GSP's strategy against Diaz

deepestBlue

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you think Zahabi/Jackson planning for the fight?
I think the srategy will be similar to Condits marathon strategy. But with the mandatory takedown in the last 60 seconds of course. If GSP feels save on the ground with Diaz in the first 2-3 rounds he will go down earlier in the later rounds i guess.

A lot of kicks and dirty boxing in the clinch against the cage. Wear him down for 2-3 rounds, take his spirit and will to fight, then put him on his back for the remaining rounds and try to pound him out.

GSP is going to have a tough fight on the feet and on the ground

Wall N Stall is his best option (I'm not calling him a staller GSP fans don't attack)

I was asking myself the same question just a few minutes ago. It seems like he can stand or take it to the ground if he chooses. There is probably the same amount of risk in either position. Nick could catch him with a sub on the ground or catch him with a shot standing. Although he is more of a volume puncher when it comes to hurting people.

What do you think Zahabi/Jackson planning for the fight?
I think the srategy will be similar to Condits marathon strategy. But with the mandatory takedown in the last 60 seconds of course. If GSP feels save on the ground with Diaz in the first 2-3 rounds he will go down earlier in the later rounds i guess.

Knowing GSP he'll probably just throw caution to the wind and be all, "Let me bang, bro."

I just wonder because I saw some 'GSP will finish, he's pissed' threads lately. that won't happen with his "I exploit the weaknesses of my openents" strategy.

Mix strikes and takedowns like Bendo did. Good top control + solid ground and pound. On the feet, expect a lot of kicks and of course dat jab.

Kick's gameplan will actually make it either an interesting fight or a disapointing fight. If Nick is very mindful of his defensive game, mindful of the TD and GSP's GnP, it will be a lackluster 50-45.

If Nick goes for broke because he KNOWS that GSP will take him down anyway and is looking for subs all night long while on his back even though it means leaving hinmself open to savage GnP and GSP improving his position, then it will be awesome, and we might either see GSP win like 50-43, FINISH Diaz....or Diaz pull the upset after catching GSP!

Knowing GSP he'll probably just throw caution to the wind and be all, "Let me bang, bro."

I could see this happening. Do you think he might flick Nick off during the match and yell "come at me bro".

GSP is better at throwing straight punches from range than Condit, he will follow a similar game plan that Condit did when the fight is standing except GSP will hit Diaz with more stiff punches and he will do more damage with powerful inside leg kicks instead of Condit's outside leg kicks that he threw with little power because he was using his lead leg.

GSP's safest route in this fight is to keep it standing. GSP will easily outstrike Nick

Stay on the outside, box combos ending with a kick. Counter with a superman jab and then takedown. I think it will be very similar to the condit fight, but GSP won't be sloppy once he is on top, Diaz is a beast on the ground, so no can-openers for GSP this time lol

I could see this happening. Do you think he might flick Nick off during the match and yell "come at me bro".

This would make a great UFC drinking game. You take a shot every time GSP shoots. If he finishes Diaz, you finish the bottle. If he flips Diaz off and then finishes him, you finish the bottle and then break it over your own head.

Back