Gym Idiots V13

Flash_Monsta

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
906cfb7dc6af63485f3c4966c80385af628d6a86706ecff5be4d1eb976aa9bcb.jpg

New thread time. Go.

I'll start..
I put the template up for SS 5X5 on the whiteboard in work, for customers to read up on etc.
I could see one of the other instructor's talking to a female customer about the programme. He was shaking his head, and by the expression on his face was clearly displeased with my efforts. I came into work the day after, and it was rubbed out and he put up the Bear Complex.
Which no fucker can do correctly btw.

Naked guy in locker room
That guy
Every gym has one

Drying his shower shoes with the provided hair dryer

Have these people never heard of grindr? It was on tosh.0. I've never seen it but I know it exists, how can they not?

A girl in my gym is doing a crossfit-like course over two weekends... and she told me they have her doing "sumo stance high-pulls". Basically you do a sumo deadlift, then explosively send the bar up like an upright row...

Seriously... WTF or am I missing something?

Guy using straps, taking for fucking ever between sets, rowin from the safetys of the squat rack....30 damn kg. Wtf.

Naked guy in locker room
That guy
Every gym has one

Have these people never heard of grindr? It was on tosh.0. I've never seen it but I know it exists, how can they not?

I walked into the change room one day to see a dude standing in the doorway of the shower stall shampooing his hair and beard.

He was facing the room and shampooing.

Inside the stall there's a small step down into the shower area, so he was standing in the space where normal people take off their clothes or at least leave their towel - and 99.99% of the people who shower close the door.

But no, he was there, in the doorway, shampooing himself.

A girl in my gym is doing a crossfit-like course over two weekends... and she told me they have her doing "sumo stance high-pulls". Basically you do a sumo deadlift, then explosively send the bar up like an upright row...

Seriously... WTF or am I missing something?

Yeah "sumo deadlift high pulls" used to be a staple of CrossFit. To their credit most gyms are moving away from them due to their habit of destroying your shoulders.

If a guy had nerve damage i wouldn't give a shit ^ . Otherwise, seems pointless as fuck.

A buddy of mine just shared this one with me.

images

Today two guys were warming up with the wooden training plates on the bar. Then one guy put a 20kg bumper plate on one side, the other guy put one of these 20kg plates which have a much smaller diameter:
Handle_Grip_Weight_Plates.jpg_220x220.jpg
+
coel20kg-1000.jpg

Not only were they loading plates onto the bar without first removing the wooden plates, they were loading plates of completely different sizes.

This happens about twice a month at this gym.

Yeah "sumo deadlift high pulls" used to be a staple of CrossFit. To their credit most gyms are moving away from them due to their habit of destroying your shoulders.

This is Spain, Crossfit arrived later so we're still in the dark ages it seems...

God damn it was so frustrating trying to argue with her: sumo high-pulls, you cant go wider than shoulder-width to squat or catch a clean because is not a squat is a sumo-squat, the deadlift isn't initiated with knee extension, and i wasn0t doing the RDL right because i needed to bend the knees more...

I even show her a pic from Lidia Valentin (world medallist weightlifter from Leon too) clearly racking a clean with the feet very wide, and she wouldn't listen...

If a guy had nerve damage i wouldn't give a shit ^ . Otherwise, seems pointless as fuck.

What pissed me off was him occupying the squat rack & bar, so I've got to wait for him to finish so I could front squat. The straps... well, why would I care... but seemed appropriate to mention it here.

I put the template up for SS 5X5 on the whiteboard in work, for customers to read up on etc.
I could see one of the other instructor's talking to a female customer about the programme. He was shaking his head, and by the expression on his face was clearly displeased with my efforts. I came into work the day after, and it was rubbed out and he put up the Bear Complex.
Which no fucker can do correctly btw.

Brah, it's all about getting hammered by the workout, not what the workout does for you long-term.

I really enjoy / enjoyed this thread. Anymore, I just see so many gym idiot moments, I am becoming sort of immune to them and just move on with whatever I am doing. However, I am getting quite tired of the 105lb 15 y/o that tries to take over the dumbbell area and practically just stares at his over abundance of size he carries being maybe 5'7 and 105 pounds. Then he leaves his "weights" laying all over the place and just leaves. He has recently had his Mom buy him the tank tops that are basically a string in between the shoulder blades and this has given him so much more "mass" it is hard for him to even take "it all" in.

