GSP lack of footwork against Hendricks

JustBleed69

Touch-Butt Silver Belt
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse here, but I just re-watched the fight for the first time since viewing it live, anyone else notice that GSP uses virtually no movement or footwork against Hendricks?

He really played into Hendricks game, just stood in front of him flat footed and traded blows.
I don't know if it's because Hendricks rocked him early or something but it was very unusual and not very GOAT like compared to his other fights.

I'm no Firas Zahabi, but I believe if GSP had used more head movement, foot work, and circled more to utilize his jab & kicks, his win over Hendricks could have been much more decisive/less controversial, especially after seeing the way Wonderboy, Gastelum, and even Condit out-struck him with relative ease.

Inb4 GSP 1,3, & 5.

His knees got fucked up in that period. I had a knee injury for a long time(probably still have) and I have less control of my right knee. My left calve is also crazy big compared to my right one, not sure if that's my boxing/kickboxing stance or my body is trying to fix the weight i'm putting on my left leg because of the injury in daily life.

His style was always heavy on the explosion and switching between takedowns and striking. He lost that touch in his recent fights. I think it's because his knees are done after all those surgeries and wars in the sparring sessions and fights.

Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse here, but I just re-watched the fight for the first time since viewing it live, anyone else notice that GSP uses virtually no movement or footwork against Hendricks?

He really played into Hendricks game, just stood in front of him flat footed and traded blows.
I don't know if it's because Hendricks rocked him early or something but it was very unusual and not very GOAT like compared to his other fights.

I'm no Firas Zahabi, but I believe if GSP had used more head movement, foot work, and circled more to utilize his jab & kicks, his win over Hendricks could have been much more decisive/less controversial, especially after seeing the way Wonderboy, Gastelum, and even Condit out-struck him with relative ease.

Inb4 GSP 1,3, & 5.
Did you watch GSP's interview and take on that fight? He said himself that he was rocked badly and didn't come back to it until they were reading the score cards.

200.gif

His knees got fucked up in that period. I had a knee injury for a long time(probably still have) and I have less control of my right knee. My left calve is also crazy big compared to my right one, not sure if that's my boxing/kickboxing stance or my body is trying to fix the weight i'm putting on my left leg because of the injury in daily life.

His style was always heavy on the explosion and switching between takedowns and striking. He lost that touch in his recent fights. I think it's because his knees are done after all those surgeries and wars in the sparring sessions and fights.

Completely forgot about his surgeries

Not one motherfucker should be surprised if (when) Woodley knocks GSP senseless.

That's assuming GSP can get over his concerns about being drug tested, and that he'll sign a contract, and that he won't blow a knee training, and that he'll show up.

Did you watch GSP's interview and take on that fight? He said himself that he was rocked badly and didn't come back to it until they were reading the score cards.

That's a great excuse

"Sorry guys I wasn't really conscious when I won that fight, but if we did it again I would dominate! G2G retiring forever" *runs*

Not one motherfucker should be surprised if (when) Woodley knocks GSP senseless.

That's assuming GSP can get over his concerns about being drug tested, and that he'll sign a contract, and that he won't blow a knee training, and that he'll show up.

The fight will not happen. If i'm wrong, which is rare, Woodley will KO GSP. GSP was very easy to hit in his last few fights and was relatively stationary as the TS indicated.
Also, the UFC is not big on Woodley and will force him to fight Wonderboy, they will not give him the GSP payday.

Yeah, GSP didn't look good in that fight. Some credit should go to Hendricks though. He was really able to take GSP out of his comfort zone by neutralizing his wrestling.

I was scoring this fight in home like 4 times. Hendricks won or there was a draw. Anyway i saw worse decisions.

GSP is the man anyway. Hendricks should do more if he wanted to win.

GSP fought on automatic.

He was hurt badly in the first, 2 and 4 round. It show how much of a true fighter he is too, because the way he fought in the 5 round looked like he never had a belt before. Dude was still wanting to be a champ more than anyone after all those title defenses.

Last edited:

Holy Shit. Really?

GSP fought on automatic.

He was hurt badly in the first, 2 and 4 round. It show how much of a true fighter he is too, because the way he fought in the 5 round looked like he never had a belt before. Dude was still wanting to be a champ more than anyone after all those defenses.
because hendricks cruised in that fifth fight because afaik his corner told him to. cost him the fight, even tough he had win regardless of the fifth

The fight will not happen. If i'm wrong, which is rare, Woodley will KO GSP. GSP was very easy to hit in his last few fights and was relatively stationary as the TS indicated.
Also, the UFC is not big on Woodley and will force him to fight Wonderboy, they will not give him the GSP payday.

They will give him GSP because it means Woodley wins and becomes a huge draw after that. Problem is GSP won't sign for fear of false positive drug test results (true).

He couldn't wrestlefuck Hendricks like he did to al of his other(usually smaller) opponents. Forced to keep it standing against a solid striker, GSP's limited and flawed striking got exposed.

He lost that fight btw.

I was surprised he got through that one , I hope he stays away the quickness & snap is gone , he will just be diving for dick till he gets KOed now & I dont want to see that.

People who claim Hendricks won are basing that on GSP's bruised face. If you look at the stats it's pretty clear GSP won.

GSP had 101 of 221 significant strikes.
Hendricks had 85 of 194 significant strikes.

GSP had 3 takedowns.
Hendricks had 2 takedowns.

Close fight and the fact that Hendricks didn't have a single bruise and was whistling and dancing made it seem like he won but he didn't.

People who claim Hendricks won are basing that on GSP's bruised face. If you look at the stats it's pretty clear GSP won.

GSP had 101 of 221 significant strikes.
Hendricks had 85 of 194 significant strikes.

GSP had 3 takedowns.
Hendricks had 2 takedowns.

Close fight and the fact that Hendricks didn't have a single bruise and was whistling and dancing made it seem like he won but he didn't.

It depends, this isn't all.

While Hendricks had the less volume in his punches, his shots did the most and was of course hard shots.

He also had the advantage in the clinch for most of the fight.

Back