Gustafsson's potential

I think Gus will beat Jones in a rematch. This could possibly be a trilogy with great fights!

totally agree. It'll be a long time before we see such an awesome fight.

I'm convinced Davis easily takes it using the GSP School of LNP.

Even if Davis gets Gus down using different takedown techniques will he hold him down? Jon Jones couldn't keep him down at all.

I'd say his roof may be just a tad higher.

It's really hard to say. Skill-wise, each fighter has something they are better than the other at.

The thing for me are physical assets.

Both have great chins, both have similar size. Both appear to have similar strength.

That being said, Gus seemed faster to me, at least hand-speed. This may be due to having more fluidity in his boxing game, but his hands just appeared faster. Speed is one of the more difficult things to increase, so, that's his one apparent physical plus imo.

That being said, an injury to either fighter could dramatically alter this. Time will tell, I'm certain these two will probably have more than one more fight against each-other.

How many title defenses does Gus have??? How many former champions has he beat in a row? How many fights has he won in a row currently???

Resume wise Gus doesn't compare to Jones. It's like a Wendy's cashiers resume vs a Nasa Aeronautical Engineers resume at this point.

Yes it was a close fight, but you can't say Gus has anywhere near the resume of Jones. Plus if Gus goes on a losing streak, gets cut, in two years we'll all forget about him while he's fighting in the toughest tournament in combat sports,fighting in Bellator against Tito Ortiz.

You're a real idiot. Both Jones and Gus are elite fighters. Of the two, Jones has the better resum

Gus relies too much on his chin. He will eventually have a fight where it won't carry him through a tough spot. It's not like he is shutting down strikers or seemingly significantly improving his standup anymore. He had close fights with both Silva and Shogun where he took sick powershots to the face. Furthermore, though he has great clinch control and takedowns, his top game does not seem to improve very rapidly. He has shown the same issues with controlling fighters from the top for quite a while now. Not that I expected him to be able to hold down Jones btw.

Negativity out of the way, I hope I am wrong and that he becomes a legend of the sport.

I hear what you're saying. But till Gus win's the belt, defends it 6 times against 5 former champs and goes on a ten fight win streak he can't even be compared to JJ.

Funny how fans disregard the amazing accomplishments of Jones just because he has one kinda close fight that was still a UD in his favor.. Get a cut and a fat lip and suddenly you're overrated.

I think taking that level of punishment will actually light a fire under bones like we've never seen before. I think he will come back stronger and better...he's that kind of guy. Takes challenges and is smart and figures things out. He will find a lot of holes in his game from watching this fight that others haven't exposed like Gus did...Gus presented a different set of challenges. Jones will right the ship and will be better then ever. Scary dude.

Thank you for those kind words.

It's MMA. Who thought Chuck would go on his streak after losing to Page??? Anything can happen. Do I think Gus will go on some epic losing streak? No. But in today's age of what have you done for me lately MMA Fans, Gus could easily lose another close contested fight and never get another title shot in his UFC career.

Luckily for Phil Davis he's not Jon Jones. He's Phil Davis. You can't compare JJ's inability to get Gus down to a future fight with Davis

Of course you can. Jones couldn't hold onto Gus long enough to even get real meaningful takedown attempts. It's not like Gus displayed a vast array of takedown counters. Gus kept distance. JJ is as fast (probably faster) than Davis and JJ has better striking. Davis would have a much more difficult time getting in proper range for takedowns.

That being said, Davis is the better pure wrestler and would likely be a lot more focused on the takedown.

Anyways, I think most people would favor Gus in a Davis rematch and rightfully so. There have been other guys to essentially shut down Davis's wrestling, Gus is the only one to do it to Jones. I just see Gus keeping his distance and disengaging right away.

Gus' "achievements"...don't compare to Jones. Not sure what his "achievements" really are.

He decisioned a well past his prime Shogun who is 2-4 in his last 6 fights.
He decisioned Tiago Silva...not exactly a great achievement.
Finished a few average fellas (42yr old Vlady, Te Huna, Hammil, Diabate).
Lost to Phil Davis by Sub.
Lost a close fight to Jones (his best performance).

He hasn't achieved anything really. Not compared to anyone who ever won a title and certainly compared to Jones who has plowed through the who's who of the division winning and defending the title.