Sumo high pull....

Do I even want to know or should my noob ass just ignore and move on?

This guy at my gym, probably 19 or 20, comes in a wife beater and beanie every other day, yells like no tomorrow while doing any lift. So loud that I have left the building and heard him from outside after the door has closed. He also likes to hit the punching bag in 15 second bursts than pace back and forth making angry noises, will flex in the mirror, than back for another 15 seconds. Absolute pleasure of a member.

Naked guy in locker room
That guy
Every gym has one

To further that one. How about naked guy approaching the sinks which is where I was at, and there are 4 and I am on the one to the far right and he takes the one right to my left...REALLY????

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I really enjoy / enjoyed this thread. Anymore, I just see so many gym idiot moments, I am becoming sort of immune to them and just move on with whatever I am doing. However, I am getting quite tired of the 105lb 15 y/o that tries to take over the dumbbell area and practically just stares at his over abundance of size he carries being maybe 5'7 and 105 pounds. Then he leaves his "weights" laying all over the place and just leaves. He has recently had his Mom buy him the tank tops that are basically a string in between the shoulder blades and this has given him so much more "mass" it is hard for him to even take "it all" in.

That reminds me of something from Ross Enamait's forum years back. We get this thread starter saying something like "I am about to go on vacation to the islands and need to get buff in 2 weeks." We first thought it was a joke but the OP insisted he is serious so I replied something like "Put on a wife beater and hold your breath". People actually got the funny in that. For those wondering, if you put on a tight wife beater and some what fit and hold your breath, it actually looks like you are a tad buff (depending on the body type). But again, if you have to explain it then it's not funny.

Sumo high pull....

Do I even want to know or should my noob ass just ignore and move on?

A google search told me this:
The SDHP is one of the nine foundational movements taught in the CrossFit Level 1 certification.

The nine foundational movements of CrossFit taught at the L1 cert to include:

Squat
Front Squat
Overhead Squat
Press
Push Press
Push Jerk
Deadlift
Sumo Deadlift High Pull
Medicine Ball Clean (The medicine ball clean will be the focus of a future article. Don’t even get me started on the silly waste of time this is.)

http://breakingmuscle.com/functional-fitness/the-sumo-deadlift-high-pull-is-stupid

YMCA yesterday morning: I was doing Russian twists and pull-ups in a room connected to the spin bike room. I hear this shaking and look in the mirror. No word of a lie a pudgy, short lady in her late 40's most likely, was belly dancing with the gear on and everything while her significant other was playing air guitar with a plastic weight bar. Zero f*cks were given by them. YMCA is a goldmine for this stuff.

3 of them today. Drying your shoes must be a thing now. Another guy doing it. One shaving, one at the dryer and another lingering in the actual dressing room

Sounds dumb and a way to injure oneself.

There used to be a dude at my old gym who would wear overalls, no shirt underneath. Always found that strange.

A girl today with massive, striated quads and zero glutes grabed some pink fu-fu dumbells, walked to the oly lifting platform with the mirrors, took a split stance like she was frozen mid-power mark, stood there for a second, and then started waving her arms back and forwards like she was walking really fast, but keeping her legs still. Then she switched which leg was forwards and did the same again, on the other side, but still using only the upper body, meaning the stance swap was irrelevant...

The mind boggles. Also some overweight middle aged women doing water aerobics in the pool, but I just felt slightly sad for them that they choose to take fitness advice from a 50 year old woman wearing a bright yellow sports bra which clearly displayed the fact she was not in shape. If I ever find myself doing water aerobics something has gone horribly wrong with my life.

This is Spain, Crossfit arrived later so we're still in the dark ages it seems...

Yeah, but you also have Spanish women, who are very sexy. So it evens out. Plus, now they do crossfit, so they will be even hotter.

Saw a guy in a skin tight superman under Armour shirt flexing in the mirror for my entire workout. Never saw him do a single exercise but every couple minutes he'd drift back in front of my station.

