Gym Equipments After the Quarantine

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With the increase of number of people purchasing weights and gym equipment. I was wondering, once the coronavirus fades away, do you think we will see some good deals off of Craigslist or EBay on gym equipments?

With the increase of number of people purchasing weights and gym equipment. I was wondering, once the coronavirus fades away, do you think we will see some good deals off of Craigslist or EBay on gym equipments?
Definitely. I may have an Elliptical for sale once this is all over.

You will, because gyms will open up and people will return there, so the demand for equipment will drop meaning retail and manufacturers will restock. Right now the price increase is happening because the demand is so high with the supply being a rarity.

If those guys who are selling garbage standard rusted plates for 5-10x markup right now have the ego and want to continue at that rate, they can try, but they ain't gonna get far when brand new, good quality for regular price comes back to being in stock; You can get bumpers from Rogue + shipping, and even a currency difference, and its still about the same as what the cats on FB Marketplace and Craigslist are selling for.
So yeah if they still do wanna sell, they're going to have to adjust, and then you can get it from them for pennies on the dollar. Even better if they have a place lined up and have to move, you can force their hand as the moving date gets closer.

Stuff like this is not going to happen then. No one's gonna buy it, even now most still aren't
kyaXoAg.png

You will, because gyms will open up and people will return there, so the demand for equipment will drop meaning retail and manufacturers will restock. Right now the price increase is happening because the demand is so high with the supply being a rarity.

If those guys who are selling garbage standard rusted plates for 5-10x markup right now have the ego and want to continue at that rate, they can try, but they ain't gonna get far when brand new, good quality for regular price comes back to being in stock; You can get bumpers from Rogue + shipping, and even a currency difference, and its still about the same as what the cats on FB Marketplace and Craigslist are selling for.
So yeah if they still do wanna sell, they're going to have to adjust, and then you can get it from them for pennies on the dollar. Even better if they have a place lined up and have to move, you can force their hand as the moving date gets closer.

Stuff like this is not going to happen then. No one's gonna buy it, even now most still aren't
kyaXoAg.png
None of the major vendors have weights in stock, and it will be weeks before they fulfill pre-orders. They're all itching to make money off desperate bros stuck at home but alas, factories are shut down as well. In my area, 3 dollars/pound is not uncommon for generic weights (normally less than 50 cents per pound). Anything with a desirable brand name (York, Ivanko, etc) will command a premium above that. And forget about Eleiko. That shit is worth its weight in gold right now.

None of the major vendors have weights in stock, and it will be weeks before they fulfill pre-orders. They're all itching to make money off desperate bros stuck at home but alas, factories are shut down as well. In my area, 3 dollars/pound is not uncommon for generic weights (normally less than 50 cents per pound). Anything with a desirable brand name (York, Ivanko, etc) will command a premium above that. And forget about Eleiko. That shit is worth its weight in gold right now.
That's right now it is, sure.

But TS was asking once Covid fades away and things start to open back up again which is what my post was about. Right now the demand is too high while the supply is low.

That's right now it is, sure.

But TS was asking once Covid fades away and things start to open back up again which is what my post was about. Right now the demand is too high while the supply is low.
Yeah, prices are gonna crash but the demand is gonna be there for at least another month. I'm honestly surprised people haven't started burglarizing gyms for the weights by now.

Yeah, prices are gonna crash but the demand is gonna be there for at least another month. I'm honestly surprised people haven't started burglarizing gyms for the weights by now.
Might depend on area. Over here there's some crime, but it hasn't really been going up as I thought it would've. Would've made a great meme if ppl broke into gyms to do squat rack curls like heroin addicts

I think once prices get to normal it might be at the min 7 months from now

In my area, 3 dollars/pound is not uncommon for generic weights (normally less than 50 cents per pound).
Lucky americans, normally less than 50 cents per pound.
In modern EU they are more expensive than this price even without crisis.
3 $ per pound still sounds not nice price, yeah.

Lucky americans, normally less than 50 cents per pound.
In modern EU they are more expensive than this price even without crisis.
3 $ per pound still sounds not nice price, yeah.
Local brands or export? If export it makes sense for the tariffs

I sold a lot of my gym equipment for a profit, built some equipment to replace it, and I'll use the cash I've made to buy better quality gym equipment after this is all over.

You can basically workout for free if you buy used gym equipment. It retains it's value.

