Had a great training session in BJJ class last night

You're so ignorant. Using strength causes you to form bad habits in your technique. Also, if strength > technique, why don't you just go build a bunch of muscle and go enter some competitions. By your math you should sweep every division.

you're not reading what i wrote correctly. i said i used strength AND technique to apply the moves I did last night. strength training is there to supplement my technique. imagine having an armbar set up but you're too weak to hold onto the guy's arm? IMO you need BOTH in order to be successful.

There's a video of Professor Sauer destroying a former Mr. Utah who claimed he was too strong for any of the Gracie fighters to beat him. It's on youtube. I'd embed it but I don't know how.

Can't find it. Anyone find it?

you're not reading what i wrote correctly. i said i used strength AND technique to apply the moves I did last night. strength training is there to supplement my technique. imagine having an armbar set up but you're too weak to hold onto the guy's arm? IMO you need BOTH in order to be successful.

You develop the strength for grappling through grappling.

My initial response was not meant to incite argument though I guess it did. I apologize. I've never rolled with you so I can't judge your technique. I can say however that if you have a triangle properly applied (hips up, head pulled down, arm across) no one should be able to just muscle out of it. No matter how little you are, that is all of your strength in your upper body and your legs squeezing the life out of his head and arm. If you do the math, your entire body vs your opponents arm and head will always win.

Again, I apologize for my first comment not being more clear.

You're so ignorant. Using strength causes you to form bad habits in your technique. Also, if strength > technique, why don't you just go build a bunch of muscle and go enter some competitions. By your math you should sweep every division.

Beat me to it. Well said sir. TS BJJ is not about beating your teammates, its about helping your team get better. Strength is a quick fix as a white belt and will work for a bit. But your teammates will out grow your strength with their technique, and while they move up in rank and skill you will be the same strong kid trying to beat the new crops of white belts. This is why I think with that mindset you will not last in BJJ, please prove me wrong.

Yeah you've definitely let strength win out over technique.

most people when they first start, myself included, think that they need to go all out and muscle their way around the mats. that's the wrong way to approach bjj and rolling/drilling.

more cerebral, less hulk-smash.

i think its cuz the head scissor is not a legit submission.

and btw, youre probably muscling things too much

i think its cuz the head scissor is not a legit submission.

and btw, youre probably muscling things too much

Hm okay, it looked pretty legit when I saw Tony Cecchine do it. It submits people, it works, I don't see what the problem is?

Oh well, and yeah, I am not denying the fact that I have to use strength at this point to make up for lack of technique, but I dont know a whole lot (I just started like 3 weeks ago) so I have to use what I know, but if the things I know dont apply in a situation, I have to attempt to create the situation through muscle and then apply what I do know. Im sure as time goes by and the more I learn the less muscling I'll have to do, but it's always good to have regardless IMO.

Back