Gustafsson's potential

JonCage

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe it's even higher than Jones and that's some scary shit right there. He has evolved so much from the loss to Davis and he looked fucking amazing against Jones.

What do you guys think? Does he have even higher potential than Jones?

O boy. We will see in the rematch. I hope both men get to fully heal up and plenty of rest.

future champ!

Jones is one of a kind though

He could very potentially have a higher potential than Jones. It's quite potentially possible.

Potentially.

He could very potentially have a higher potential than Jones. It's quite potentially possible.

Potentially.

I hear what you're saying. But till Gus win's the belt, defends it 6 times against 5 former champs and goes on a ten fight win streak he can't even be compared to JJ.

Funny how fans disregard the amazing accomplishments of Jones just because he has one kinda close fight that was still a UD in his favor.. Get a cut and a fat lip and suddenly you're overrated.

It's so hard to say. Gus has made leaps and bounds but I feel like Jones is naturally gifted and maybe the fact that he's been breezing through the division for the most part may have curved his appetite to get better.

Last match was a HUGE wake up call because if we charted both fighters improvements, Gus will be surpass Jones the next time they meet, if they keep going at that rate.

I expect Jones to ramp up on his development as well both their next fights respectively will be so interesting.

I hear what you're saying. But till Gus win's the belt, defends it 6 times against 5 former champs and goes on a ten fight win streak he can't even be compared to JJ.

Funny how fans disregard the amazing accomplishments of Jones just because he has one kinda close fight that was still a UD in his favor.. Get a cut and a fat lip and suddenly you're overrated.

Jones is an amazing fighter. I was very impressed by him. Both Jones and Gustafsson is 26 years old and they have a long future in this sport. They sure have my respect for life after that amazing fight they put on.

They're not comparable? Uhm, wake the fuck up. They just had an ultra close fight.

Jones is an amazing fighter. I was very impressed by him. Both Jones and Gustafsson is 26 years old and they have a long future in this sport. They sure have my respect for life after that amazing fight they put on.

totally agree. It'll be a long time before we see such an awesome fight.

Nope, no chance.

I'm convinced Davis easily takes it using the GSP School of LNP.

I have a great feeling the rematch will be a lot like Shogun/Machida II. Back then Machida (and his supposed to be era) was undefeated w/ flawless record and very hard to figure out had a close title defense fight against Shogun, and everyone thought Shogun will have a very hard time in the rematch saying Machida already knew what he done wrong and will win the rematch decisively, but Shogun had other plans and erased all doubts in the rematch.

Yes, I believe Gus will do better and will have more improvements in the rematch than Jones

I personally think he does but I understand at this point it's entirely subjective. Both the same age, fighting for a similar time period (Gus slightly longer). Both have been in the UFC a similar time in the UFC (Jones a year longer) and matched up about as evenly as two fighters can, regardless of who you gave the edge in the fight.

My reasoning for believing Gus has the higher ceiling is the rate of improvement in ratio to the amount he has been training full-time, which apparently is after the Davis loss so we're talking a little over 3 years. That's pretty fucking crazy when you think about it.

I wouldn't disagree that Jones has faced better competition, but I would have Bet money on Gus beating any of Jones's opponents in similar devastating fashion had he had the opportunity.

They're not comparable? Uhm, wake the fuck up. They just had an ultra close fight.

How many title defenses does Gus have??? How many former champions has he beat in a row? How many fights has he won in a row currently???

Resume wise Gus doesn't compare to Jones. It's like a Wendy's cashiers resume vs a Nasa Aeronautical Engineers resume at this point.

Yes it was a close fight, but you can't say Gus has anywhere near the resume of Jones. Plus if Gus goes on a losing streak, gets cut, in two years we'll all forget about him while he's fighting in the toughest tournament in combat sports,fighting in Bellator against Tito Ortiz.

I'm convinced Davis easily takes it using the GSP School of LNP.

I'm not, Davis struggled like crazy to take Gus down in the first fight, he defended like 7 takedown attempts. Gus has improved more than Davis if you ask me.

How many title defenses does Gus have??? How many former champions has he beat in a row? How many fights has he won in a row currently???

Resume wise Gus doesn't compare to Jones. It's like a Wendy's cashiers resume vs a Nasa Aeronautical Engineers resume at this point.

Yes it was a close fight, but you can't say Gus has anywhere near the resume of Jones. Plus if Gus goes on a losing streak, gets cut, in two years we'll all forget about him while he's fighting in the toughest tournament in combat sports,fighting in Bellator against Tito Ortiz.

Is that you in your avatar? JW.

Skillwise he's comparable, resum

This. Its pathetic. It seems like we re dealing with either kids or retards/trolls here on sherdog.

Gus is actually 7 months older than Jones. I think Gus had more room for improvement than Jones going back a few years and he closed the gap considerably. But that doesn't necessarily mean that he has more potential than Jones. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Back