You're not a fan of MMA. I suspect you're here for other reasons.

How many title defenses does Gus have??? How many former champions has he beat in a row? How many fights has he won in a row currently???

Resume wise Gus doesn't compare to Jones. It's like a Wendy's cashiers resume vs a Nasa Aeronautical Engineers resume at this point.

Yes it was a close fight, but you can't say Gus has anywhere near the resume of Jones. Plus if Gus goes on a losing streak, gets cut, in two years we'll all forget about him while he's fighting in the toughest tournament in combat sports,fighting in Bellator against Tito Ortiz.

Jones is undeniably the man with the greater current resume but your comparison is grossly, grossly exagerrated. But I'm nearly certain you are just trolling, because it is very obvious Gus is not going to get cut anytime soon.

I think taking that level of punishment will actually light a fire under bones like we've never seen before. I think he will come back stronger and better...he's that kind of guy. Takes challenges and is smart and figures things out. He will find a lot of holes in his game from watching this fight that others haven't exposed like Gus did...Gus presented a different set of challenges. Jones will right the ship and will be better then ever. Scary dude.

I agree with all this.

I think both fighters will learn and grow from this fight.

Gus certainly rose to the occasion, eclipsing any of his previous displays by quite a bit. It wasn't enough but, it was damn close, giving Jones his toughest test by far.

MMA exists outside of this website.

captainobvious.jpg

Gus' "achievements"...don't compare to Jones. Not sure what his "achievements" really are.

He decisioned a well past his prime Shogun who is 2-4 in his last 6 fights.
He decisioned Tiago Silva...not exactly a great achievement.
Finished a few average fellas (42yr old Vlady, Te Huna, Hammil, Diabate).
Lost to Phil Davis by Sub.
Lost a close fight to Jones (his best performance).

He hasn't achieved anything really. Not compared to anyone who ever won a title and certainly compared to Jones who has plowed through the who's who of the division winning and defending the title.

Oh we're playing that game are we?
beats a past his prime rampage(0-2 in last 2 fights now fighting an essentially retired Tito in Bellator)
A shot Shogun coming off knee surgery
decisioned Evans who is 1-2 in his last 3 only win coming over a 42yr old Hendo via SD
Machida who is 3-4 in his last 7 and dropping down a division
A couple of old guys vera and Vlad and a couple of MW's with no wins in the division at the time.
etc etc

Now I dont agree with any of that crap and Jones opponents have been higher quality (he's the champ so it's hardly surprising) but that discrediting wins shit is nonsense.

Jones is undeniably the man with the greater current resume but your comparison is grossly, grossly exagerrated. But I'm nearly certain you are just trolling, because it is very obvious Gus is not going to get cut anytime soon.

Are you Doc Brown? Maybe you're from the movie Looper, 30 years into the future???

Yeah, Gus probably won't get cut anytime soon, but how can we know? Still, Comparing JJ's resume and Gus's is stupid. Gus's biggest thing on his resume is currently losing to the champion in a close fight. The funniest thing of this all is I don't even like Jones that much. He's alright in my book, but if he continues to win against Top competition he might be the GOAT. It's safe to say Gus is the best fighter from Sweden. Which I guess is an accomplishment, but I'm not sure about that.

beats a past his prime rampage(0-2 in last 2 fights now fighting an essentially retired Tito in Bellator)
decisioned Evans who is 1-2 in his last 3 only win coming over a 42yr old Hendo via SD
A couple of old guys vera and Vlad and a couple of MW's with no wins in the division at the time.

Now I dont agree with any of that crap and Jones opponents have been higher quality (he's the champ do it's hardly surprising) but that discrediting wins shit is nonsense.

is your name captain Hindsight by any chance????

Now I dont agree with any of that crap and Jones opponents have been higher quality (he's the champ do it's hardly surprising) but that discrediting wins shit is nonsense.

To be fair look at the guys BEFORE they fought Jones. There were all worthy of a title shot. One guy (Shogun) had just beat Machida (2x arguably), Machida is great, Shad had only lost to Machida, the Page he fought was looking great in that fight and got subbed for the first time, Finished a couple beefed up MW guys since he'd cleaned the LHW out temperorarily.

Let's not re-write history.

Back