Guys reaping my knee in training?

OK, so actually I was right to tell my training partner that he can't legally put his legs in that position to sweep me. Thanks, I feel vindicated now.

I noticed there's nothing written about reaping the knee in the IBJJF rules at all, what gives?

I think I did this to you for a heal hook and you reminded me too.

I believe the anklelock off of the 50/50 will also get you dq'd for reaping the knee but not 100% sure.

Man, I learned to reap the knee 15 years ago or so, as a counter to someone standing in your guard. Wasn't until just the last couple years that I realized there was an issue with doing it. I'm sure I taught it at least a couple of times during grappling class over the years.

I believe the anklelock off of the 50/50 will also get you dq'd for reaping the knee but not 100% sure.

no, 50/50 is the exact opposite of reaping the knee (reaping turns the knee in, 50/50 turns the knee out), and depending on what you mean by "ankle lock" that could be legal depending on the division. straight footlock is always legal, toe hold is legal brown and up, but heel hooks are never legal.

A guy named K3ylock on the UG had an interesting scenario. What if while performing an ankle lock he crossed his leg over but in such a way that it did not put pressure on the knee...like this...

scaled.php

Since the reap rule is to avoid pressure on the knee, this would avoid that, he would lose a good amount of control over the opponents hip though...

90% of refs would DQ him even though it's not reaping.

I swept a blue belt today in specific drills (sweep or pass) and as I got up to walk away he heelhooked me. I was so shocked I couldn't really muster up madness.

90% of refs would DQ him even though it's not reaping.

I swept a blue belt today in specific drills (sweep or pass) and as I got up to walk away he heelhooked me. I was so shocked I couldn't really muster up madness.

Seriously, WTF.

He should be sweeping you the other way anyway! it's way easier and legal.

For reference show your friend Bill Cooper's 2008 No-Gi Worlds match against Carlos Diego Ferreira where The Grill is DQ'd for reaping the leg while Carlos was standing.

Yeah next time I'll just tell guys to cross their legs on the other side.

I thought it was legal in no-gi though. Does IBJJF no-gi have the same rules as gi regarding submissions? So neck cranks and heel hooks are always verboten?

Yeah next time I'll just tell guys to cross their legs on the other side.

I thought it was legal in no-gi though. Does IBJJF no-gi have the same rules as gi regarding submissions? So neck cranks and heel hooks are always verboten?

IBJJF has the same rules for GI and NOGI as well.

Someone did this to me again three times during training yesterday, WTF?! The third time I was finally like "that sweep is illegal" and he goes "oh really? why?" and I said "it's reaping the knee" and he goes "oh, ok." Then another guy who was rolling nearby goes "that was the 50/50 right?" and I'm like "No, 50/50 is when you cross your legs on the other side."

My new instructor is great, but he really needs to teach his students the difference between the 50/50 guard and an illegal knee reap!!

Back