Gustafsson on avoiding Rumble's punching power...

tbh.. rumble is pretty unorthodox and unpredictable in the way he strikes. it will be harder for gus to avoid than against jimmy M.

Why are you making shit up? How is rumble unorthodox?

If styles make fights and often they do, I think comparing this fight to something like JJ vs Rampage isn't to far off and I can see it going the same way where the slow moving hard puncher has to catch up with a taller and faster moving target.

So once again, people are confusing Rumble with Manuwa. Manuwa is not a top tier talent. He hasn't shown that in any way.

Alex saying Rumble won't land is pretty funny. The biggest knock on Gus is that he gets hit. Slow ass hobbled Shogun hit him plenty with telegraphed haymakers. Jones hit him repeatedly with head kicks, and we all know Jones isn't a good striker, especially at distance.

But according to Alex, now he won't get hit by a better striker, with MUCH better kicks? Good thing you read somewhere that he said he'd keep his hands higher this one time :rolleyes:

Manuwa is very comparable with AJ. Johnson has the better wrestling credentials, but that's it, saying he's a better striker just goes to show how deep down your throat*those shiny balls of his have gone.

And shogun was landing at will? That's what you make it sound like, back in reality he landed 2 overhands over the course of 15 minutes and struggled greatly with everything else. But I get why you're reaching, your position is tenous enough even with the hyperbole you're spouting.

Failed to knockdown arlovski, failed to knock down Davis, but finished lil' Nog so now he's "a much better striker" shows how much you know about the striking game.. don't worry little buddy, your hero will come through one day, it just wont be on the 25th.

ITT: Gus fans seriously discrediting Rumble, Rumble fans seriously discrediting Gus.

Does anybody think it might just be a close fight?

ting Rumble, Rumble fans seriously discrediting Gus.

Does anybody think it might just be a close fight?[/QUOTE]

Rumble fans doing everything in their power to discredit Manuwa.

You don't see why "gus fans" are surprised by all the rumble-striking praise? It's basically based solely on his little nog fight. And it's clear what tune they'll be singing if AJ Were to get finished.

I believe Gus will take this easily.
My interest is in seeing rumble win though 😀

ITT: Gus fans seriously discrediting Rumble, Rumble fans seriously discrediting Gus.

Its not about discrediting Rumble, its about Gus being so much better than many people here give him credit for. Actually this things goes in cycles. Right after a Gus fight people are pretty much all over him. Then the months passes by and pretty much everyone on sherdog (except the swedes and the well informed) seems to start underestimate him.

We saw the same things before the upcoming fights with Thiago Silva, Shogun, Jon Jones (obviously) and even Manuwa. Its like some people just can not grasp that this lanky goofy guy actually is the Larry Bird of the LHW division. He is that good.

Disclaimer: Rumble has power and everything can happen in mma, bla, bla, bla. But that goes for every mma fight.

You completely missed the point (or most likely, AVOIDED it) that Gus got hit hard by the best strikers he has faced, every time...because he has poor striking defense!!

Getting hit by good strikers means your defense is poor? Maybe its because theyre good strikers? Hell,even Jones has been tagged,does his defense suck?

Rumble knocked out Zombie Nog
Now he'll get knocked out by Gus

Seriously

Mir knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Lesnar in his next fight

Nelson knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Hunt in his next fight

Mother. Fucking. Science!

tbh.. rumble is pretty unorthodox and unpredictable in the way he strikes. it will be harder for gus to avoid than against jimmy M.

Not really, he throws very textbook strikes with great technique and they pack a ton of power

I don't know if expecting to never get hit clean once in 25 minutes is a sound gameplan.

I expect Gus to win, but I don't expect it to be easy, and I doubt he'll be unscathed.

tumblr_inline_muz1q5jfPF1r475xt.gif

I do

Its not about discrediting Rumble, its about Gus being so much better than many people here give him credit for. Actually this things goes in cycles. Right after a Gus fight people are pretty much all over him. Then the months passes by and pretty much everyone on sherdog (except the swedes and the well informed) seems to start underestimate him.

