GSP agrees with Nick Diaz: "I never liked to fight"

Someone kept telling me over and over that Georges didn't dislike fighting despite me posting articles with him saying he did. I cannot recall who kept telling me.

But that guy, whoever you are...

<WellThere>

Good to see a retired fighter with his wits still about him, and its nice to see him speak honestly.
One of the reasons I respect GSP even more. To me, he looked mentally done with the fight game right before Jake Shields or whenever he tore his ACL. You could see whatever was driving him was fading. He left a champion, on top of the sport, and as you said, still with his wits.

GSP being one of the GOATs of MMA even though he doesn't like to fight is like Jeff Bezos being the richest man even though he doesn't like making money. Imagine if he actually does like to fight
<6>

Hard to imagine. It wouldn't be the GSP we knew but it would be closer to the one that got beat by Matt Serra. That's the one fight that he felt like he wasn't scared enough.

Dana White is Looking for a Fight.

Yeah, GSP is quite open about his fear and anxiety. It's an interesting contrast to someone like Anderson Silva who loves to fight.

Opposite mindsets, both greats.

On the flipside, Anderson has (almost) always been pretty open about his fears.
That after not doing well in PRIDE, his main coach leaving Chute Boxe because he felt he wasn't being recognized enough for having discovered & trained Ninja Rua, losing some fights, etc...

... he almost retired before the Nog bros convinced him to give the sport another shot, and that they would personally train him on the ground so he wouldn't get submitted again.

GSP and Anderson are some real interesting characters.

I've heard GSP talk about this so many times lol, every single interview they ask him about it

Most of the guys who actually love to fight are coming from a competitive sports background like high school and college wrestling. Guys like Diaz and GSP are martial arts nerds that love the theory behind fighting.

Last edited:
On the flipside, Anderson has (almost) always been pretty open about his fears.
That after not doing well in PRIDE, his main coach leaving Chute Boxe because he felt he wasn't being recognized enough for having discovered & trained Ninja Rua, losing some fights, etc...

... he almost retired before the Nog bros convinced him to give the sport another shot, and that they would personally train him on the ground so he wouldn't get submitted again.

GSP and Anderson are some real interesting characters.

That's more of a frustration thing and wondering if this fighting thing was actually gonna pay off (especially if he wasn't getting recognition despite his role is Chute Boxe).

But yeah, he wasn't submitted in MMA again since working with the Nog bros.

Someone kept telling me over and over that Georges didn't dislike fighting despite me posting articles with him saying he did. I cannot recall who kept telling me.

But that guy, whoever you are...

<WellThere>

I've heard GSP talk about this so many times lol, every single interview they ask him about it

Yeah he's mentioned it many times before. My (main) motivation for posting it is for the people claiming fighters with this mindset are scared and weak. Everyone's different and the reasons for fighting vary greatly.

One of the reasons I respect GSP even more. To me, he looked mentally done with the fight game right before Jake Shields or whenever he tore his ACL. You could see whatever was driving him was fading. He left a champion, on top of the sport, and as you said, still with his wits.

He tore his ACL twice if im not mistaken

GSP became a fighter by being bullied. He learned fighting to defend himself. But, I seen in interviews before, his fear in fighting. It was nothing new I learned. I heard him say this early on. But, in one interview he had early on in his career he mentioned it. I was not sure if he was just trying to be a role model but as time has gone on I realize its a legit fear.

Back