Gustafsson on avoiding Rumble's punching power...

I think Rumble is a lot more dangerous for Gustafsson than Manuwa. Manuwa is physically gifted and not much more. Rumble, while certainly not a technical marvel, actually has some fundamentals and has shown some understanding and variation when setting his work up. Manuwa is all flash and power from the outside which is fine against strikers devoid of talent, but not against someone who actually has some defensive ability and can see the punches coming a mile away. The grappling element isn't the same as the Manuwa fight, as well. Manuwa feared the takedown whereas Gus had no fear of it. In this fight, Rumble will fear Gus' grappling a whole lot less and have some threat of his own (though, I see neither fighter having much success getting the other down).

Gus does have the talent to outbox Johnson and break him down over time (and that's the most likely outcome as far as I'm concerned), but I will say that Gustafsson isn't always completely airtight defensively or always in top form, and Johnson, as far as I'm concerned, is clearly the best boxer that Gus will have faced to date. I think Gustafsson will have to show more of the toughness that he showed in rounds 4 and 5 against Jones in order to come through. I don't think I see this as easy work for Gus, and we could see something of a war here. His toughness has been proven in the past, though, and I'd favour him in the category of stamina, as well, so I think he is certainly capable of doing well even if the fight goes to the trenches.

I see Rumble being a good bit more dangerous than Manuwa is too when you look at the fact that Rumble can actually wrestle and has huge power like Manuwa, both are very explosive fighters. It doesn't mean I'd favor him over Alex though. Gustafsson definitely doesn't have the best defense but it's coming along slowly but surely. Back when he fought Thiago Silva and Shogun it was much more porous than it is today. I agree that Rumble is the best boxer that Alex will have ever faced in regard to the basics/fundamentals. Manuwa's defense was never good and a lot of his offense is powerful and dangerous to his opponents but he doesn't set a lot of those haymakers up that he throws. Though he did try and set up a leaping left hook after landing a brutal leg kick on Gustafsson that knocked him off balance, but Alex was quick enough to dodge it. Jimi has a jab but he could use it much better than he's done.

I'm just hoping that Alex isn't trying to rely mostly on his speed and less about proper defensive technique, even though reaction time is a big part of that. So I'm assuming he's worked on his defense a good bit for this camp and will hopefully show some of it in their fight.

Rumble knocked out Zombie Nog
Now he'll get knocked out by Gus

Seriously

Mir knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Lesnar in his next fight

Nelson knocks out Nog, then gets knocked out by Hunt in his next fight

Gus fans take every chance they can to hype up Manuwa lol!

Yes, Jimmo's leg was tenderized and gave out. He couldn't continue.

That fight was a little over 2 years ago (the Shogun fight). In his last couple fights Alex has looked much better than he did in that performance.

The Jimmo win was far from impressive. Plus...it's Jimmo, who is hardly a top talent. Manuwa didn't look great against him until Jimmo got injured. Tenderized is a joke.

That fight was over 2 years ago, and it is to date by far the best win for Gus. You say in his last couple fights he's looked better...and then he got injured. He had a tough fight and lost against Jones (who isn't a very good striker yet still beat Gus in a kickboxing match), then fought a fringe guy and put him away as any other contender should (right after a bad eye poke, which is pretty ironic).

You say he's looked a lot better...how so? Please explain. He wrestled against a fringe top 15 guy for the first round and then finished him after a bad eye poke. Then he got injured. You don't improve much when you injure a knee (along with the ring rust), especially for a guy who likes to get on his bike when hit like Gus.

The main weakness of Gus is his lack of defense at striking distance. He's shown absolutely no reason to think this won't still be a problem when he faces the best striker of his career who has been on a tear, beating opponents better than Gus has ever beaten.

While Rumble is a powerful striker with good fundamentals, he has a pretty slow and flatfooted footwork which mainly consists of stalking and walking down his opponents. This is a style that doesn

It's a fight, nothing is predetermined. Rumble has a chance of hitting and KOing gus with a power punch, FACT. Will it happen? Nobody knows..

