GSP and poor striking - Jake Shields?

Back in 2007 GSP was rated by Fight mag as one of the top 10 strikers in mma! He has gotten better in the boxing area since then.

I always laugh when people say his striking only looks good because people are scared of the td. Not true his strike is just plaine old good, top of the food chain even.

When strikers don't throw strikes for fear of getting too close and ending up on their backs, I'd say it's pretty important.

Or would your money be on GSP in a kickboxing match against Carlos Condit? There's your answer...

you gotta understand GSP always has that threat of a takedown which usually always leads to him holding people down for an entire round, thus taking better strikers out of their element

in a pure striking fight i'd take Thiago Alves, Carlos Condit, Nick Diaz, Dan Hardy, BJ Penn, Martin Kampmann and new to the UFC WW division Robbie Lawler, Nate Marquart, Jordan Mein, and Patrick Cote

without that threat of takedown GSP would be demolished by a lot of people in the striking department
That has nothing too do with this! That would be kickboxing and his td has nothing to do with his technic and everything todo with shutting down the others guys striking! He is one of the best strikers in mma.

The Shields fight is a good example to use since, you can see how dominant GSPs striking was before the eye poke with several stiff Jabs in the first round knocking Jake off his feet, and after the poke, GSP looked completely off his game winging unrefined overhand rights that only connected once in a while.

Also, with Koscheck after his orbital was broke and his eye had swollen shut, his striking became almost non-existent and GSP had his way with Koscheck making GSP's striking look all that much better, similar to how Jake Shield's striking looked improved after GSP's vision was badly impaired.

regardless of wether people are afraid of the takedown or not

striking is striking in MMA

it doesnt matter what tools create what means as long as it happens.

saying someone is good at striking only because of takedowns is a kin to saying that someone is good at striking only because they have a long reach.

It is what it is man. deal with it.

What is obvious? That Silva got destroyed on the feet by a wrestler for 4 and a half rounds, while GSP IMO hasn't lost a single round in striking since when... BJ 1.
Even with the several intentional eye pokes, Shields did nothing to George. I had it 50-45 GSP.

He is the best p4p striker in all of the UFC IMO.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on Sherdog. Are you kidding me? Got destroyed on the feet because he got wobbled ONCE? GSP nearly got knocked out by a headkick in his last fight with Condit. He got TKO'd by Matt Serra, who hadn't had ONE TKO before that fight.

This must be a joke.

When strikers don't throw strikes for fear of getting too close and ending up on their backs, I'd say it's pretty important.
His technic is what makes him a good striker his td's make his op's tight with they're striking!

lol I'm pretty sure Wladimir Klitschko is doing the same. Does he suck at boxing?

Wlad is 6'7" and uses his reach to pick apart his opponents, he's not really a pure boxer homie. Look what happened when he recently fought someone his own height, it went 12 rounds in a somewhat close fight and Wlad got rocked.

Or would your money be on GSP in a kickboxing match against Carlos Condit? There's your answer...

Doesn't matter who the better striker is in a kickboxning match, this is MMA. Putting that one great kick from Carlos aside, he got beat standing up in all five rounds. So who would the better striker be?

regardless of wether people are afraid of the takedown or not

striking is striking in MMA

it doesnt matter what tools create what means as long as it happens.

saying someone is good at striking only because of takedowns is a kin to saying that someone is good at striking only because they have a long reach.

It is what it is man. deal with it.

Striking is striking and mma is mma.

He's one of the top 5 mixed martial artists in the world.

He is not one of the top 5 strikers in the WW division.

If he were he would have a finish in the last 4 years.

the entire title of yesterday's poll was "pure striking". Does anyone here truly believe he is the best "pure striker" in the WW division? BC the poll was laughable.

Who the hell says GSP has poor striking?

Oh and to answer your ? I realy don't know I havent seen either guy in a kb match. Striking in mma is diferent.

GSP doesn't have bad striking but he isn't the best in the division. He has pretty good fundamentals.

MMA striking. "Pure striking" is irrelevant.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on Sherdog. Are you kidding me? Got destroyed on the feet because he got wobbled ONCE? GSP nearly got knocked out by a headkick in his last fight with Condit. He got TKO'd by Matt Serra, who hadn't had ONE TKO before that fight.

This must be a joke.

Excuse me, but you must have some serious issues if you do not see a difference between GSP from April 7th, 2007 and nowadays GSP.
He has been improving ever since.
If we follow your logic, Silva lost to Takase lol.
You are too new here to make such statesments for me newb.

I don't understand people who disregard the threat of takedowns. Sonnen vs Silva I and Cain vs JDS II are prime examples of pure strikers getting outstruck. It is easier to get hit when there are other things to worry about.

Power dos'nt eq technic not every good striker have alot of ko's. Change your name to facepalm!

i am not argueing that with you.

im just saying that you cant really say that his striking is only good due to his oppenents takedown defense, because within that statement says that his striking is good.

alves striking is only good due to his years of concentration on that aspect and without it his striking isnt very good , so therefore alves isnt a good striker.

^^^^ this sounds ridiculous and its kinda what i got from the theory that GSPs striking is only good because....etc.

Back