Had a great training session in BJJ class last night

S

Splatterbeast

I've always leaned more towards wrestling, but seeing as how my strength is improving (im not on a cutting diet anymore), BJJ is becoming more relevant to my interests and easy to apply the moves (or at least easier to control my partner and apply the move).

So we were rolling (im a white belt btw - no stripes), and this guy is in my guard and I have his arm pinned against my chest and I triangle choke him.

We go at it again and he's about to armbar me, but I reverse it and head scissor him ala Tony Cecchine.

Feels good man:icon_chee

Awesome. Now I'm going to piss in your sails by telling you that if you are relying on your strength, you're doing it wrong and your technique is likely suffering.

Awesome. Now I'm going to piss in your sails by telling you that if you are relying on your strength, you're doing it wrong and your technique is likely suffering.

Thats okay and I've heard that before. But being weaker doesn't work, I don't care what anyone says. I've learend a few of the techniques and I've had guys in a triangle choke before, but due to being weaker, they were easily able to break free from the choke, making it useless.

Now that my strength has improved, I was able to keep my partner locked in and finish the choke.

Makes sense for me.

good to have both but remember that bjj is all about using technique over strength.

good to have both but remember that bjj is all about using technique over strength.

overall it's the technique that wins, only assuming that you have the muscle to pull it off. i know BJJ was marketed as an art so that smaller guys could take on and defeat larger, stronger opponents... and we've seen it in some instances (Royce vs Kimo, although Kimo is a TERRIBLE fighter and could probably be defeated by anyone with little experience).

But can we really see a 160 lb. man with flawless technique and hardly any muscle mass defeating an enraged, muscular, strong guy who weighs 250 lbs? It seems like even if you had a kimura or armbar on a guy like that he'd simply snap your arms and get out of the lock or if he fell on you by accident he'd absolutely crush you and damage you. You're going to need muscle to control that 250 lber and you're going to need muscle to set him up for submissions, otherwise you'll never have your chance at it and he'll end up kicking your ass like a caveman and slamming you into the ground IMO.

Any fights you'd recommend I watch where this is the case?

I'm talking a 160 lb fighter defeating a decent huge, strong man fighter? I dont want to see Seth Putrezelli knocking out a tomato can like Kimbo.

If feels good having those kinds of break throughs early on.

Yes and I am extremely motivated (I am even when I dont have 'good' training sessions, the bad ones just make me push harder) so I will make sure that I will continue to have these break throughs.

btw, strength indeed helped me (i guess i have to rely on it to a greater degree at the moment since i'm a BEGINNER, but I will always use it when applying my moves, I'm an aggressive spirit). I was about to get armbarred, but I was strong enough to resist it just to buy me time to head scissor him. Had I been weak and fragile, he would've armbarred me.

My coach is 140 pounds and trust me he has zero problems with guys twice his size. Now if somone twice his size was on the same level of BJJ as him then yes the size would matter. I think with the mind set you have right now you wont last in BJJ.

My coach is 140 pounds and trust me he has zero problems with guys twice his size. Now if somone twice his size was on the same level of BJJ as him then yes the size would matter. I think with the mind set you have right now you wont last in BJJ.

Good point. Jiu Jitsu is great for beating larger UNTRAINED opponents. If they are bigger and have equal jiu jitsu skill, that is no longer the case IMO.

how do you figure I wont last long with this mindset? lol I just got the guy to submit using both strength AND technique, strength is something that is supplementing my training and working for me no doubt. Should I become weak and fragile in order to be good at BJJ? lol.

how do you figure I wont last long with this mindset? lol I just got the guy to submit using both strength AND technique, strength is something that is supplementing my training and working for me no doubt. Should I become weak and fragile in order to be good at BJJ? lol.

You're so ignorant. Using strength causes you to form bad habits in your technique. Also, if strength > technique, why don't you just go build a bunch of muscle and go enter some competitions. By your math you should sweep every division.

Any fights you'd recommend I watch where this is the case?

I'm talking a 160 lb fighter defeating a decent huge, strong man fighter? I dont want to see Seth Putrezelli knocking out a tomato can like Kimbo.

Watch Choke, the Rickson Gracie documentary. You'll see Yuki Nakai, a 150 lb Japanese Shoot fighter, take on Gerard Gordeau (216 lb) and Craig Pittman (250 lb) and submit both of them with a combination of flawless technique and pure balls.

These guys were no pushovers either, both had significant MA training prev (Gordeau = kyokushin dude and UFC vet, Pittman = wrestler and Marine)

There's a video of Professor Sauer destroying a former Mr. Utah who claimed he was too strong for any of the Gracie fighters to beat him. It's on youtube. I'd embed it but I don't know how.

Last edited:
I like it when guys come in and are ripped/roided out and two stripe white belts with no muscle mass at all can wipe the floor with them. It is one thing if you are strong and have good technigue, but having no technigue and just strength means you are not really a jiujitsu practioner. If I were you I would lift weights an hour before trainning so that you are forced to rely on technigue and not muscle.

Back