People are giving Gus too much credit. I love the guy because he is a warrior and no one can debate that but the reason he gave Jones such a challenge was largely because he is very well rounded while being just as big as him.

Obviously this isn't some profound new outlook on Gus first mentioned by me but I'm only writing this to remind people that Gus isn't some guarantee in this fight.

Anthony Johnson is obviously a whole different kind of monster than Manuwa is and people need to see that. He is a true fighter along with his athleticism at 205 and that makes him the Paul Williams (prime) of his weightclass at the moment. Its a fight every smart man would want to avoid.

The Jimmo win was far from impressive. Plus...it's Jimmo, who is hardly a top talent. Manuwa didn't look great against him until Jimmo got injured. Tenderized is a joke.

He jacked his leg badly which is why it gave out. It isn't the first time he's done that.

That fight was over 2 years ago, and it is to date by far the best win for Gus. You say in his last couple fights he's looked better...and then he got injured. He had a tough fight and lost against Jones (who isn't a very good striker yet still beat Gus in a kickboxing match), then fought a fringe guy and put him away as any other contender should (right after a bad eye poke, which is pretty ironic).

Jones is a good striker for his division. He's outstruck everyone he's fought but Gustafsson. He was kickboxing and Gustafsson was mostly boxing, and Jones still got beaten up badly. Jones with eight points of contact vs. two. And the bad eye poke bullshit is lame considering that it was not a bad eye poke at all, it was a light swipe. Manuwa said at the post-fight conference that it didn't even affect his performance. So, why should anybody listen to you thinking you know better than him?

You say he's looked a lot better...how so? Please explain. He wrestled against a fringe top 15 guy for the first round and then finished him after a bad eye poke. Then he got injured. You don't improve much when you injure a knee (along with the ring rust), especially for a guy who likes to get on his bike when hit like Gus.

Again, stop with the eye poke shit, it was a single swipe that didn't affect the outcome at all. His performance against Jones and against Manuwa (not eating a single haymaker flush or even clean at all) is certainly progress compared to the version of Alex that fought and beat Thiago Silva and Shogun. He may get on his bike a lot but he also stood toe to toe with Shogun on several occasions, banged it out and beat him up too. So there's that.

The main weakness of Gus is his lack of defense at striking distance. He's shown absolutely no reason to think this won't still be a problem when he faces the best striker of his career who has been on a tear, beating opponents better than Gus has ever beaten.

Defense at striking distance? It's called striking range and there's multiple ranges, not just one in MMA. Rumble beat a 40 year old dinosaur in Lil Nog so stop with the 'tear' shit. He beat Phil Davis but was also a horrible match up for the guy. He beat Arlovski, who has a glass chin, but couldn't put him away despite fighting up a weight class. Gustafsson's defense has improved over the years and all you have to do is watch his last two fights to see that. He controls range better than he used to and isn't making many of the major mistakes he'd made in the past, one of which I already covered that could've easily gotten him knocked out against Shogun. There's nobody in the game with even near perfect defense. Look at Aldo's last fight, he got beaten up by a wrestler with improved boxing. Machida and Weidman both took a lot of damage in their fight. Jones and DC took a good bit of damage, Anderson has been hit and knocked down and out in the Weidman fights (and prior to that a lot against Chael in the first fight). These guys have some of the very best defense in MMA, regardless. Your expectations seem a little too unrealistic at this level.

Can't wait till Gus KOs Rumble so his haters can stfu.

They'll just move on to their next hopeful to finish Gustafsson. Which, in this case, provided that he beats Rumble will be Jones again. Suddenly, things will be a ton different and once again Jones will easily take him down this time and feed him hellbows like he didn't get to do last time. They forget that Jon had to come back in the championship rounds because he was handily losing up until then.

