GSP's strategy against Diaz

So is being under GSP while he's beating the shit out of you.

idk

i feel like GSP would have a safer game plan than to take Diaz down. For the shields fight, I really thought GSP was gonna GnP Shields. Didnt realize GSP was brushing on his standup and respecting shields ground game

GSP had no problem with BJ's ground game and he is better, for one round, than Diaz on the ground.
Diaz's only chance of winning is a submission and that isn't going to be easy when you are being smothered and overpowered. I suspect George will pepper him with a jab, take him down when he wants to and most certainly if he is ever losing in the stand up. Nick is overrated. His record was padded in Strikeforce with 2nd rate fighters and beating BJ now at WW doesn't mean so much. BJ hasn't beat anyone in 3 years except a well past his date Hughes. This will not be a close fight. GSP will be beaten when he gets tagged by a hard shot, he has a mediocre chin and that is his weakness. It will take a very slick submission to get him and I don't think Nick has the absolute top notch JJ it will take. He'd have to rock him on the feet with a bunch of shots and GSP get sloppy after the take down.

I agree with this
Nick is no where near as strong as gsp hes gonna be in a lot of trouble on his back imo

He will take some clues from Bendo I'm sure.

Mostly, it wont be Takedown 'n Topcontrol Mania as some people think. GSP wont mess with Diaz' guard unnecessarily. GSP will stay out of Diaz' range and use legkicks on his feet. He'll probably try to grapple and dirtybox against the cage too.

Takedowns rather towards the end of the round as someone else already pointed out. Also as somewhat of a plan B - if Diaz gets things going on the feet, GSP still has this rocksolid option of regaining control via TD and top control.

I keep seeing people talk about GSP employing Condit's strategy. That ain't happening. No way GSP backs up for 20+ minutes of the fight. I don't think GSP is overly concerned with getting subbed, so I expect to see Diaz on his back early and often. Only way this doesn't happen is if GSP feels he has the edge standing in which case we'll see a lot of jabs and kicks with a takedown here and there.

It's going to be to pump the jab in Diaz's face and batter Nick's legs with kicks. GSP is going to want to keep the range.

Mix in a takedown or two per round and I think that will be the strategy.

He knows Diaz is the going to push the pace so he is going to want to control the pace either by takedowns or counter striking.

What I am interested in is if Nick Diaz is going to work hardcore on his takedown defense and try to stay on his feet or work on his jiu jitsu so he can be ready when GSP takes him to the ground and try to out grapple GSP.

idk

i feel like GSP would have a safer game plan than to take Diaz down. For the shields fight, I really thought GSP was gonna GnP Shields. Didnt realize GSP was brushing on his standup and respecting shields ground game

GSP is a smart fighter. Shields only strength is his ground game, and GSP is much better on his feet. So why would he go to the ground? It's a smart thing to do to try to give yourself as big as an advantage as you can.

The only thing Diaz could beat GSP at is a game of around the world.

edit: Okay. Around the World where I come from is a game where when you are smoking pot, you take a hit, and hold it in until the pipe/joint completes the circle back to you, NOT THE DEFINITION ON URBAN DICTIONARY

conservative jabbing and take diaz down near the end of the rd

working in diazs guard is really risky

images

i24648_DiazCyborg1.gif

yes - very impressive against gassed, middle-tier strikers - everybody else not so much - unless st pierre literally falls asleep on top of diaz don't expect a sub

He will outstrike him, outgrapple him, and bully and dominate him the exact same way that Benson bullied and dominated his brother Nate

conservative jabbing and take diaz down near the end of the rd

working in diazs guard is really risky

images

i24648_DiazCyborg1.gif

LOL St Pierre is no Gomi or no middle tier striker with size disadvantage and suspect groundgame.

GSP trained with both Braulio Estima and Roger Gracie who are leagues above Diaz as far as BJJ goes.
Diaz ducked out from a grappling showmatch with Estima

LOL St Pierre is no Gomi or no middle tier striker with size disadvantage and suspect groundgame.

GSP trained with both Braulio Estima and Roger Gracie who are leagues above Diaz as far as BJJ goes.
Diaz ducked out from a grappling showmatch with Estima

and he ducked a fight with GSP.

Back