GSP asked for Diaz to distract us from avoiding Silva

scared of anderson and he thinks he could beat diaz

I don't buy into GSP's rhetoric about him believing that Diaz is the #1 contender. He has always been a fairly level headed guy, an able commentator and analyst of the sport, a fair judge of his division and others. He must know very well, as we all do, that Hendricks is the guy who should be getting the shot. A guy coming from a loss, and not having fought in quite some time, being lower ranked than Hendricks cannot be reasonably said to be the #1 contender. I also don't think he still holds on to the grudge with Nick and that he desires to fight him above all things. And I don't think it's money that's speaking either.

So why ask for this fight? The Silva vs. GSP fight was, more than ever, on everyone's radar. Anderson had explicitly said he wanted it next, White said he wanted it and was going to try to make it. Silva shows up at the Condit fight, and says he wants to set it up. Clearly, in spite of the fanbase being divided as to whether Jones vs. Silva was a better fan, this was a fight that was drawing all the hype it was expected from it.

GSP was getting a lot of heat, given his fairly obvious reluctance to take the fight. Hendricks, for all his virtues, is not a particularly popular guy, nor do many believe he has much of a shot against Pierre. But Nick is obviously a star, and a fight with GSP would have the fans hyping it up. This is true even if the odds are still heavily on Pierre's favor, and if Hendricks is generally considered to be more deserving. Diaz is more popular, and more people would be excited for that fight, nevermind fairness.

Had GSP taken on Hendricks instead of Silva, the disappointment of not seeing the Silva fight materialize would have been quite steep. GSP would have drawn a lot of criticism for ducking, warranted or not. But a fight with Nick creates the sort of hype and pleases the many fans that wanted it to begin with. It's a great way to say no to the Silva fight, and not have to assimilate the bulk of criticism.

So I do think that GSP took the Diaz fight primarily as a way to dodge accusations, and to divert the public's attention from the fact that, well, he was explicitly backing down from the Silva fight. Just my two cents.

I think GSP and Silva should fight at a catch weight of in the area of 178 pounds.

But then Hendricks would be the rightful contender. GSP doesn't have to fight nick if he isn't good enough.

Although i do think Diaz has proven himself worthy. GSP might be one of those he felt he was the more dangerous guy in the condit/diaz fight but lost to a better strategy. And i think he has a legitimate rivalry with Nick too.

How has he proven himself worthy? The closest he has come to a top 10 win is washed up Penn, other than that he has 0 wins even remotely close to top 10.

The UFC are making GSP vs. Diaz to cover up their failure of not being able to make GSP vs. Anderson. Plus it's kinda been their plan all along.

GSP 50-45

Wtf should he fight Anderson? Why do we not hear about Anderson ducking Jones? Or Jones ducking Cain?

Amen, gsp vs Diaz is a great fight.
If any superfight was to happen I would rather it be silva vs jones, which silva seems reluctant to do,

So who did Silva ask for to distract from ducking Wiedman, or any 185 contenders? Or Jones? Answer, a guy who has only ever fought as high as 170. Truly a great champion.......

GSP has been ducking Silva for years now. His tactics aren't hard to recognize as long as you aren't hugging his nuts or hating Anderson.

A guy coming from a loss,.

dont forget suspension aswell.

even if he had won against condit it would have been turned into a no contest

Hendricks should have gotten the shot.

How has he proven himself worthy? The closest he has come to a top 10 win is washed up Penn, other than that he has 0 wins even remotely close to top 10.

So Daley isn't even remotely close to top 10?

Diaz made it to the title shot, he was the SF champ and he got the fight with GSP, which he only missed because of the press conference. Then he dominated Penn, then he fought Condit in a fairly even match.

I won't argue the result because i don't think it was unfair, but Diaz was outsmarted, not beaten up or dominated. He got to the top by dominating his competition, and there has been nothing to suggest he isn't as dangerous as he's ever been.

I said the same thing as soon as the Diaz fight was floated. Diaz is the perfect smokescrean to take attention away from a fight with Silva, but in the end Im not complaining because as its a fight I want to see

So who did Silva ask for to distract from ducking Wiedman, or any 185 contenders? Or Jones? Answer, a guy who has only ever fought as high as 170. Truly a great champion.......

Do you honestly believe that Wiedman is a better father than Georges St-Pierr?

Occam's Razor

GSP just wants to get paid.

gsp_contest_display_image.jpg

As a Anderson Silva fan I would rather see Silva Fight Jones now I mean NOW!!.

Before Jones improves further.

Silva a is a mw gsp is a ww. I still don't see why they should fight.

Silva, however, has fought at 205. This is why him vs jones Is the super fight everybody should be asking for. It makes much more sense.

Silva's fought at 168 too, a lot more than at 205 for that matter.

Oh yeah cause taking 1 fight really distracts everyone....

for 3-4 months...

Tell your boy Silva that theres a million fights at his own weight that he's yet to take... ya know, before calling out smaller fighters.

GSP is trying to make up for the financial loss of being out for so long by taking big money fights.

If diaz loses on his return.There goes that big opportunity.Also JH is not a draw at all.

I am pissed that JH didn't get his shot but i guess GSP needs those extra millions.

What exactly are you suggesting here?

I wasn't addressing you. Nevertheless I think it's foolish to imply that Anderson Silva is ducking Chris Weidman by seeking a superfight with GSP. A fight which I believe Georges St-Pierr could very well end up winning.

Silva's fought at 168 too, a lot more than at 205 for that matter.

A decade ago when he looked like a scarecrow, he's fought at LHW just a few months ago.

Personally for me the fights that should have happened awhile ago are Anderson vs several of the smaller elite LHW's, Shogun, Rashad, Hendo again etc. These are guys of a very similar size to Silva and many would argue guys who could potentially have fought MW effectively repesenting the talent drain on that division.

Back