• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Growing beard vs shaving...which is really lower maintenance?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I grow a beard during the colder months and stay shaved during the warmer months. The idea of which style is more low maintenance seems to be debated.

Case for Beard: dont have to shave, can just let it grow mang.

Case against beard: at a certain point you need to wash and groom it a certain way to keep up with potential ingrown hairs, flyaways, and scraggly appearance.

Case for shaving - just have to shave and you are done. Maybe once every day or once every few days depending on how close you want it.

Case against - if you need to be clean shaven you need to constantly go through razors or to the barber if you need a very close shave.

Of course if you dont care about appearance you could easily just grow a beard and not give a shit. But also if you dont care about a very close shave you can use an electric razor/trimmer and trim it enough to pass as shaved without spending money on a barber or sharper razors.

which one do you think is lower maintenance? I feel like the beard is lower maintenance until a certain point, while shaving could be consistently the same amount of maintenance throughout. So i guess it is sort of even.

I usually grow a beard until it starts becoming too thick to where it looks bad and my mustache starts to hurt and I can't eat foods without getting it in my beard. (Usually takes a few months to get to this point).

Then I will shave it off with a razor and start over again.

shave with a de blade. ur not a kid, and it will stop pimples and razor burn.

Starting to get a lot of gray hairs in my beard, while having very few on my head. Find myself keeping it trimmed more lately to make the grays less noticeable.

I grow a beard during the colder months and stay shaved during the warmer months. The idea of which style is more low maintenance seems to be debated.

Case for Beard: dont have to shave, can just let it grow mang.

Case against beard: at a certain point you need to wash and groom it a certain way to keep up with potential ingrown hairs, flyaways, and scraggly appearance.

Case for shaving - just have to shave and you are done. Maybe once every day or once every few days depending on how close you want it.

Case against - if you need to be clean shaven you need to constantly go through razors or to the barber if you need a very close shave.

Of course if you dont care about appearance you could easily just grow a beard and not give a shit. But also if you dont care about a very close shave you can use an electric razor/trimmer and trim it enough to pass as shaved without spending money on a barber or sharper razors.

which one do you think is lower maintenance? I feel like the beard is lower maintenance until a certain point, while shaving could be consistently the same amount of maintenance throughout. So i guess it is sort of even.
Stubble wins the category of low maintenance. You shave with an electric razor once a week and it's easier than a regular shave.

Currently I go with a DE shave.

I recently had to shave off my beard to get fitted for a respirator and forgot how much of a pain in the ass it is, no way I'm doing that everyday.

Shaving daily was more maintenance for me when I was fresh faced. Currently with a beard. I don’t rock the big bushy lumberjack style, so I’ll trim around my mouth with scissors maybe once a week and then do a trim with a #2 clip all over every 3 weeks or so.

Stubble wins the category of low maintenance. You shave with an electric razor once a week and it's easier than a regular shave.

Currently I go with a DE shave.

This is the right answer. I shave every 4 days with an electric shaver and it’s low maintenance and I get to not look like a homeless vagrant. It’s also worth springing for a quality shaver. My Braun series 7 is indestructible, is going on 10 years and still cuts through 4 days’ stubble like butter.

shave with a de blade. ur not a kid, and it will stop pimples and razor burn.
DE was a game changer for me. It's a bit of a learning curve but I can get a 3 pass, close shave in about 15 minutes now and I do that every other day. Usually before bed and it's fine the next day. A box of 100 razors is $15 at the max and that lasts a year easily.

I don't find it saves me that much money though cause I just go down the rabbit hole of constantly wanting to try new soaps and aftershaves now. I have about 10 different soaps in the cabinet at the moment <lmao>

I use the Remington MB4700 beard trimmer. Very little maintenance, I trim the beard once a week. You can set your preferred length.

I have a light goatee. It looks good on me so I keep it, but I always keep t short

I have a beard so people identify me as a man, little do they know, I have a vagina.

african-americans-wwii-001_crop.jpg

vs

portrait-bearded-man-bicyclist-crazy-hipster-having-fun-with-bicycle-outdoors_265223-14286.jpg

beards.jpg

I like the idea of a beard but I hate when it gets sweaty and I hate the idea of hair falling into my food <Fedor23>

Weird thing is, since going through Chemo, I can grow a mustache but a beard takes too long to grow and comes in scraggly.

However, since I plan to commit a fairly serious crime in a couple of months or so, I'm growing as much facial hair as I can. That way, any witnesses left alive will find it more difficult to identify me once I've shaved and cut my hair. 😈 ;)

I keep mine at a very low guard. No sweat gets caught in it, and you get no hairs in your food, but you also get to avoid the babyface look, and you get the benefits of the light shadow, which works for some people.

I shave every two or three days. No desire to have a beard. They seem so uncomfortable and dirty

Back