3 of them today. Drying your shoes must be a thing now. Another guy doing it. One shaving, one at the dryer and another lingering in the actual dressing room

Do you mean they were holding their shoes under the hand dryer?

Yeah, but you also have Spanish women, who are very sexy. So it evens out. Plus, now they do crossfit, so they will be even hotter.

if you find neck braces sexy, i guess.

saw a guy the other day doing 315 lb low bar squats with a very wide stance and squat shoes. At the bottom of his squat, his knees would cave inward and he would lean so deeply onto the inside edge of his foot that the outside of his heel was coming off the ground. I wouldn't have though that was possible in squat shoes. it bent his ankle in a weird way that looked painful, too.

Now there's a guy who set up the smith machine at bench press position, sans bench.

He performed a set of.....

Wait for it.....

Stepping over the bar one leg at a time and then stepping back over it

i agree that anyone who doesn't re-rack their weight is an asshole, but my experience in that nobody re-racks their weight when doing leg press.

I do. Once in a while i would leave just a plate on each side because if you are not doing at least that much then stay the fuck off of it.

A guy came in my gym the other day. Stretched for a while. Then used those squeeze things that strengthen your grip I guess. Then left.

You might have a 405 squat by now if you focused more on your lifting and less on looking for things to post in this thread.

I usually leave a twenty kg each end of a bar when on the platform.....coz thats all I can lift :'(

I've only ever worked out in two places - martial arts dojos and weights at home.

Due to not being able to train as much BJJ as I'd like due to a new job, but not wanting to lose cardio, I joined a commercial gym for the first time so I could at least use some cardio machines at lunchtimes.

Wow. I know this is probably known by everyone here already, but it's pretty shocking!

Firstly, when I've finished my workout and am breathing heavily and sweating, I feel out of place. All of the guys in there walk around in tank tops, great hair, designer headphones, big biceps and not a drop of sweat on them. They look like they're ready to go to a beach part in ibiza, or they've worked out at home, had a shower, gotten ready AND THEN gone to the gym.

And what's with the stupid fingerless gloves??

Guys who just look at themselves in the mirror whilst doing exercises. I'm sure I saw one with a boner.

READING/USING THE PHONE/CHATTING WHILST DOING CARDIO!? wtf?! I've seen one girl there a few times on the bikes reading a book. She goes so slow, that the next stage would be not moving at all. She is always sat there for over an hour. What a waste of time? Being in the gym, or simply using a piece of equipment, doesn't constitute having done a workout. Jesus.

The fucking music. This place pumps out dance music like it is, again, ibiza. I asked them to turn it down but the answer was it's part of their brand. It's quietened down a bit recently though to at least acceptable levels.

I'll still go as it's cheap, convenient and has good equipment, but my god, the people you find in these places!

Lol
I'm in the cage
They come to me and do this shit right next to me
It's an empty room for the most part but this is where they go. The mirrors are on this side of the room I guess

A guy came in my gym the other day. Stretched for a while. Then used those squeeze things that strengthen your grip I guess. Then left.

I seen something similar but drawing a complete blank on the details or where it was. Just have a vague recollection of this.

I don't want to make a new thread for this but figure the people who visit this thread would be the types who know the answer.

What's proper gym etiquette when someone fails a squat and has to crash down to the safety pins?

I didn't see it happen, just heard it. Guy next to me in the squat rack is a tall and skinny cross country type, but is squatting his 125 with very nice form from what I saw earlier. After the crash, I looked over to find him sitting under it and it seemed like he bailed the right way as well.

Do you say anything here? Ask if he's alright or offer to clean the bar back up so he doesn't have to completely unrack (he did another set with 15 pounds less after this). Or say nothing, if it's apparent he's just fine, so that if he is the embarrassed easily type it doesn't bother him as properly bailing after testing your limit in the gym is the furthest thing from an idiot?

i agree that anyone who doesn't re-rack their weight is an asshole, but my experience in that nobody re-racks their weight when doing leg press. I don't think i've ever seen anyone do it. (but then, most people are assholes)

A guy a couple of weeks ago was doing drop sets with 10lb increments on the bench. When he left, he left about 4 10lb weights on each side of the bar and about 10 of them strewn about the bench on the floor. (oh, he also never actually put all of them on the bar. i have no idea why he felt the need to take extras unless he was just trying to corner the market on 10lb weights.)

