Gus is a false hope

MikeyLan

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I really believe Cormier had the best shot at dethroning Jones at LHW. The first Gus fight was a case of Jones believing his own hype and underestimating his opponent. If they fight again and Jones prepares like he did against Cormier, Jones will win more easily than he did against Cormier. Outside of AJ landing a KO punch early, I don't see anyone at LHW beating Jones after tonight. For the record I thought Gus won the first fight (emphasis on FIGHT), but it was a flash in the pan.

Remember GSP-BJ 1? Close fight where BJ put a hurting on GSP and arguably won the fight (emphasis on FIGHT). That made thousands of fans think BJ had a real chance in the rematch. Remember the actual rematch?

Last edited:
I really believe Cormier had the best shot at dethroning Jones at LHW. The first Gus fight was a case of Jones believing his own hype and underestimating his opponent. If they fight again and Jones prepares like he did against Cormier, Jones will win more easily than he did against Cormier. Outside of AJ landing a KO punch early, I don't see anyone at LHW beating Jones after tonight. For the record I thought Gus won the first fight (emphasis on FIGHT), but it was a flash in the pan.

I agree. He just got lucky for 25 minutes is all. :redface: Jon was so unprepared not knowing that he'd be facing a boxer with good TDD!!

:rolleyes:

It was not a flash in the pan. It was an example of Jones fighting without his normal physical advantages (and losing).

Trust, it will happen again if Gus gets past Rumble.

I agree. He just got lucky for 25 minutes is all. :redface: Jon was so unprepared not knowing that he'd be facing a boxer with good TDD!!

:rolleyes:

The way you post about that fight, you'd think Jones didn't beat Gus standing.

You should really look up what the definition of delusional is.

:redface:

This is true. Gus had his success because he mixed in the threat of the takedown and Jon wasn't prepared.

However, preparing for Cormier upped Jon's wrestling 100 fold. Jon is going to be a LOT harder to beat now.

Also, Jon is going to know how to prepare for Gus this time.

#hopewecanbelievein

d3f34Y6.jpg

Man, Jones haters are going to be all sorts of bent out of shape if Rumble beats Gus.

But then they'll just jump on the Humble wagon.

Gus is what people cling to when they can't stand seeing Bones smash everyone, because that fight was surprisingly close. Jones will win again if Gus gets past Rumble.

I agree, DC was our only hope. I think jones beats Gus (if he evens gets by rumble)...

It was not a flash in the pan. It was an example of Jones fighting without his normal physical advantages (and losing).

Trust, it will happen again if Gus gets past Rumble.

No, it won't. And Gus won't even get past Rumble.

Gus had the element of surprise in the first fight due to Jones never having fought him before. Jones now knows what Gus brings to the table. Jones will most likely take the rematch.

You have a funny definition of "outstruck". All of the recounts done state otherwise. In fact, they favor Gus in significant strikes. Even in the 5th round, Gus still outlanded Jones in total strikes that round, and he was still rocked from the end of the previous round. Oh, and damage-wise, Jon did more damage in a single round (the 4th) with that elbow while Gustafsson totaled him in total damage accumulated. Gus did more total damage, outgrappled and outstruck him. Your "facts" are never there and I'm still waiting for you to prove that JoJo never trained any wrestling at all going into the Gus fight. :icon_lol: :wink:

While Jones did beat Gus standing, it literally came down to a magic elbow and judges giving more value to Jones' low kicks than Gus' head punches.

The delusional thing works both ways here since you seemingly refuse to acknowledge how close it was.

I'm glad OP watched Jones train for both fights and can confirm that Jones took it easy against Gus. Nice to have it all cleared up.

You have a funny definition of "outstruck".

Where did I say outstruck?

You are so emotional right now that it is borderline hilarious.

Jones beat Gus standing.

Deal with it.

:cool:

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Heard that before Gus put a beating on Jones

I'm glad OP watched Jones train for both fights and can confirm that Jones took it easy against Gus. Nice to have it all cleared up.

Well, get this. The 'new' thing (fad?) is them now saying that Jon trained 0% wrestling going into the Gustafsson fight. Can they actually prove that? Of course not, and they're not trying to, they just want to claim it and hope you don't ask.

You guys always show you dont know shit about fighting.
stop talk stupid shit cause you getting exposed

Back