We saw the same things before the upcoming fights with Thiago Silva, Shogun, Jon Jones (obviously) and even Manuwa. Its like some people just can not grasp that this lanky goofy guy actually is the Larry Bird of the LHW division. He is that good.
Sherdoggers are also the masters of post-fight predictions. This is why I prefer to reference betting odds, whenever I want to get a realistic grasp of how the MMA media views upcoming fighters.

The way he lost against Davis hurt him, because it was at a point when a few stars were still rising in the division (Davis being one of them). Fast forward to the Shogun fight (his biggest win at the time), and Shogun was facing a bunch of inconsistencies on his own end, to match a now winning Gus. The odds favored Gus, and the fight was about as competitive as the odds dictated (not a blowout, but a solid win). He then entered the Jones fight a deep underdog, and for good reason-- Jones had absolutely killed Shogun (who hadn't changed too much since), while Jones was riding a huge streak. Gus, entering a huge underdog, surprised everyone with such a competitive fight (hence why his career took off).

Since then, he's had a single fight and a long layoff. In the sport of MMA, there are hot prospects who fizzle out, and then guys who have hot nights, then go on to perform beneath expectations (Henricks, for example). For this reason, I think its fine if people reserve some skepticism for Gus. Fans and swedes should believe in him, but there isn't exactly this solid case or body of work to say that anyone else automatically should.

The opening odds for Gus vs Rumble are -190/150, in favor of Gus. If I recall correctly, those are closer than the Shogun fight (his best win). Neither group of fans has any reason to overlook the other fighter, when it gets down to it.

Gus is the better fighter and has more tools. He's likely to become one of the great fighters of his generation.

AJ is a powder keg and could easily spoil this party though, no doubt about it.

I think Rumble is a lot more dangerous for Gustafsson than Manuwa. Manuwa is physically gifted and not much more. Rumble, while certainly not a technical marvel, actually has some fundamentals and has shown some understanding and variation when setting his work up. Manuwa is all flash and power from the outside which is fine against strikers devoid of talent, but not against someone who actually has some defensive ability and can see the punches coming a mile away. The grappling element isn't the same as the Manuwa fight, as well. Manuwa feared the takedown whereas Gus had no fear of it. In this fight, Rumble will fear Gus' grappling a whole lot less and have some threat of his own (though, I see neither fighter having much success getting the other down).

Gus does have the talent to outbox Johnson and break him down over time (and that's the most likely outcome as far as I'm concerned), but I will say that Gustafsson isn't always completely airtight defensively or always in top form, and Johnson, as far as I'm concerned, is clearly the best boxer that Gus will have faced to date. I think Gustafsson will have to show more of the toughness that he showed in rounds 4 and 5 against Jones in order to come through. I don't think I see this as easy work for Gus, and we could see something of a war here. His toughness has been proven in the past, though, and I'd favour him in the category of stamina, as well, so I think he is certainly capable of doing well even if the fight goes to the trenches.

I like what you wrote here.
The only thing I'd add, is that Gus probably learned a lot from rounds 4&5 against Jon.
If he took heart, he will probably be able to take over the fight on those rounds.

Because AJ always had issues with STamina. And even if he improved a lot, from what I saw, he improved in conserving energy, not really improving his gas tank.

If Gus keeps his pace, he will tire AJ. but AJ will remain dangerous until the end, and Gus did tend to become more reckless while tired.

It should be a great fight though!!

I thought Nordic Viking chins were harder than diamonds according to Sherdog. Why is Gus running for?

If Gus can be severely rocked by the "weak" striking by Jones (according to Shertards) then Rumble should kill him if he can land.

Last edited:
Rumble knocked out Zombie Nog
Now he'll get knocked out by Gus

Seriously

Mir knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Lesnar in his next fight

Nelson knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Hunt in his next fight

Rumble fought the other Nog brother.

And Rumble humiliated Davis who subbed Gus. Gus couldn't even finish a declining Shogun while Jones made Shogun tap to strikes.

Back