I actually treat the leg press machine like a weight tree, since it has 10x45s on each side, and it happens to be 5ft away from the squat rack I usually work in.

Doing shrugs in my gym last week I couldn't help but see in the mirror some birdman barely quarter squatting 135lbs in a rack opposite.

His knees buckled inward on all his reps and he was shaking from the effort. Which is whatever, cool you're pushing yourself but for sure drop the baby weight to just the bar and work on your form. Not stupid, just well intentioned ignorance of a weak dude trying to get stronger but having no idea what he was doing,

What got me was he was facing the wrong way. Dude you are nearly dropping that weight off your back and for some reason you want to step backwards to to rack the bar? This is your plan A?

Who concussed you?

Tell him to ask for a spot next time so he's not potentially fucking up the barbells by dropping them on the pins. (semi-srs)

But nah, don't say anything. Maybe, as you say, ask if he needs help putting it back up on the rack again, once it's stripped enough.

My old gym is the idiot.
Their plates are a good 2.5 lbs lighter. There was a major difference between lifting their weights and the new one (that I have weighed) i purchased.

I've been seeing a lot guys doing bench press with their feet resting on the handles at the bottom of the bench. Instead of flat on the ground is this an effective alternative?

Been working out for years and have never seen this

Tell him to ask for a spot next time so he's not potentially fucking up the barbells by dropping them on the pins. (semi-srs)

But nah, don't say anything. Maybe, as you say, ask if he needs help putting it back up on the rack again, once it's stripped enough.

Who asks for a spot on squats?

I mean, I guess if there's two guys around they can each spot one side of the bar, but if there's only one dude around then he'd have to spot you in the buttf!@# position.

I just doubt strangers would be willing to do that.

I've only squatted in one gym though so maybe in other gyms there's a different vibe and it's all good.

My old gym is the idiot.
Their plates are a good 2.5 lbs lighter. There was a major difference between lifting their weights and the new one (that I have weighed) i purchased.

Yes that can be tricky. At my old gym I weighed some of the bars and weights after I got suspicious when I pressed 5 kg less than the week before. The week before I had used a different brand.

Other gym idiots there would prefer to use the off-weights and bars, because it made them "stronger" ... The 20kg plates were fine, but the 10kg plates were 9kg. So they would bench with 5x9 plates on each side and a 19kg bar to hit "teh 120" (actually <110)

Sorry about your PRs ...

I've only ever worked out in two places - martial arts dojos and weights at home.

Due to not being able to train as much BJJ as I'd like due to a new job, but not wanting to lose cardio, I joined a commercial gym for the first time so I could at least use some cardio machines at lunchtimes.

Wow. I know this is probably known by everyone here already, but it's pretty shocking!

Firstly, when I've finished my workout and am breathing heavily and sweating, I feel out of place. All of the guys in there walk around in tank tops, great hair, designer headphones, big biceps and not a drop of sweat on them. They look like they're ready to go to a beach part in ibiza, or they've worked out at home, had a shower, gotten ready AND THEN gone to the gym.

Guys who just look at themselves in the mirror whilst doing exercises. I'm sure I saw one with a boner.

READING/USING THE PHONE/CHATTING WHILST DOING CARDIO!? wtf?! I've seen one girl there a few times on the bikes reading a book. She goes so slow, that the next stage would be not moving at all. She is always sat there for over an hour. What a waste of time? Being in the gym, or simply using a piece of equipment, doesn't constitute having done a workout. Jesus.

The fucking music. This place pumps out dance music like it is, again, ibiza. I asked them to turn it down but the answer was it's part of their brand. It's quietened down a bit recently though to at least acceptable levels.

I'll still go as it's cheap, convenient and has good equipment, but my god, the people you find in these places!

Sounds like a typical commercial gym.

I generally prefer lifting without gloves or straps, but just wondering. What's your issue with finger-less gloves? I'm pretty sure all lifting gloves are of that design.

Who asks for a spot on squats?

I mean, I guess if there's two guys around they can each spot one side of the bar, but if there's only one dude around then he'd have to spot you in the buttf!@# position.