They'll just move on to their next hopeful to finish Gustafsson. Which, in this case, provided that he beats Rumble will be Jones again. Suddenly, things will be a ton different and once again Jones will easily take him down this time and feed him hellbows like he didn't get to do last time. They forget that Jon had to come back in the championship rounds because he was handily losing up until then.

Yeah, I bet they'd discredit this win too, the guys saying Rumble will KO him.

Rumble sure is a dangerous match up for Gus.

Gus should take it if logic is respected, he is more technical, faster and Rumble tends to be kinda stiff ..
But the XFactor, in my opinion is that Gus takes a lot of shots, and that's not good news against Rumble who has almost similar reach and tons of KO power...

So it's basically a 60/40 match up in favor of Gus .

Jones is a good striker for his division. He's outstruck everyone he's fought but Gustafsson. He was kickboxing and Gustafsson was mostly boxing

And this is one of, if not THE reason that Rumble can give him trouble. Gus is far more 1 dimensional than Rumble has ever shown to be (despite the recent hilarious comments by Gus otherwise). If Jones can hit Gus over and over with kicks, Rumble can. Please tell me how Gus has improved his kick defense since then...

His performance against Jones and against Manuwa (not eating a single haymaker flush or even clean at all) is certainly progress compared to the version of Alex that fought and beat Thiago Silva and Shogun.

Or, it could be, possibly, just maybe Thiago Silva and Shogun are easily the best strikers Gus has faced. That's why he got hit. Manuwa may be a talented striker against the bottom half of the top 50, but he's never proved to be near top level...and Gus still chose to wrestle him.

Rumble beat a 40 year old dinosaur in Lil Nog

That beat down is more impressive than any win that Gus has, but please, but go on...

He beat Phil Davis but was also a horrible match up for the guy. He beat Arlovski, who has a glass chin, but couldn't put him away despite fighting up a weight class. Gustafsson's defense has improved over the years and all you have to do is watch his last two fights to see that. He controls range better than he used to and isn't making many of the major mistakes he'd made in the past, one of which I already covered that could've easily gotten him knocked out against Shogun.

He beat Phil Davis, who 'beat' (at least was somewhat competitive with) Machida, who had the exact same game plan that Rumble did against Davis. Like it or not, Davis hasn't been beaten down like that striking-wise EVER. And of course, Davis has that win over your boy Gus who didn't land one single significant strike in the fight before Gus lost.

You say Gus has improved his defense...HOW?? He faced an inferior striker in Jones, and still lost in an almost exclusively stand up match. Then he faced a very fringe guy and chose to wrestle him when they were fresh. Then he got injured. I'm not seeing any vast improvements (because they aren't shown!).

Unless you train with Gus, you're just guessing. I can guess that Rumble has improved his footwork to Dominick Cruz levels...just don't ask me to prove it or show substantial evidence :rolleyes:

There's nobody in the game with even near perfect defense. Look at Aldo's last fight, he got beaten up by a wrestler with improved boxing. Machida and Weidman both took a lot of damage in their fight. Jones and DC took a good bit of damage, Anderson has been hit and knocked down and out in the Weidman fights (and prior to that a lot against Chael in the first fight). These guys have some of the very best defense in MMA, regardless. Your expectations seem a little too unrealistic at this level.

Here's where you just get weird...I hope you were drinking before you wrote this.

I guess I'll try to explain it to you...you see, when it comes to athletic competitions, some athletes are more adept at skills than others. And when it comes to individuals competing against one another, sometimes the skill levels are higher than other matches.

Aldo vs. Mendes is a very high level skill fight on both sides. Same with Machida and Weidman, and Jones vs DC, and Anderson vs Weidman too!

However, Gus vs Thiago Silva, or hobbled Shogun, do not belong anywhere near that group of fights. Gus is a great talent, and I enjoy his fights. But his oppenents (aside from Jones, who beat him in a standup fight, and isn't as good a striker as Rumble, which is what we're talking about in case you forgot) aren't that great.

