Had the most surreal experience at class today!!!

Awesome, congrats.

good job big man. i look forward to seeing you at the next tournament wearing that new belt. i have yet to be able to test out the brown belt as i've either been sick or injured since receiving it.

Big congrats. You've achieved something that most can't even fathom, let alone aspire to.

Thanks to all! I am extremely proud of my accomplishment! As one person said, this is just the beginning, and my growth in Jiu-Jitsu doesn't stop here! I'm 32 years old (as of one week ago), I intend to continue training for the rest of my life! This is definitely just the beginning.
Congratulations!

Curious..."Are you a white belt that never quit?" I am interested in how you got to where you are.

Injuries? Life getting in the way? Did you ever think about quitting?

Like you, I was amazed at the talent level for blue belt when I was a white belt. Now it seems that the brown belt is the "new blue belt". Eventually, the black belt will be the only one that matters.

Again, congrats. I know the dedication and sacrifice it took for that achievement!

I was definitely the white belt that never quit. Never had any major injuries throughout my time training. It was a pretty solid 10 years I put in probably averaging 3 days a week over that time. There were spurts in which I would train 6 days a week regularly, sometimes twice a day, then there were times that life started to get in the way, but I always found the time and money to train!

Someone else asked if I plan on opening an academy and teaching. I have been teaching part time for a while now. Last year I had my own academy out in a Gym in Davis... for various reasons it didn't work out. I've been teaching a small jiu-jitsu class out of a Capoeira school now for several months and teach the kids class once a week at Cassio Werneck's school. I also spent several years helping out and teaching Grappling and Jiu-jitsu at the Sacramento State MMA Club. So I guess the answer is that yes, teaching is definitely in my future, as well as in my past, and I love doing it. Currently there is a possibility that I may move to Abu Dhabi and teach Jiu-Jitsu there in their schools. That is more or less my dream job, and I am hoping that will work out. Trust me, if it does there is gonna be a thread on that as well.

So, thanks again everyone, and if there are any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer!

How would you describe yourself as a practitioner? Were you the technician in the gym who was always teaching? An active competitor? A fighter or someone focused on the self defense aspects? Some combination? And also, did you start with one goal in mind and change that?

I am always curious how people look at their training, especially at the higher ranks. I always looked at bjj as a martial art, and didn't compete at all as a white belt. Then I competed a little as a blue, and I hope to do more as a purple.

Thank you for that awesome story! Congrats and hats off! I definitely have a couple questions. I'll post them when I get back home.

10 years ago the only places to train in my whole home town were run by blue belts. My first day I got my ass handed to me by a much smaller blue belt instructor. I thought at the time he was amazing. I could barely imagine at the time what a purple belt was like, let alone a brown. And black belts??? They seemed nearly god like to me!

So, today after we finished training and we lined up, Cassio retrieved a white plastic bag and brought it out. He proceeded to promote two of my team mates to blue, and one to purple. Then he called me up! It was the weirdest feeling in the world... I was shaking. I had every intention of getting my black belt one day, but it still seems crazy! I had reason to believe that my time was coming, yet it was still a shock!

Today I received my black belt from Cassio Werneck!!! I couldn't be more proud! Thanks to all my friends, family, and training partners! I wouldn't have made it without you!

Nova Faixa Preta!!!!

Now you get to start really learning BJJ. Great fuckin job!

How would you describe yourself as a practitioner? Were you the technician in the gym who was always teaching? An active competitor? A fighter or someone focused on the self defense aspects? Some combination? And also, did you start with one goal in mind and change that?

I am always curious how people look at their training, especially at the higher ranks. I always looked at bjj as a martial art, and didn't compete at all as a white belt. Then I competed a little as a blue, and I hope to do more as a purple.
Oh, man... Really I would just say that I trained the majority of my time in Jiu-Jitsu because I like the game! I enjoy Jiu-Jitsu, it's a game, and a huge challenge. I think that is why it is so easy for me to keep going regularly... there is not too much pressure, I just do it for the FUN of it!

