Gustavsson made Jones wrestling look amateurish

Gustafsson had tremendous TDD this fight. Jones going only 1 for 12 (or as the UFC later updated, 1 for 11) in TD must do a number on Jones's wrestling confidence. Jones, who said just a day or two before the fight, that Phil Davis's grappling "took (Gustafsson's) soul," should be eating humble pie after Gustafsson thoroughly neutralized Jones's wrestling. Just by watching this fight, it would look like Jones did not know how to wrestle...that's how good Gustfasson is. Of course Jones is an incredibly strong wrestler who knows how to effectively use his leverage on people, but the fact that he went 1 FOR 12 has to be humbling...or at least reason to praise Gustafsson's incredible grappling, which has seemingly improved leaps and bounds in a very short time. Jones tried everything, from trips to double legs, and was able to get one off on a rocked and very tired Gustafsson (Jones is a warrior to power through it all), but yes, Gustafsson made one of Jones's greatest strengths look amateur. Jones's most effective weapon was his unorthodox striping (the elbow in the 4th), not his wrestling and most certainly not his supposedly improved boxing.

Yesterday, who would've thought Jones would've went 1 for 12 in takedowns with Gustafsson making Jones's wrestling, one of his greatest skill sets, look weak? Gustafsson made Jones's boxing look weak, but we know Jones was never really a strong boxer (but a very effective MMA striker nonetheless), but Gustafsson also made Jones look like he was not really much of a wrestler at all. Jones always talks about beating people at their own game and demoralizing them (one of the hallmarks of a Jackson gameplan), but if anything, Gus probably demoralized Jones by completely nullifying what is arguably Jones's strongest skill: wrestling (while also handily beating Jones in the striking for the overwhelming majority of the fight).

Both fighters are absolute warriors but Gustafsson proved he's very strong and very skilled tonight, and his stock will soar because of tonight's performance.

Almost a perfect post. I have nothing to add.

that doesn't mean Jones's wrestling sucks

what planet do you people live on
Who's saying it sucks??

Planet "Jones wrestling is overrated" obviously.
This was such a shocking development. We all though Gus's TDD was much better since he was training under Davis but it was assumed Jones would wear him down and take him down and finish him eventually. Davis said in an interview that Gus was actually taking him down in sparring as well as stuffing his takedowns. I didn't believe him on the takedown part but now it's clear Gus has a good takedown game he took Jones down and tried several other times.
Exactly.

I remember Jones himself said Davis wrestling was overrated, not near his level.

So how do we make sense of that?

Who's saying it sucks??

Planet "Jones wrestling is overrated" obviously.
Exactly.

I remember Jones himself said Davis wrestling was overrated, not near his level.

So how do we make sense of that?

You make sense of it by realizing that Gus has improved since he fought Davis.

This is the same Davis that could do nothing to Nogueira and Rashad, Jones had somewhat of a point.

Phil Davis didn't have a problem, JBJ doesn't have exceptional wrestling. He's very creative and very long he gets takedowns mostly by surprise. He's no blue collar wrestler

I recall Phil Davis struggling for a long time before finally being able to get Gus to the ground.

Right now i'm picturing in my head how Cormier would murder Jones.

You make sense of it by realizing that Gus has improved since he fought Davis.

This is the same Davis that could do nothing to Nogueira and Rashad, Jones had somewhat of a point.
Nobody is debating that, it's not the point being made here.

By Jones negating Davis as to negate Gus and yet still had to stop going for failed takedowns, makes it nonsensical referring to short term improvement by Gus, training with Davis.

Nobody is debating that, it's not the point being made here.

By Jones negating Davis as to negate Gus and yet still had to stop going for failed takedowns, makes it nonsensical referring to short term improvement by Gus, training with Davis.

The fight with Gus and Davis was long ago.

Gus improved. Get over it.

yeap this is why the loss is even more devastating. He managed to make it a 25 minute striking battle, and still lost.

The fight with Gus and Davis was long ago.

Gus improved. Get over it.
Seriously dude! The experts had Gus a bigger underdog than Sonnen due to Jones supposed superiority in wrestling. Please understand that!

Jones wrestling got humbeld by a same sized striker. Get over it!

Jones is a solid wreslter. But his takedowns I thought have always been subpar, which was further prove in his bout with Gus, which Gus exposed with his surprisingly superior TDD.

Back