So if you want to make comparisons, maybe you should look more at a different striker vs wrestler fight...maybe something more pertinent to the discussion like...Rumble vs Davis? Hey, Davis even beat Gus! Would you look at that...

To anyone bringing up Davis as a like opponent and using that to bolster a case for Rumble..a little bit of info.

When Gus lost to Phil, AJ was in the middle of a year and a half layoff following a choke loss to Koscheck.

Moral of the story? Things change. Fighters improve, 4 years of a gifted athlete dedicating their life to martial arts is a long, long while.

And this is one of, if not THE reason that Rumble can give him trouble. Gus is far more 1 dimensional than Rumble has ever shown to be (despite the recent hilarious comments by Gus otherwise). If Jones can hit Gus over and over with kicks, Rumble can. Please tell me how Gus has improved his kick defense since then...

Gustafsson is more versatile than Rumble is, both in his usage of wrestling and striking diversity together. It isn't even debatable. He may not be much more versatile but he's more versatile. Who knows if his kicking defense is better but I don't see Rumble easily landing a head kick on a 6'5 target either. There's quite a height difference and he's seen that weapon of Rumble's already (and mentioned it).

Or, it could be, possibly, just maybe Thiago Silva and Shogun are easily the best strikers Gus has faced. That's why he got hit. Manuwa may be a talented striker against the bottom half of the top 50, but he's never proved to be near top level...and Gus still chose to wrestle him.

Gustafsson wrestled him for a bit, yeah. So what? This is MMA. Manuwa was still outstruck and got knocked out. It wasn't because of the eye poke either. He got caught with a right hook while exiting after missing a big overhand right, backed up to the fence and teed off on.

He beat Phil Davis, who 'beat' (at least was somewhat competitive with) Machida, who had the exact same game plan that Rumble did against Davis. Like it or not, Davis hasn't been beaten down like that striking-wise EVER. And of course, Davis has that win over your boy Gus who didn't land one single significant strike in the fight before Gus lost.

In a fight a half decade ago while Gustafsson was a part-time fighter. In a fight that was basically just a wrestling match. Great argument.

You say Gus has improved his defense...HOW?? He faced an inferior striker in Jones, and still lost in an almost exclusively stand up match. Then he faced a very fringe guy and chose to wrestle him when they were fresh. Then he got injured. I'm not seeing any vast improvements (because they aren't shown!).

You don't even know what RANGE is so I'm not going to bother trying to help you with the finer points of it all. Again, I gave two reasons already. Go back and read up. And what does getting injured have to do with any deficiencies in his striking? LOL. You're trolling because you can't possibly be this dumb.
Unless you train with Gus, you're just guessing. I can guess that Rumble has improved his footwork to Dominick Cruz levels...just don't ask me to prove it or show substantial evidence :rolleyes:

I've seen footage of Gus so I don't need to train with him. Not that it revealed anything noteworthy apart from the usual drilling and heavy bag + mitt work. When I say "think" or "hoping" that means it's speculative.
Here's where you just get weird...I hope you were drinking before you wrote this.

I guess I'll try to explain it to you...you see, when it comes to athletic competitions, some athletes are more adept at skills than others. And when it comes to individuals competing against one another, sometimes the skill levels are higher than other matches.

You just wrote a whole lot of nothing and it explained nothing. I think it's safe to say that I know a little bit more than you at this stage. You likely got banned from a previous account that had a few hundred posts and are back on your white belt account. Well, we all have to start somewhere. At least now you know what 'range' is though. :icon_lol: In fact, check into clinch range, boxing range and kicking range. You'll be a student of the game in no time my man.

Aldo vs. Mendes is a very high level skill fight on both sides. Same with Machida and Weidman, and Jones vs DC, and Anderson vs Weidman too!

And Jones vs. Gustafsson, despite what you claim about Jones being a shit striker. If that was the case then he wouldn't have dropped Machida and outstruck all of his competition, except Gustafsson himself (I value damage and significant strikes to the head and body more, don't know about you).

