Gus needs to fight at HW

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Remember everyone, Skyscraper retired and is now booked in for a fight soon. Happens all the time. Gus is one of the best fighters STILL, he just had a few hiccups there... we'll call it that. Obviously, it's his life and he can do what he wants. I just feel he will get the itch again and he should move up in weight whenever he does.

BTW, I fully support the unretirement of guys like Gus, as for Manuwa and the likes, don't bother coming back as you will probably just be on the end of some highlight KO losses. He recently said on Helwani he has the itch to return... yeah don't, my man.

Lot of good, winnable fights for Gus at HW. He has nice movement and boxing to avoid the big plodding shots that many HWs rely on. Maybe Gus vs Volkov? That's a scrap.

I miss the Mauler, and the HW division could use an easy on the eye boxer.

Might be worth a shot if he decides to come back, but he hasn’t looked like the same fighter in his last 2 fights and I questioned his mentality in the Jones fight, although I think he’s always been a bit overrated.

Gus would toy with one-dimensional Ngannou and TKO him late

Maybe I'm an idiot but outwith Ngannou bumrush I could see Gus controlling that fight. Fanboy glasses on though.
It sounds crazy at first but if the best version of Gus fought a really smart fight then I could see it happening.

Ngannou has 3 wins since the Derrick Lewis fight, but he didn’t really prove much to me that I didn’t already know about him. He’s still the same guy that relies on countering his opponents to land his big shots and he struggles to lead with punches. We also have no idea if his cardio and grappling have improved.

I would expect Ngannou to hit him with something nasty and end the fight, especially 2019 Gus, but a good, responsible boxer could probably make Ngannou look terrible. You just can’t afford to get hit by him.

Maybe I'm an idiot but outwith Ngannou bumrush I could see Gus controlling that fight. Fanboy glasses on though.
558911.jpg

I'd love to see Gus get smashed, KOd & cry again.

Sign me up.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do at HW. He has a frame that looks like it could bulk up a fair bit without losing tons of speed.

To start, I'd match him up with someone lower in the ranks, like Ivanov.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do at HW. He has a frame that looks like it could bulk up a fair bit without losing tons of speed.

To start, I'd match him up with someone lower in the ranks, like Ivanov.
Yeah Gus would merk pillow fist Blagoy. Guy is so bad.

Would be interesting to see Gus not have the body of a lanky teenager.

Yeah Gus would merk pillow fist Blagoy. Guy is so bad.
I think so too, but it would be a good place to start before facing the more dangerous HWs.

After that, maybe Volkov or JDS could prove decent matchups.

Gus shouldn't have accepted a fight with a known PED cheater, who the UFC had to move fking states to keep the event on.

Thought he'd "take the high road" and win the moral victory and he ended up getting embarrassed.

Gus shouldn't have accepted a fight with a known PED cheater, who the UFC had to move fking states to keep the event on.

Thought he'd "take the high road" and win the moral victory and he ended up getting embarrassed.
Yeah he could have shown Dana and Co up big time there.

Gus: i'm retiring from MMA
OP: Gus needs to fight at HW

Gus looked small, slow and out of shape in his last 2 LHW fights

Gus vs black beast

Lewis was getting destroyed by Volkov until Volkov showed one of the worst fight IQs ever.

I actually like that. Wouldn’t be champ but there are good fights. I bet he could get up near the top five, maybe even break into it with the right match ups

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back