Hagler/Leonard

Looking back on it respectively, if you remember the amount of hype, the incredible amount of "DESTROY LEONARD" that was going around - you will realize the amount of bias for Hagler getting an early KO there was. No one believed Ray stood a chance.

Hagler was expected to do Hagler.

No one knew what Ray was going to have to do to win.

And naturally, what happens when you can't predict what is going to happen? Everyone is going to watch and the end product - everyone watches Ray. Ray won rounds by showing he was game and more than willing to get into the trenches and slug it with Hagler.

What people mostly forget is Ray made Hagler look like shit for the first 6 rounds, it looked like a pro vs amateur...

wow i completely agree with foster on this, unlike on touchdown tommy. marvin was the man tough guy out of brockton. sugar ray was great too but he lost this fight.

Watched it many times and can't give it to either guy by more than a round, marvin fought the wrong fight for the early part.

Looking back on it respectively, if you remember the amount of hype, the incredible amount of "DESTROY LEONARD" that was going around - you will realize the amount of bias for Hagler getting an early KO there was. No one believed Ray stood a chance.

Hagler was expected to do Hagler.

No one knew what Ray was going to have to do to win.

And naturally, what happens when you can't predict what is going to happen? Everyone is going to watch and the end product - everyone watches Ray. Ray won rounds by showing he was game and more than willing to get into the trenches and slug it with Hagler.

What people mostly forget is Ray made Hagler look like shit for the first 6 rounds, it looked like a pro vs amateur...

I agree, Hagler was in his prime and fought like he had to conserve energy.

Hagler wasn't in his prime.

I think Al Bernstein said it right in that Hagler was fighting the aura of Leonard.

As so many expected Hagler to butcher Leonard, anything remotely close was considered a victory for Leonard especially given his status as such a popular fighter.

I mean, let's face it, Felix Sturn would have gotten the "W" if the guy he was fighting at middleweight didn't have the NAME Oscar De La Hoya.

Back