I've narrowed it down to Concept Rower or Stationary Bike.

I tried the Elliptical this week and, while it wasn't a bad workout, there's no escaping the fact it looks and feels a bit Gay:)

Back