Gustafsson vs. Johnson

WillW

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How do you guys see this going?
Also include Hendo vs. Mousasi and Bader vs. Davis if you want.

People talk about Aldo's footwork and jab. Watch Gus to see excellent examples of this as well, with a different, more active approach. Alex is easily one of the best strikers in MMA. he almost has a work-rate of the smaller wt. classes being his size, its awesome to watch.

Yeah, I can't wait for it,, I am also looking forward to see Tumenov fight, he has a very cool striking combo of Karate/Boxing.

As for Gus' striking, it's great to watch, such slick boxing. The way he dominated Jones in the boxing was amazing to watch, just moved laterally, jabbed the body and come over the top with a left hook, he also has a nice check hook.

I think Gus by tko 3/4th round.

Gus is open for the head kick. Rumble got a good head kick

Rumble got better and more powerful headkicks compared to jon jones.

And this is Anthony's only shot

Fuuuuuuuuuck no.

Rumble is the most underrated LHW on the map. Dude is as explosive as Randleman without the steroids, as slick as Guillard, and as black as both of them. If Gus can't control the distance, he's gonna get hurt. Jon Jones is praying Gus wins this fight. Johnson puts people to super-sleep.

Last edited:
Johnson has a lot of trouble finding his range. He doesn't land very often when he has to lead, he gets most of his work done when the other guy comes to him in a shitty position. That's not a good sign against someone with the reach and jab of Gustafsson. Especially when you consider that Rumble is very open to body shots. His defense is pretty much just to shell up and stand in place, maybe throw back a right hand or left hook. But Arlovski landed some hard shots to his midsection, and Rumble gassed in the third round of that fight. That's also not a great sign against Gus, who is a good body puncher, has good cardio, and is good at mixing it up high and low.

Rumble does have that ridiculous power...if he can land it. When you look at who he's actually knocked out, it's guys like Mike Kyle (20-12, has been knocked out 6 times), Esteves Jones (8-7, has been knocked out 5 times) DJ Linerdman (16-9, knocked out 3 times), and a bunch of welterweights. Generally guys who didn't really belong in the cage with him in the first place.

Gus is a big step up in competition for him. His best opponent so far was probably Phil Davis. And yea yea Davis subbed Gus 5 years ago, that's his thing. He outgrapples guys who he has a big skill advantage over, but Rumble is a good wrestler and Davis was never a threat to him (or most guys) on the feet. Next to him it's Arlovski, who would have had a good shot at beating Johnson if it was a 5 round fight. Arlovski had success both hitting the body as I mentioned before and kicking against Rumble. He had him tired and was starting to put some shots together in the third round, but ran out of time--partly because Rumble did some stalling on the cage.

Gus is the best striker Rumble has fought since Belfort a few years ago. He's got reach, size, strength, cardio, durability, a great jab and versatility. Rumble has speed, power, explosiveness, a good kicking game and wrestling. Gus has dealt with those things before. Manuwa also had speed and explosiveness, Shogun and Thiago Silva also had power, Jones had the wrestling and kicking game, etc.

I expect a tough first few rounds. Gus will probably get countered hard a few times in round 1 or 2, especially if he misses that uppercut of his. However, I also expect Gus to be doing work with his jab, especially his body jab. I think he'll be able to wear Rumble down and over time start getting Rumble to drop his hands. That's when he'll feint low and come upstairs with his left hook, then jab high and throw his right hand to the body. Work up and down, throw some kicks if Rumble insists on playing that game, and eventually take over the fight. The championship rounds should be all Gus, Johnson has never gone 5. And neither guy has ever been stopped by strikes, so I don't really see that happening unless Gus puts him away late.

And this is Anthony's only shot

You do realize Rumble has the longer reach here right?

Those uppercuts will find that blonde head and disappoint everyone in Sweden.

Not only is that not true purely looking at their listed reach, but it's pretty well established that Gus' reach is over 80 inches but UFC lists him wrong.

Rumbles body is swiss cheese

Not only is that not true purely looking at their listed reach, but it's pretty well established that Gus' reach is over 80 inches but UFC lists him wrong.

Rumbles body is swiss cheese

Gus' head will be concussed brutally.

The most current info lists Rumble as having the longer reach.

So many people have been picking AJ on all the threads I have been to. I must be missing something. Gus has looked outstanding in every fight.

Expect Gus to put AJ out in the first.

I Think AJ vs. Glover would have been a much better and exciting fight. Imo Jones, DC, and Gus are clearly the best In the division, I dont see anybody touching them, besides the other 2.
Fuuuuuuuuuck no.

Rumble is the most underrated LHW on the map. Dude is as explosive as Randleman without the steroids, as slick as Guillard, and as black as both of them. If Gus can't control the distance, he's gonna get hurt. Jon Jones is praying Gus wins this fight. Johnson puts people to super-sleep.

This has to be a joke. Did you watch Jones vs. Gus?

Also Gus isnt really one to stay back and control distance. he moves laterally and uses angles side to side and up and down. He jabbed and LH'd Jones up pretty good B4 he gassed or kicks started to set in. or whatever happened.

This is where using your eyes comes in handy. Gus' reach is well known to be over 80 inches, and if you look at his reach compared to everyone he's fought that should be extremely obvious. UFC height and reach stats are notoriously inaccurate.

wow all this talk of reach...may as well have posted this in the regular forum, they are good at talking about it.:rolleyes:

Gus needs to weather the early storm. After that, I think he can win

If he tries anything too cute before Rumble's nitro (the Excite Bike "B" button) wears off, it'll be bad news

Rumble has a superior chin and more power. If he can avoid gassing he will catch Gus with a big shot and put the lights out in Stockholm.

Rumble has a superior chin and more power. If he can avoid gassing he will catch Gus with a big shot and put the lights out in Stockholm.

I don't think chins come tougher than Gustafsson's.

Rumble got better and more powerful headkicks compared to jon jones.

They will be a little bit tougher to land though Rumble is most liekly "only" about 6ft and Gus is what 6'4 or 6'5.

But Gus sometimes gvies up his height he doesn't fight as tall as he should he has a good jab and good footwork and everything but he still sometimes gets too close to the other guy and if the other guy has good footwork he can usually get close.

But Gus showed a good clinch vs Manuwa which could help him vs Rumble. On the other hand Rumble is very underrated technically everyone says Rumble has only power and Gus is much better technically but Rumble is the better kicker and while he is a power puncher he is a skilled power puncher he jsut has a different style of boxing saying he's unskilled is like saying Mike tyson or Foreman were unskilled (not that Rumble is on the level of either of them).

Cardio could be important Gus gassed a bit vs Jones but that was a fight at an incredibly high pace and he took some damage in it. Rumble has also gassed in the past but against Davis his cardio looked great if he is in the same shape it will be interesting.

It's a really tough fight to predict a lot will depend on Rumble's cardio and his ability to cut off the ring. Also how either guy will be able to take the other guy's power will play a big role

Back