I just doubt strangers would be willing to do that.

I've only squatted in one gym though so maybe in other gyms there's a different vibe and it's all good.

You better not ever compete in a powerlifting meet, then...

Most people are mature enough to do it without issue.

Yeah, no shit, man. I've been training at home for the last few weeks and its been great. I feel a lot better about the weight I'm lifting. I always suspected it when I went to other gyms, I felt stapled under weight I should have been doing easy. I've had to reset evertything by at least 10 lbs just to be sure. Fucking balls, brah.

You better not ever compete in a powerlifting meet, then...

Most people are mature enough to do it without issue.

Fair enough. My gym has zero powerlifters and only about 3 guys that squat past parallel, so most anyone there would have no idea how to do it and would be weirded out if you showed them. I can see at a real powerlifting place it not being a problem.

Back on topic though, there used to be a guy that would listen to his music on his phone without earbuds. He'd just turn up the volume all the way and make everyone around him hear it too. Last time I went there was a different guy doing the same thing. I hope this was just two gym idiots and is not a new trend.

Not a gym moment but I thought it sort fit in here as it involves lifting and idiots.

I needed an extra 45 lb barbell for my home gym so i went up to Academy Sports store. I didn't see any out in the workout section so i asked for help. The guy went in the back to check if they had any. He came back out and said they don't have any 45 lb and that they only had 300lb ones........................

I thought i had a brain aneursym there for a sec and asked what do you mean? He repeated what i initially heard saying all of the barbells were 300lbs.

I laughed and told him there's no way. He let me follow him to the back to witness these magical 300 lb barbells.

There were about a dozen 45 lb barbells. He picks up one and says 300 lbs. I thought he was fucking around with me for a second but he says I'm sorry is there anything else i can help you with?

I didn't mean to be a dick to him but i laughed again and said dude those are 45 lb barbells what the hell are you talking about???

The doofus shows me a label on the wall in front of the bars that say 300 lbs. I instantly knew and stated what it was as there's a 300 lb weight set special they're doing.

He was super embarrassed and looked like he was going to cry. I told him its cool man it happens....

It was a top "DO YOU EVEN LIFT, BRO?" moment. Im still stunned how a grown man can handle a 45 lbs and think it's 300 lbs even if you've never been in a gym before.

Pretty normal experience in a commercial gym. You get used to it after a while, if you were to post everything you see in one of these threads someone would have to start a new one every few days. However, there always seems to be at least one or two that will totally annoy you no matter how hard you try to ignore them. There is a little twit at the gym I go to, that literally just stares at himself in the mirror the whole time he is there. He tries to act as if he has taken over the dumbbell area. When I want to do dumbbell work I just barge my way around him. Mind you this little twit couldn't be a 115 pounds soaking wet, always has the bodybuilding tank on, and of course is drinking some supplement I am sure only because it says intra-workout and could tell you no other reason why.

Back on topic though, there used to be a guy that would listen to his music on his phone without earbuds. He'd just turn up the volume all the way and make everyone around him hear it too. Last time I went there was a different guy doing the same thing. I hope this was just two gym idiots and is not a new trend.

I witnessed a guy who brought his own MP3 player with mini speakers in, and set them up in the corner he was working out. So we had the bizarre mixture of the gym's music, and then whatever he was playing over his speakers. Baffling.

people drying their balls with the hairdryer

people walking barefoot all over the toilet area, in sauna, then in the locker room

melted plates.... how that came about I have no idea, but some 45s in the gym look like theyve been under the sun and are all bent. Some are stuck to the floor, wtf.

making too much noise with not that much weight

Yay my first post in this thread.

Went to squat but the two racks we have are taken. I warm up and the racks are in constant use. I could go over and get in line but fuck talking to people I'll just hit leg press. Which allows me full view of the squat racks. As I'm finishing my sets I see 3 people curling in the same rack. 3! One behind the other queuing up like British folks waiting for tea. One curling the bar and the other two curling fixed ez bars. T'was a funny sight.

After they finished their set at the rack they went over to pump a few reps out at a curl machine, only to return to the rack for a few more curls.

At least they finished with some tricep pushdowns for balance.

