• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Growing beard vs shaving...which is really lower maintenance?

Low maintenance option....I'd say thin beard maintained once every week or 2 with an eletric trimmer. That's gotta be like 5 minutes and done.

Convenience gets lost to the point women prefer men with facial hair
Trim as needed

I grow a beard during the colder months and stay shaved during the warmer months. The idea of which style is more low maintenance seems to be debated.

Case for Beard: dont have to shave, can just let it grow mang.

Case against beard: at a certain point you need to wash and groom it a certain way to keep up with potential ingrown hairs, flyaways, and scraggly appearance.

Case for shaving - just have to shave and you are done. Maybe once every day or once every few days depending on how close you want it.

Case against - if you need to be clean shaven you need to constantly go through razors or to the barber if you need a very close shave.

Of course if you dont care about appearance you could easily just grow a beard and not give a shit. But also if you dont care about a very close shave you can use an electric razor/trimmer and trim it enough to pass as shaved without spending money on a barber or sharper razors.

which one do you think is lower maintenance? I feel like the beard is lower maintenance until a certain point, while shaving could be consistently the same amount of maintenance throughout. So i guess it is sort of even.
I grew a beard because I got so man ingrown hairs when I was shaving. I have no idea why you say you have to worry about ingrown hairs when growing a beard. Hairs ingrow when they are cut short as the razor pulls them up, cuts them off and they retract below the skin. As they grow an occasional hair grows under the skin instead of going back up through the follicle hole. I trim my beard about once a month. I do shave my neck and get the occasional ingrown hair from that.

6e0a0524440f0512607bc6a680f27b41.jpg

"shave" with clippers, takes under 3 mins to be sorted.

Leaves stubble. so never clean shaven but thats what I prefer!

nujBN1Z.jpeg

You know where I stand on the subject sir, haven't seen my chin in 12 years.

Last edited:
If you shave every day or 2 it takes like 45 seconds to get your face shaved. It's not a big time taking ordeal. Beards probably take way more time to manage once it gets to a certain point.

I shave about every 2 to 3 days until the stubble starts getting too long.

Which is easier?

Short beard. No need for special soaps/shampoos for the long beard. No need for waxes/oils. Trim'er up 1-2x monthly.

I used to grow a beard for the colder months, then shave it off in the spring. I quit doing it when I got into DE shaving. I had a helluva time finding a blade that was a smooth shaver for a 2-3 pass DE shave, with good shaving soap. Quit growing beards for several years.

Bought a too-expensive Norelco electric shaver on a lark after seeing a "best electric shaver" run-down on YT, maybe 2 years ago. It is wet/dry, so I kept my fancy shaving soaps. I get better shave, closer and pain-free, with the damned Norelco than I ever did with a DE. No problems with ingrowns. Again, no pain, no rash, no bleeding.

Had problems finding the right DE blade for my face. Finally found the "One." Also finally found the "One" razor after a deep rabbit-hole of vintage and modern DE razors.

Anyhoo... Back to growing a winter beard again. It has a cool white/dark pattern now. I keep it for 3-5 months, with a monthly trim.

I grew a beard because I got so man ingrown hairs when I was shaving. I have no idea why you say you have to worry about ingrown hairs when growing a beard. Hairs ingrow when they are cut short as the razor pulls them up, cuts them off and they retract below the skin. As they grow an occasional hair grows under the skin instead of going back up through the follicle hole. I trim my beard about once a month. I do shave my neck and get the occasional ingrown hair from that.

That's from improper shaving or improper cleaning. When you grow a beard and it starts getting longer and especially if you have curly hair it can start to regrow into your skin.

I find maintaining a beard so that you don't look like a crazy person that just fought a dog over a chicken wing, is more work than shaving.

Just curious you have a great epic beard and all. But why not keep the stache? Will it make you older is that why? Just wondering thanks my friend.

Honestly, I look like my biological father when I have a moustache, and since he left before I was born he doesn't deserve to be in my life in any way, especially not when I look in the mirror sir.

I grow a beard during the colder months and stay shaved during the warmer months. The idea of which style is more low maintenance seems to be debated.

Case for Beard: dont have to shave, can just let it grow mang.

Case against beard: at a certain point you need to wash and groom it a certain way to keep up with potential ingrown hairs, flyaways, and scraggly appearance.

Case for shaving - just have to shave and you are done. Maybe once every day or once every few days depending on how close you want it.

Case against - if you need to be clean shaven you need to constantly go through razors or to the barber if you need a very close shave.

Of course if you dont care about appearance you could easily just grow a beard and not give a shit. But also if you dont care about a very close shave you can use an electric razor/trimmer and trim it enough to pass as shaved without spending money on a barber or sharper razors.

which one do you think is lower maintenance? I feel like the beard is lower maintenance until a certain point, while shaving could be consistently the same amount of maintenance throughout. So i guess it is sort of even.

Wild ungroomed beard checking in. It's easier to just let it go unchecked and hit it with a decent moisturizer when you get out of the shower Than it will ever be to shave or trim all the time. I feel bad for clean shavin guys and think it's not a good look.

I find maintaining a beard so that you don't look like a crazy person that just fought a dog over a chicken wing, is more work than shaving.

It's not. It's as simple as lotion and a hairbrush

I shave every other day for 2 reasons:
My beard has patches
My GF hates it

Oh.. and I look younger this way.

Back