Guys who practice more stand up (striking) than grappling....enter here

D

DKM76

I asked this question in the BJJ/Judo/Wrestling section as to why spend more time on grappling rather than striking....now I ask the same question in reverse...why spend more time with Muay Thai or Boxing, or karate or TKD than on grappling. What's your reason? Is it that, you can finish fights quicker this way or 100% of the fights start standing up....or what?

because it's not easy to find a bbj class close to your home here in Belgium and because you need another person te grapple with, while you don't need anyone to kick the bag

I do more striking than grappling but thats because I'm more interested in competing in kickboxing than in MMA. I do train some grappling but not to prepare for competition.

I train more striking than grappling simply because I just find striking arts more fun.

I train more standup than grappling because it's more fun, plus i'm better at it. I also end fights much better with standup.

I train for fun and enjoyment and the desire to not get too fat in my middle age.

I like grappling too, but my 'mother style' (the style that started me into martial arts) is striking (TKD). Experimentation, cross training, etc are all cool and fun, but I just like kicking...

I missed your other thread so I'll post here. I love stand up, even though bjj is my strength. I train bjj more out of convenience, you can always get someone to roll with you whether its a wrestler, a friend, or a training partner. It's hard to get people to spar with. Plus, I don't like to develop bad habits by working alone.

stand up is fun for me. i always found striking forms like muay thai more interesting than grappling. also, its worth having good standup because fights on the street usually start with punches. the best thing to do is learn your standup then when you're good at that learn grappling.

Because you can train stand up by yourself even when you don't have a partner or sparring partner... whereas you really can't do much w/o a partner in grappling.

I prefer standup because I can get home from work and whale away on my punching to get stress out quicker. I get some out with my grappling dummy too, but I feel it more when low-kicking my bag.

At the current time I'm not training for any competitions, I'm training for myself, to stay in shape and in the event that a situation arises where I need to defend myself or family the best way to do that is on my feet. I also feel that the quickest way to deal with said situation. Don't get me wrong I enjoy grappling but I have a passion for the stand-up arts.

ballie said:
because it's not easy to find a bbj class close to your home here in Belgium and because you need another person te grapple with, while you don't need anyone to kick the bag

This is pretty much my reason. There is a BJJ dojo about 40 minutes or so from where I live. It's just too much with having a child and wife and with my job traveling.

My dojo teaches so aikido, but that's about it. Eventually they are supposed to get a judo instructer with about 30 years under his belt. That would be nice.

I would like to both equaly but where i live their is more chance of me getting boxing matches than anything else so i put most of my time into boxing

i started off with boxing and it's come in more handy than anything else in the street fights ive been in. bjj is valuable but i'd rather KO someone than take them down and submit them when im in a bad situation.. ive only used grappling in fights to get back to my feet or defend a takedown actually.

say you had to fight 100 normal men and you could pick 5 pro's to fight with you. i'd be picking guys like mark hunt, wandy, cro-cop, igor

when you grapple you are kind of sacrificing yourself and the other person to the ground. with striking you can have this inpenetrable barrier. you can be an impermiable membrane. :eek:

p.s. wow after reading the grappling thread i realized that they are a bunch of pussies

here at college they have a boxing club, and since i cant go home to train in my gym, ive become a sick striker. Plus no one on campus fucks with a kid who can fight, bunch of pussies around here

plus IMO, if you can learn to move and punch like a boxer, ive found BJJ and MT to be so much easier, boxing is a good base

Dont got good mma or bjj in my town. But there are a good boxing gym.

Does boxing in the weekdays and trys to get a little mma club going in the weekend.
Ideally i would like to train all integrated in a good mma gym. Putting the pieces together.

I train fairly equally in both, and love them both. I really don't see a distinction between the two. To me they are both facets of the same game. I train striking with grappling in mind, and vice versa.

Right now i'm training MUCH more stand up cause grappling comes more naturally to me and striking is my weakness

Back