However, Gus vs Thiago Silva, or hobbled Shogun, do not belong anywhere near that group of fights. Gus is a great talent, and I enjoy his fights. But his oppenents (aside from Jones, who beat him in a standup fight, and isn't as good a striker as Rumble, which is what we're talking about in case you forgot) aren't that great.

And Gustafsson still outstruck both Thiago and Shogun. He dropped Thiago in the first half minute of the fight. He dropped Shogun early in their fight as well. Believe what you want but don't think Rumble has a great chance, he has a puncher's chance at best.

So if you want to make comparisons, maybe you should look more at a different striker vs wrestler fight...maybe something more pertinent to the discussion like...Rumble vs Davis? Hey, Davis even beat Gus! Would you look at that...

Again, referencing a fight that happened 5 years ago while Gustafsson was a part-time fighter working as a bouncer. Hmmm. Rumble lost to a Lightweight bro. :icon_lol: He then lost to a Welterweight and a Middleweight. Losing to Rich Clementi and Koscheck is a bit embarrassing, don't you think? And Davis was a gift match up for Rumble and everybody knew it ahead of time. Davis has never been a good striker and even his takedowns aren't great. When Gus fought him back then he stuffed him 4 or 5 times before he finally got the takedown he needed to submit him.

Gustafsson is more versatile than Rumble is, both in his usage of wrestling and striking diversity together. It isn't even debatable. He may not be much more versatile but he's more versatile.

It's actually very debatable! And easily winnable for a Rumble fan. The fact that you think it isn't, just shows your bias :icon_lol:

Especially after you specifically said that Jones won the stand up because he had more striking options that Gus did...I could quote you from just a couple posts ago, but I hope you're not that fickle just yet.

As for wrestling, Rumble has won plenty of fights mixing takedowns. He has the background and wrestling credentials that Gus of course hasn't. Rumble has proven EXTREMELY hard to take down, especially at his natural weight these last few fights against proven wrestlers, and even at heavyweight against better grapplers than Gus.

Gus clearly wants to be a striker, and has never shown anything other than a sporadic takedown with no significant top game. But I'm sure you'll still reference fights where Rumble was cutting to the point of death.

The usage of wrestling by Gus will not be a factor against Rumble. If he can stop Davis and Rosholt and Arlovski, it won't be much of an issue. Gus could hit a random trip or 10 second thing like he did against Jones, but it's much more likely Rumble would do it to Gus.ff

Gus is a boxer with decent takedown defense. That's what he brings to the table. He's really fucking good at it...but that's it. If you can take him down, or beat him standing (like Jones did), he has no answer. It's not like he's going to take you down and submit you or pound you out, haha.

Who knows if his kicking defense is better but I don't see Rumble easily landing a head kick on a 6'5 target either. There's quite a height difference and he's seen that weapon of Rumble's already (and mentioned it).

That's right, no one knows! So how about we look at his actual fights, and take something from it. Radical, I know. But this CRAZY method usually proves true.

Rumble fought AA, who has very similar dimensions to Gus. Rumble didn't have any problem with the range (OMG, semantics might not work for you this post!!! haha). So based on the actual evidence we both have, the reach won't be an issue.

Gustafsson wrestled him for a bit, yeah. So what? This is MMA. Manuwa was still outstruck and got knocked out. It wasn't because of the eye poke either. He got caught with a right hook while exiting after missing a big overhand right, backed up to the fence and teed off on.

You completely missed the point (or most likely, AVOIDED it) that Gus got hit hard by the best strikers he has faced, every time...because he has poor striking defense!!

Meaning, it isn't his defense that has improved, it's just that he wrestled his last good striker instead of standing with him. That was my point, and still is. He has shown ZERO improvement in striking defense, and you have no reason to think he has.

I bet he can't wrestle Rumble. And Rumble is the best striker he has ever faced...so yeah, problems for Gus.

