Hagler/Leonard

SportsBarGod

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Watched it again the other day..Still pisses me of the same it did when it happened. Hagler robbed.

Yep. That was the fight that started my disinterest in boxing. I don't think I've seen a fight in 2 years now, and I don't really miss it. Too much corruption, no longer truly a sport.

I concur.

Sugar Ray Leonard never gave a rematch. With a 62-3-2, record, this was the only loss Hagler was unable to avenge. This was Hagler's last boxing match as he retired after that.

I really wanted to see the rematch...

I am glad there was no rematch. He killed him the first time and when the idiot judges stole his belt he said FU. I am done with this BS.

I don't think it was that big of a robbery from what I remember, haven't seen it for a while but sure it could of went either way.

Watched it again the other day..Still pisses me of the same it did when it happened. Hagler robbed.

Agreed 100%. I hate that fight. Leonard would throw these patty-cake punches, the crowd would go wild, and a great champion was robbed.

Too bad Hagler went home and took it out on his wife.

If only Hagler and his team hadn't made a fuss over the original selection of judges.

I think Hagler could have put Leonard on his ass 3 or 4 times and the judges would have found a way to hand it to Leonard. I felt like Hagler should have done more in the first 4 or so rounds and things could have been different. I felt like it was close because of Hagler's slow start but the judge who had it 118-110 (or something redicliously one sided) should have been fired on the spot. And damnit that should have been a 15 rounder I don't think they had switched to 12 rounds for all title fights yet.

To be fair, if you want to conclusively prove you are landing the harder, cleaner punches you should do it by KOing the guy or at least knocking him down, especially if he's a guy who has fought most of his career at a lighter weight than you.

That being said, I thought Hagler won comfotably as well. The judges must have appreciated something other than what I do in a boxing match and the fact that they did it for one of boxing's premiere events in favor of the more popular fighter did leave a bitter taste for me.

I'm going to re watch this tonight score it and see what I come up with.

I love hearing Leonard's corner yell out THIRTY every round to tell him 30 seconds left and he would start his slap punches that could not hurt a 5 year old and the crown would go crazy and the bias announcer would start screaming "Here comes Sugar Ray". The best quote I heard was from a trainer saying watch the fight on mute and Hagler wins something like nine rounds to three.

Hagler won that fight. All true boxing fans know this and Leonard should come clean and admitt his loss after all these years.

Think I had 7 rounds for Hagler or maybe 8. But yeah, I thought he won the fight for sure.

If I remember right Hagler kept smiling after getting punched instead of punching back. I thought it was a close fight that Hagler just gave away with his inactivity.

I agree that Hagler won, but I also think he has to share some of the blame. He gave away the early rounds, fought orthodox early on for some reason, and clowned with Leonard too much instead of just beating his ass.

I agree that Hagler won, but I also think he has to share some of the blame. He gave away the early rounds, fought orthodox early on for some reason, and clowned with Leonard too much instead of just beating his ass.

This is the reason why I don't get up in arms when people say Leonard won the fight. Hagler did nothing through the first 3 or 4 rounds and in a 12 round fight it's pretty difficult to win on points with the kind of start on a level playing field (judges made it so it wasn't even.)

Not the worst robbery, but obviously a bad one
and remember the judges rob Hearns in the rematch as well?

I'm an obvious Hagler fan, but to me either Leonard won or it's a draw, depending on how you score the third round (usually scored for Leonard, but Marvin was clearly ahead in the "clean and hard punching" department).

That being said, whoever scored it 118-110 deserved to be fed to a pissed-off Hagler for a few rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back