• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

News GSP reminds Usman to stay focused: "There’s a lot of guys that can beat Usman"

Georges St-Pierre knows better than anyone else in MMA history what it’s like to sit atop the welterweight division. Currently occupying the throne in the UFC is none other than Kamaru Usman.

Widely regarded as not just the greatest fighter of all time at welterweight, but the greatest fighter of all-time overall, St-Pierre’s lone competition in that discussion over recent years has been the continually impressive Usman. “The Nigerian Nightmare’s” last title defense was his fifth and saw him extend the record for most consecutive wins in the division with 15, which was previously held by St-Pierre at 13.

Usman’s last fight was largely considered to have come against his toughest possible opponent, Colby Covington. Regardless of the challenge, Usman walked away on top for the second time in their rivalry when earning a unanimous decision. Going forward, the champion has voiced plenty of interest in facing boxing’s pound-for-pound kingpin, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in the ring. But as his fellow legend knows, you can’t get distracted in the game of combat.

“I believe there’s a lot of guys that can beat Usman,” St-Pierre told MMA News. “I do believe personally Usman is the best right now in the division but that doesn’t mean he is invincible. He needs to always stay on top of the game. It’s hard to be champion and it’s even harder to stay champion. I’m sure if you ask Usman, he’ll tell you the same thing.

“He’s on a tear right now, he looks phenomenal but there’s a lot of guys that can give him a lot of trouble like Khamzat Chimaev. Leon Edwards, maybe. Usman so far has been a puzzle that no one is able to solve. He’s incredible but he needs to stay focused to make sure he never underestimates nobody and trains for every fight like it’s the hardest fight he’s ever had.”

“GSP” managed to do what most in MMA haven’t been able to do, which is going out on top. Ruling the 170-pound weight class for essentially his entire career up until his swan song, St-Pierre overcame early setbacks against Matt Hughes and Matt Serra before rounding out his game, avenging his losses, and never tasting defeat ever again. As a result, the Canadian closed out his illustrious career with a second divisional title when submitting Michael Bisping after a four-year layoff in their 2017 showdown.

“Nobody’s invincible, everybody can be beat,” St-Pierre said of Usman. “It’s not the best fighter that wins the fight very often. It’s the question about the fighter that fights the best the night of the fight and there’s a lot of things that can influence the result of a fight.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/4/...-to-stay-focused-a-lot-of-guys-can-beat-usman

Good advice from one champ to another. If Usman can get through Khamzat, I think he can hold onto that belt until he decides to call it career. Provided Shavkat doesn't get to him, that's another beast coming up.

GSP :D
heart-cat.gif

GSP knows a thing or two about being in everybody's crosshairs for a long time. And he's right. As fantastic as Usman can be, as title defenses pile up, tape for other fighters to study adds up as well. But Usman has shown great improvements over his last few, especially in the standup, so that must be at least a bit disarming for all these contenders watching his fights. And having beat a guy like Covington twice already is a gigantic feather to his cap, as he is without a doubt the second best WW in the world, and the only one possibly capable of matching Usman's output both in the wrestling and in the standup departments.

I think Usman could be on top of the welterweight mountain for a long time.

“GSP” managed to do what most in MMA haven’t been able to do, which is going out on top.

Well, he didn't necessarily do that, as most people thought he lost vs Hendricks.

Khabib is a better example of someone going out on top. He didn't have the longevity of GSP, but he's certainly a better example of someone going out on the top.

All it takes to beat usman is decent wrestling to negate his and a fresh chin that doesn't mind getting hit, aka khamzat

Maybe, but not the one who fought Burns, I don't see that guy beating Usman, unless Usman got old. Khazmat needs to keep improving and hoping that Usman will get old
He got tired but his striking looked pretty good and let's remember that Usman got dropped by Burns and rocked by Colby, it's not like he has a legendary chin or the best defense.

Also GSP: "Burns will submit Khamzat Chimaev in round 2"

GSP might be a clear WW Goat, but this guy says a lot of things, man.
So because he didn't predict the fight correctly he all of a sudden has no idea what he's talking about? Why do people not understand how stupid they sound?

What he said he says from experience and it's true. But please tell me more, you obviously know more than someone like GSP.

Kinda true.

Usman has defended against Masvidal, Burns, and Colby (barely in the rematch).

That's it. Let's see how he does when he gets to GSP numbers...

reminder to GSP:

you lost to twice as many guys as usman

Great advice from GSP, he's been there and knows what it takes to stay on top.

First thread, don’t have time to add cliffs. Sorry if this has been posted already. GSP discusses a few things about the WW division. It seems like he is fully aware of all the top fighters. I thought it was a good watch. Favorite part is he talked about how he would gameplan for Usman.

GSP Beaton Usman would literally come down to which era of judges were deciding the fight. This era where you get robbed for wrestling too much or his era where you get robbed for not wrestling enough.

Maybe, but not the one who fought Burns, I don't see that guy beating Usman, unless Usman got old. Khazmat needs to keep improving and hoping that Usman will get old

as if usman did not have major dificulties with durinho

Back