You don't even know what RANGE is so I'm not going to bother trying to help you with the finer points of it all. Again, I gave two reasons already. Go back and read up. And what does getting injured have to do with any deficiencies in his striking? LOL. You're trolling because you can't possibly be this dumb.

This is just sad :-( I hope you were just trying to get a rise out of me. Distance and Range are actually synonyms. I'm not ever going to act like I'm some badass on Sherdog, because it's so ridiculous, but I've trained and fought like most others have. I was having fun debating you until you got this stupid...

I've seen footage of Gus so I don't need to train with him. Not that it revealed anything noteworthy apart from the usual drilling and heavy bag + mitt work. When I say "think" or "hoping" that means it's speculative.

OMG that's hilarious...Hey, I just watched a UFC insider show where I saw one of my favorite fighters wrestling!!! Now I know he's sooo much better at wrestling!! C'mon dude, there was like a 2 minute segment on it!!! Haha, wow...

You just wrote a whole lot of nothing and it explained nothing. I think it's safe to say that I know a little bit more than you at this stage. You likely got banned from a previous account that had a few hundred posts and are back on your white belt account. Well, we all have to start somewhere. At least now you know what 'range' is though. :icon_lol: In fact, check into clinch range, boxing range and kicking range. You'll be a student of the game in no time my man.

I've never been banned, because I very rarely post. It takes a good amount of bullshit, parading as actual knowledge, to get me to respond. So congratulations, your tedious bullshit got a response, just because it was pretty damn stupid, and I just started my vacation from my business.

And Jones vs. Gustafsson, despite what you claim about Jones being a shit striker. If that was the case then he wouldn't have dropped Machida and outstruck all of his competition, except Gustafsson himself (I value damage and significant strikes to the head and body more, don't know about you).

Of course you think Gus beat Jones, correct?. I'm just curious from talking to other Gus nuthuggers, how do you see Gus improving on his first fight with Jones, vs what Jones could improve on for a second fight? Based on your amazing psychic skills to gauge improvements without actually seeing them in fights, I'm very interested to here what you have to say how a second fight between them would go.

And Gustafsson still outstruck both Thiago and Shogun. He dropped Thiago in the first half minute of the fight. He dropped Shogun early in their fight as well. Believe what you want but don't think Rumble has a great chance, he has a puncher's chance at best.

He did outstrike them. After taking many haymakers to the face, and looking pretty awkward doing so. If shot Shogun can do it, Rumble can do it, and finish him. Will it happen? I don't think so. I have Gus by point fighting decision. But saying Gus is leagues above Rumble is just ridiculous. And saying Rumble couldn't catch Gus is even stupider.

Again, referencing a fight that happened 5 years ago while Gustafsson was a part-time fighter working as a bouncer. Hmmm. Rumble lost to a Lightweight bro. :icon_lol: He then lost to a Welterweight and a Middleweight. Losing to Rich Clementi and Koscheck is a bit embarrassing, don't you think? And Davis was a gift match up for Rumble and everybody knew it ahead of time. Davis has never been a good striker and even his takedowns aren't great. When Gus fought him back then he stuffed him 4 or 5 times before he finally got the takedown he needed to submit him.

I'm referencing a common opponent. Obviously, you can't do the same without losing your point. That is all. I can also reference top wins at LHW, and even HW. Would you like to compare those? Rumble has more of those as well, and more recently. And, he hasn't lost time to a knee injury, like your boy has.

All I'm saying is, you are DRASTICALLY over-looking Rumble. He is much more proven, is a better striker than guys how have already hit Gus hard. If Gus does as Gus has always done, he could very easily be in trouble.

Rumble can hit Gus. You have absolutely no reason to think he won't, aside from
'reading' and guessing that he 'might' keep his hands up more. All the excuses you are making for Gus's past performances are just stupid. Just stop, for yours and Gus's sake.

Alex' footwork & movement >>> Rumble's

This will be most significant factor of the fight.

Back