I don't care, they paid to use the equipment just like I did, i just thought it was funny.

Update, they are now at a different curl machine.

I went to squat last week and found a wooden block, like you might use for deficit deadlifts, in the rack. It seemed out of place, but I didn't think too much of it. I removed it, set the pins and j-hooks where they needed to go and did my thing.

When I get done a guy who is easily 6 inches shorter than me takes over the rack. I notice he fumbles with the j-hooks, but then thinks better of it and places the wooden block in the rack. He proceeds to step up on the block, unrack the weight, step down, squat, step up on the block and rerack.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to make it unnecessarily complicated.

Had a run in with some twat in the gym yesterday for dancing in the free weight section with his daps off. I politely asked him to put his trainers back on, and he gave me attitude. He even pointed his toes to the floor and said "I can't put my trainers on, because I can't do this movement". What a bellend.
I asked him several times to put his trainers back on, and told him it was for health and safety reasons and those are the rules. (I've explained all of this to him the last time I told him to put his trainers back on).
He storms over to the stretching mats where he left and I said one last time "These are our rules, you must keep your trainers on when you're around the free weights".
He then shouted and got a little aggressive and said "RIGHT! I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANYONE USING DUMBBELLS ON THE MATS!"
I lost my cool that this point, and said "Don't give me attitude, and don't you dare disrespect me in my gym.." he said "I'm not disrespecting you.. it's just tha...."
I cut him off and said "Yes you are, you're back chatting me and you're disrespecting me when I ASKED you to put your trainers back on.. now I'm telling you, KEEP your trainers on" More was said, and I almost lost my head. I walked away from him and said "You fucking knob".. loud enough that he heard.
I had to get the manager because if I stayed I would of lamped the cheeky dancing fucking ugly fuck.
I never get aggressive, and it takes a lot to piss me off, but the cheek from this guy.
He's in his late 50's, wears boy sized white rugby shorts and a Gold Gym black string vest. Has jet black hair and looks like professor Snape from Harry Potthead. Twat.

Today for the first time in my life I saw a guy do bosu ball DB curls this morning. Its not something I usually see at 6am.

people sitting on machines or standing on the oly platform making running commentary about whatever they feel you're doing wrong while not doing any lif ting themselves

Saw a different squat rack curler variation last night.
Usually when I see them, they use the Olympic bar with a nickel or dime on it.

This time, I saw them use the ez bar and had it mounted on the safety bar/pin. Is this normal? Okay, I know squat rack curling isn't normal, but I meant the abomination I witnessed last night.

You have to give credit at the creativity on bosu ball exercises

A girl today with massive, striated quads and zero glutes grabed some pink fu-fu dumbells, walked to the oly lifting platform with the mirrors, took a split stance like she was frozen mid-power mark, stood there for a second, and then started waving her arms back and forwards like she was walking really fast, but keeping her legs still. Then she switched which leg was forwards and did the same again, on the other side, but still using only the upper body, meaning the stance swap was irrelevant...

The mind boggles. Also some overweight middle aged women doing water aerobics in the pool, but I just felt slightly sad for them that they choose to take fitness advice from a 50 year old woman wearing a bright yellow sports bra which clearly displayed the fact she was not in shape. If I ever find myself doing water aerobics something has gone horribly wrong with my life.

All seriousness water aerobics is easy on the joints which is why it's popular with the older crowd. No matter how good of shape you are in, you can't stop time and time will catch up to you unless you are dead.

Yay my first post in this thread.

Went to squat but the two racks we have are taken. I warm up and the racks are in constant use. I could go over and get in line but fuck talking to people I'll just hit leg press. Which allows me full view of the squat racks. As I'm finishing my sets I see 3 people curling in the same rack. 3! One behind the other queuing up like British folks waiting for tea. One curling the bar and the other two curling fixed ez bars. T'was a funny sight.

After they finished their set at the rack they went over to pump a few reps out at a curl machine, only to return to the rack for a few more curls.

At least they finished with some tricep pushdowns for balance.

I don't care, they paid to use the equipment just like I did, i just thought it was funny.

Update, they are now at a different curl machine.

You should care

You should care enough to smack them with a bar

Back