Gustaffson

Reserving judgment on a Gus/Jones rematch until I see how Gus handles Rumble.

Because after Lawler finishing 2014 as a champion, I wouldn't be shocked if Rumble does the same.

Even today Gustafsson would get taken down by Davis and probably submitted. Rumble wrecked Davis with ease.

If you think Rumble is just hype after that performance, you will be surprised come January 24.

I was favoring Jones in a rematch with Gus though I did think Gus took the first 3 rounds in the first fight. But after the DC fight, I don't see how Jones has anything new for Gus. I think Gus is going to brutalize Jones.

Yep.

Interesting. I had the exact opposite reaction. Jones performance against Cormier has made me lean way more towards Gus in the rematch.

Jones was getting hit, bullied and pressured a bit too easily in the first 3 rounds. With that reach advantage he wasn't able to do as much as I thought he would.

If Gus comes out as the aggressor and uses his boxing to keep Jon moving backwards I can see Jon getting into a world of trouble.

Smart man. To be perfectly honest, despite being a huge Gustafsson fan, even when I take my blinders off I still come to this same conclusion after having watched Jones fight Cormier. Jones, if anything, showed regression and not improvement. Some of his own fans created a thread and mentioned it. Likely because he neglected his striking a little in favor of additional wrestling during his camp but neither looked 'great'. Nothing that I saw from either fighter tonight tells me they'll be able to handle the Gustafsson of today. The Rumble fight though could change my mind, though I'm not betting on it.

This fight is going to be interesting.

1. Will Jones try to defend his ego and stand? He's picked apart every opponent at their game.

2. Is Gus' cardio improved? Gus arguably took the first 3 rounds against JJ, he then clearly gassed (even putting his hand on his hip in round 5). It was Gus' first time in the championship rounds. It'll be quite some time since his last fight with Jon, did he up his cardio?

3. How will JJ's cardio hold up? The only dogfights JJ has been in were DC and Gus, but that was only for the first 3 rounds. He was getting beat up in the beginning of both fights (losing 4, arguably 5, of those six rounds) After that, it was a visibly exhausted Jones just taking advantage of even more exhausted Gus and DC. Can he win championship rounds against a better conditioned Gus?

4. How much has Gus improved? Gus' improvement from fight to fight is better than any fighter I've ever seen. The improvements from the Davis fight to Jones was insane. How much has he grown over the past year (it'll be almost 2 years once this fight happens, if he beats Rumble).

It's going to be interesting.

Can't wait for this.

The determining factor in this fight is gonna be whether Jones decides to straight up wrestle or straight up strike. Pure striking eeked him the win while wrestling made him lose A LOT of energy so trying to take down someone who is more diligent at sprawling than R3 at armbars might be a lost cause. On the other hand if he decides to wrestle, he just might want to dedicate his whole strategy to takedowns since Gus won't be taken down by a casual effort. I'll bet anything Phil Davis attacks Gus with takedowns while Gus is sleeping just to make sprawling more of an instinct than breathing.

This fight is going to be interesting.

1. Will Jones try to defend his ego and stand? He's picked apart every opponent at their game.

2. Is Gus' cardio improved? Gus arguably took the first 3 rounds against JJ, he then clearly gassed (even putting his hand on his hip in round 5). It was Gus' first time in the championship rounds. It'll be quite some time since his last fight with Jon, did he up his cardio?

3. How will JJ's cardio hold up? The only dogfights JJ has been in were DC and Gus, but that was only for the first 3 rounds. He was getting beat up in the beginning of both fights (losing 4, arguably 5, of those six rounds) After that, it was a visibly exhausted Jones just taking advantage of even more exhausted Gus and DC. Can he win championship rounds against a better conditioned Gus?

4. How much has Gus improved? Gus' improvement from fight to fight is better than any fighter I've ever seen. The improvements from the Davis fight to Jones was insane. How much has he grown over the past year (it'll be almost 2 years once this fight happens, if he beats Rumble).

It's going to be interesting.
Hands on his hips, hahaha. Being tired is not the same as gas.

Obviously both fighers was equally tired afters a five round non stop action fight.

Jones, if anything, showed regression and not improvement.

I agree he does seem to have plateaued. Almost becoming predictably unpredictable in his striking as well.

Gus already showed that Jones couldn't ragdoll him. So what choice will Jon have in the rematch?

That's right. Jump off the DC bandwagon onto the Gus one. Even though Jones already beat Gus.

Hands on his hips, hahaha. Being tired is not the same as gas.

Obviously both fighers was equally tired afters a five round non stop action fight.

Gus was clearly more than tired. I mean, there's no shame in that. But the dude was completely drained. The guy put his hands on his hips during the middle of the 5th round, he was completely exhausted.

Gustafsson's performance looks even more amazing after this fight, considering he arguably beat Jones' ass. Definitely got Gus in the rematch, assuming he beats Johnson.

Gus was clearly more than tired. I mean, there's no shame in that. But the dude was completely drained. The guy put his hands on his hips during the middle of the 5th round, he was completely exhausted.

Jones was still the one sent to the hospital and most definitely the one who got way more beat up of the two.

Yep.

Smart man. To be perfectly honest, despite being a huge Gustafsson fan, even when I take my blinders off I still come to this same conclusion after having watched Jones fight Cormier. Jones, if anything, showed regression and not improvement. Some of his own fans created a thread and mentioned it. Likely because he neglected his striking a little in favor of additional wrestling during his camp but neither looked 'great'. Nothing that I saw from either fighter tonight tells me they'll be able to handle the Gustafsson of today. The Rumble fight though could change my mind, though I'm not betting on it.
Funny, considering DC himself said Jones was countering while backing up and he never did that before. But no, he regressed, not improved.

Gus should win easily: he can box, he can defend takedowns, he has footwork, size, power, speed.

Jones has...nothing. He can't take Alex down and his striking consists of goofy spins and knee pushes.

Yet, somehow, Jones will win the fight. For sure. It's crazy.

Even today Gustafsson would get taken down by Davis and probably submitted. Rumble wrecked Davis with ease.

If you think Rumble is just hype after that performance, you will be surprised come January 24.

I doubt it.
Gus trains wrestling with Davis and has progressed a lot in a short amount of time.
Gus is the real deal and I'm sure Jones probable wants Rumble to win JUST so he doesn't have to fight Gus again.

Jones is great but Gus is one of the only LHW's I can think of who can equal and beat him.

Gustafsson's performance looks even more amazing after this fight, considering he arguably beat Jones' ass. Definitely got Gus in the rematch, assuming he beats Johnson.
Can you elaborate? I'm curious as to why you say that?

Jones was still the one sent to the hospital and most definitely the one who got way more beat up of the two.

Gus was sent to the hospital too. And despite all that, Jones still won.

By Dana so it wouldn't be weird that the loser was at the press conference and not the winner. We all saw the backstage footage.

Dana has no say in who goes to the hospital. The doctors do.

Dana has no say in who goes to the hospital. The doctors do.

Dana suggested that Gus go, Gus said he's fine to go the press conference, Dana said, nah don't worry about it, as if he was being nice to Gus. Gus was not forced to skip the press conference.

Back