Gym exercises to help oly lifts

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive just started olympic lifting at an excellent local club but due to my work shifts am unable to go every week. For every 4 sessions I can do oly training theres 5 days I cant get there but can get to my local gym for 2 sessions.

I was looking for advice on what should I do on these 2 sessions to try and keep progressing on the oly stuff? There are no bumper plates at the gym so I was thinking maybe just focus on "getting stronger" with something like this....

Day 1

Squat
Bench
Row

Day 2

DL
OHP
Powercleans

Or should I throw in stuff like DB clean & press, hang pulls, push press etc.

Any advice appreciated!

It would help if you explained your schedule, and what you're currently doing at the oly gym more clearly.

if your day 2 schedule is in that order, I would suggest changing the cleans to the beginning of the workout as opposed to after deadlifting and overhead press as cleans require more technique and form than the other two

Ok I've only done 2 oly sessions so I do whatever the coach tells me to do on that day while he watches and shows me how to do it correctly, so far obviously i've been trying to get the technique right. In the last session I did..

Behind the neck press
Powersnatch
Powercleans
Hang Pulls
Jerk
Back squats

My overall schedule over a 2 week period would be

Sunday - Oly
Wednesday - Oly
Friday - Oly
Sunday - Oly
Tuesday - Gym
Thursday - Gym
Sunday (repeat from top)

If it helps (which it probably doesnt) i'm 5"10, 80kgs and have been training for a few years. My max's are: DL 160kg, Squat 100kg & Bench 95kg (i know, i know, years of bullshit BB training and neglecting my legs have left me with strength imbalances which i'm working on!)

That's much clearer.

I'd suggest either high bar squats one day, and front squats the other. Then maybe some upper body work, either as assistance to Oly, like overhead work, or as a chance to do something different, like chins or bench. Then finish up with some posterior chain work, like GHR, back extensions or GMs.

You could also use those days as deload or light days on occasion.

That's much clearer.

I'd suggest either high bar squats one day, and front squats the other. Then maybe some upper body work, either as assistance to Oly, like overhead work, or as a chance to do something different, like chins or bench. Then finish up with some posterior chain work, like GHR, back extensions or GMs.

You could also use those days as deload or light days on occasion.

Thanks. I'll make squats the main focus, my front squat is terrible so I'll use one day to bring it up. My ego wanted me to keep benchin' so I'll keep doing it and use the opportunity to do variations or recovery sessions.

Day1: Front Squats, RDL/SLDL, Bench, some core work

Day2: Back Squats, OHP, core work

If you have not already, you could also ask your coach if he has any recommendations. This way if he has a specific program you do not leave anything out or do one exercise excessively.

Back