In 2009 I bought the following:
$220 - Squat stands, Flat bench, Rubber mats, Barbell, EZ Curl bar, 2 x 25, 4 x 10, 2 x 5
$0.5/lb - 6 x 45, 2 x 25, 4 x 10, 2 x 5, 2 x 2.5
Total = $407.50 CAD

I sold my squat stands a few years back (regretfully) for $175
Recently sold my barbell for $300
Sold my EZ curl for $100
Sold 2 x 25 for $125
Sold 4 x 10 for $110

Built myself some loadable dumbbells and an axle. Now I'm also selling my axles for $160.

This is what everyone thinks, but I have my doubts. Many may keep it and many will have the mentality that if I paid over $2/lb on this weights, there is no way in hell I'm selling these for under $1/lb, etc. Some may quit their gym memberships indefinitely whereas others may realize that now they have the flexibility to train at the gym and at home. I think in general we will see a influx of gym equipment for sale, but I think prices are going to start off higher then the norm initially. Of course supply and demand will dictate pricing so it will eventually drop down to the norm I assume.

Part of me wants to get rid of a lot of gym equipment so I can upgrade basically for free. At the same time I don't need the money, however it's 10x easier to upgrade on profit moreso then my wife allowing me to spend more money on extra gym equipment I don't need. I could get away with selling my ironmaster dumbbells, 45/25/10 set of bumpers and a pair of 45 plates and still have enough weight to train with, but making less than $1000 profit is probably not worth the hassle.

This is what everyone thinks, but I have my doubts. Many may keep it and many will have the mentality that if I paid over $2/lb on this weights, there is no way in hell I'm selling these for under $1/lb, etc. Some may quit their gym memberships indefinitely whereas others may realize that now they have the flexibility to train at the gym and at home. I think in general we will see a influx of gym equipment for sale, but I think prices are going to start off higher then the norm initially. Of course supply and demand will dictate pricing so it will eventually drop down to the norm I assume.

Part of me wants to get rid of a lot of gym equipment so I can upgrade basically for free. At the same time I don't need the money, however it's 10x easier to upgrade on profit moreso then my wife allowing me to spend more money on extra gym equipment I don't need. I could get away with selling my ironmaster dumbbells, 45/25/10 set of bumpers and a pair of 45 plates and still have enough weight to train with, but making less than $1000 profit is probably not worth the hassle.

I agree with most of this.

Some people are going to be paranoid and will continue working out at home to avoid the crowds at gyms or they'll end up really enjoying their home gyms and won't sell. Others who love the variety of a gym and the social aspect will be clamoring to return. There will be an influx of decent used stuff out there but I really don't think it's going to be this bonanza of awesome, barely used olympic plates, racks, and barbells. The majority of things for sale with be things like bands, kettlebells, pullup bars, and adjustable dumbbells.

Local brands or export? If export it makes sense for the tariffs
Didn't used this service but not bad insight worth.
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-deluxe-rubber-dumbbell-sets-grp0150001
40 kg = 35GBP.
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/weights/kettlebells
https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/weights/weight-kits/standard-weights-sets
----
https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=kettlebell-
--------------------
Actually about EU, we do have local stuff, but huge part is import from non EU/EEZ.
There we do have 1. customs and ……...
+ 2. this
https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/vat-rules-rates/index_en.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax
Standart rate is ~17-27%.
Ofc countries might adjust something.

Of course, weights last for long term, unlike gloves, bag's surface materials etc.

Why would anyone give up the home gym to go back to the gym? Seems idiotic to me. Of course I home gym out of necessity. If I were single and childless I'd be at a gym.

Some people are going to be paranoid and will continue working out at home to avoid the crowds at gyms or they'll end up really enjoying their home gyms and won't sell. Others who love the variety of a gym and the social aspect will be clamoring to return.
This doesn't mean that they mandatory will sell anything.
Yes, demand of course will drop and with this hopefully prices too.
---
Now there are: safety measures, restrictions, prohibitions depending from country.
Yes, I will look, how fast clientele for restaurants, pubs, hotels, mass events etc will return in previous ammount after this modern virus will disappear, res

Covid panic isn't going anywhere with Fauci talking about how it will likely make an aggressive return. This is their way of crashing the economy and making a mountain of money off the vaccine(s) which will basically become mandatory if you still want to be able to buy groceries. The danger of this virus is vastly overrated and there's an ulterior motive behind all the panic the msm is creating.

Weights will probably get cheaper again eventually.

Back