Gun to your head: Cerrone vs Tony

Cerrone.

Tony's recent history gives me flashes of Filho vs Sonnen.

Tony via volume, pressure and pace. Its too much for Cowboy who likes space to pick his shots.

Ferguson via pressure and punches to the face

I'm going with Cerrone. Just have a gut feeling.

Tony's pressure will be a problem, especially given how long he is. And Tony's pace wins him a lot of fights.

That said, Tony is extremely easy to hit, can be hurt, has mediocre footwork, and is terrible and cutting off the cage. Cerrone is great when he can get his combos off, has developed a pretty strong left hand (both hooks and jabs), and is great and punishing retreats with kicks. The fact that Cerrone also has great intercepting knees and mixes in high kicks fluidly helps a ton. Tony drops his hands all the time and really doesn't move that well.

I think Cerrone's wrestling is underrated here too. Tony's TDD isn't where you'd expect a wrestler's to typically be and he attacks in a straight line. Cerrone has landed his double on a lot of fighters at both LW and WW and his favourite set up for it lately is a level change when a fighter comes straight at him. That does a lot for mitigating Tony's pressure.

I think Cerrone catches him and finishes him. You can only block with your chin for so long before someone lights you up.

50/50... love this fight. On the ground and in the stand up it will be fireworks.
Cerrone struggles against boxers
Tonys boxing is aight.

lol not even a difficult question for it to be "gun to head"

Tony.

Tony will come forward hard, weather a storm, perhaps get stunned by a hard jab, then press forward relentlessly landing shots until Cowboi wilts. 2nd or 3rd round guillotine after taking a few good shots then out landing Donald.

Back