Guys who practice more stand up (striking) than grappling....enter here

legshot420 said:
because you can't grapple more than one guy at a time.
I wouldn't recommend trying to fight more than one person at a time with grappling or striking. Even if they can't fight for shit, they most surely will overwhelm you. People who brag about being able to fight multiple opponents are usually either deluded or dishonest.

As for me, I don't grapple right now because my schedule at university is fucked up and the grappling classes at the place I train at are only in the evenings.

with striking its easy to find a decent boxing gym just about anywhere, plus its alot of fun and i like pretending im bernard hopkins or whoever when i shadow box in the mirror and it gets the aggresion out more just being able to whale away at the bag . im a grappling fan as well, i guess it stems from me being a pro wrestling fan when i was a little kid and i just love being able to roll around on the floor and trying to put on submissons. i dont know both are great for different reasons, with striking you can go at it solo but with grappling you can go alot harder in sparring since there is less chance of a serious injury.

I grew up with judo. My parents never liked boxing/striking, they thought it was too "aggressive" and since no-one I knew growing up did striking stuff I just stuck with Judo.

I had a guy at school convince me to do a TKD/karate/HKD class but after an hour of punching air I was bored sh#tless because i just wanted to frigging FIGHT someone.

15 years later I get broadband, discover forums and lead from judo forums into mma/bjj forums and therefore get an interest in MT. However as my base is hugely judo - training for comps and coaching - it is hard to find the time for another interest, especially with wife + 2 kids.

Stand up IMO prepares you more for full contact fights, it develops a realistic view of what a fight is like simply because in training you get hit as opposed to grapplers, also you get used to the higher level of fitness that strikers usually enjoy also because the simple fact is if your unfit in a grappling match you get tired lose and tap out, but if you get tired in a striking match you get whacked up thats the difference with regards to having an edge.

But both are essential in regards to MMA so i suggest you do whatever you enjoy.

Ive always just been better on my feet natrually..Muay Thai is my base

While I do agree that getting hit does give you good preparation for that particular aspect. If you are boxing and boxing ONLY, then what gives you preparation for takedowns, throws, clinches, or the ground?

With regards to tapping out to being fatigued and the "if you get tired in a striking match you get whacked up" statement, who is stopping you from taking a knee, or going down from some shots even if you weren't knocked down.

All fights start standing, so I guess, a good idea would be to have a strong base so you can start strong.

I grew up fighting with an older brother and others. It just seemed natural. after 12 years of stand up I am branching out and I DO enjoy some aspects of grappling, but Striking is just so natural for me. But in the end, they are both just tools for you to use.

I do more standup because there is no grappling schools where i live.

triso said:
While I do agree that getting hit does give you good preparation for that particular aspect. If you are boxing and boxing ONLY, then what gives you preparation for takedowns, throws, clinches, or the ground?

With regards to tapping out to being fatigued and the "if you get tired in a striking match you get whacked up" statement, who is stopping you from taking a knee, or going down from some shots even if you weren't knocked down.

I was talking more of a competitive mental attitude not actual skills for MMA also i said Stand up not just boxing.

Boxer said:
I was talking more of a competitive mental attitude not actual skills for MMA also i said Stand up not just boxing.

if you get used to taking a punch then the other stuff is nothing to be afraid of, while grapplers are just a little to hesitant of getting hit.

Ok, I do believe that getting hit gives you the MENTAL edge of not fearing it. If you do not get hit constantly, then you fear getting hit and tend to have a bad reflex to it to either move backwards or shut your eyes, both of which are bad habits, and I believe this is what you meant when you said

I've not trained BJJ since I was previously not very aware of it and currently finding my ongoing attempts to line up a school to be frustrated by work. I had a place all scoped out that had morning *and* evening classes, which I need since I teach and my damned schedule changes every 10 weeks, and I dunno if I'll be working mornings, nights, or both. The school just re-vamped its schedule, and it seems to have no morning classes. Me girlfriend and I are going to talk to them this Saturday, since it's head instructors are affiliated with the same guy who trained the dude my gf is training with now upstate when she's co-opping (Helio Soneca Moreira).

But I wanna learn; grappling is good stuff.

I prefer standup since, of course, I always trained it and would use it first in a fight since I can end the fight more quickly and do so on my feet, where I can move around if I have to or move away, at high speed, if things get to hairy. My experience with fights is that the ground is the last place you wanna be; then again, it's also my experience that shit that you don't wanna have happen invariably does in a fight.

As I don't train in a school right now, I like the fact that I can keep my striking sharp at home, alone, for free.

Plus, 30 minutes or so of intense bagwork is not only a great cardio workout and muscle-toner, it's very cathartic. I always feeling calm, relaxed, and loose after I hit the bag.

Back