Because I just did it for the fun of it, I was never one of those people that could write it all down and train systematically. Just not how I work. I'm reasonably intelligent (if I may say so) and have always had good kinesthetic awareness (maybe my early Karate training helped there), but I am really disorganized. I was the type of guy that in school only took notes if they were "required", and then rarely went back to look at them again even if I did take them. I tried to keep a journal for jiu-jitsu, but it was very short lived... I just didn't care about writing it down or reviewing. I thought about technique all the time, and would often meditate on particular techniques, repping them in my head. But I am prone to go off on tangents, so rather than concentrating on one game, or set of techniques I would just go with the flow, and learn and concentrate on what ever I was interested in at the moment. Eventually a game developed, but it certainly was not systematically set up in any way... it just came together over time. Eventually, as my game came together and I started to recognize that I was prone to working certain types of things (mostly guard stuff) I found guys that I would like to watch who had similar games. I took early to Braulio Estima, loved watching Roger Gracie, and Rolleta! I wouldn't specifically work on any one of their techniques, but see the things they would do it slowly influenced my game.

As far as the kind of guy I was at the academy, well I was always showing people the latest thing I saw, read about, or learned. I would also sit around after class while others would ask questions of each other, of the instructor, or just try stuff out, and I would soak as much in as I could. I guess I must have always been reasonably technical for my belt level on the way up, because people would often come to me with questions about technique... and I guess I'm approachable that way too, which helps. I enjoying helping people out whenever I can. I feel better training partners helps to push me too!

I actually started training because somewhere in the mid 90s a good friend of mine and I began renting the early UFCs. I didn't see them first run, I was training Karate at the time and remember hearing of that guy Royce Gracie, but I didn't actually see any of them until later. When they broadcast the first Pride GP from 1999 on American TV that's what pushed me over the edge, and I knew that I would never go back to Karate. It was gonna be Jiu-Jitsu.

Anyway... keep the questions coming. :)

Oh, man... Really I would just say that I trained the majority of my time in Jiu-Jitsu because I like the game! I enjoy Jiu-Jitsu, it's a game, and a huge challenge. I think that is why it is so easy for me to keep going regularly... there is not too much pressure, I just do it for the FUN of it!

Because I just did it for the fun of it, I was never one of those people that could write it all down and train systematically. Just not how I work. I'm reasonably intelligent (if I may say so) and have always had good kinesthetic awareness (maybe my early Karate training helped there), but I am really disorganized. I was the type of guy that in school only took notes if they were "required", and then rarely went back to look at them again even if I did take them. I tried to keep a journal for jiu-jitsu, but it was very short lived... I just didn't care about writing it down or reviewing. I thought about technique all the time, and would often meditate on particular techniques, repping them in my head. But I am prone to go off on tangents, so rather than concentrating on one game, or set of techniques I would just go with the flow, and learn and concentrate on what ever I was interested in at the moment. Eventually a game developed, but it certainly was not systematically set up in any way... it just came together over time. Eventually, as my game came together and I started to recognize that I was prone to working certain types of things (mostly guard stuff) I found guys that I would like to watch who had similar games. I took early to Braulio Estima, loved watching Roger Gracie, and Rolleta! I wouldn't specifically work on any one of their techniques, but see the things they would do it slowly influenced my game.

As far as the kind of guy I was at the academy, well I was always showing people the latest thing I saw, read about, or learned. I would also sit around after class while others would ask questions of each other, of the instructor, or just try stuff out, and I would soak as much in as I could. I guess I must have always been reasonably technical for my belt level on the way up, because people would often come to me with questions about technique... and I guess I'm approachable that way too, which helps. I enjoying helping people out whenever I can. I feel better training partners helps to push me too!

I actually started training because somewhere in the mid 90s a good friend of mine and I began renting the early UFCs. I didn't see them first run, I was training Karate at the time and remember hearing of that guy Royce Gracie, but I didn't actually see any of them until later. When they broadcast the first Pride GP from 1999 on American TV that's what pushed me over the edge, and I knew that I would never go back to Karate. It was gonna be Jiu-Jitsu.

Anyway... keep the questions coming. :)

That sounds exactly like me, I do BJJ because it's fun, I've played sports all my life and always had fun whether I win or lose. I have no real focus and just go with the flow, I seem to be pretty good for the length that I've trained too and consider myself pretty intelligent, from your description of yourself the only difference between us is 12 years. I just hope that 8 years down the road I reach the same level you have.
Congrats man.

congrats. did you go thru a gauntlet or something?

Back