Ground and pound vs BJJ experiment

couldnt someone kick you in the balls while you are laying on your back while the guy is standing?

Yes just like you can up kick him on the balls... You use your legs to establish distance even in the ground, kick his shin knee etc it really isn't that easy

couldnt someone kick you in the balls while you are laying on your back while the guy is standing?
A guy with decent amount of grapling would know to control the legs (standing guy) with his/her feet, while staying square. Then eventually going to x-guard.
I don't know the formal term, but it would be having your feet on his upper shins, near the knee. There's a trip from there with both feet on the same shin.

A guy with decent amount of grapling would know to control the legs (standing guy) with his/her feet, while staying square. Then eventually going to x-guard.
I don't know the formal term, but it would be having your feet on his upper shins, near the knee. There's a trip from there with both feet on the same shin.
oh ok. that interesting. I'm hoping to take up brazlian jiujitsu and eventually compete in mma. I just saw them with their legs up in the air and was like "' couldnt that guy stomp their groin?"

oh ok. that interesting. I'm hoping to take up brazlian jiujitsu and eventually compete in mma. I just saw them with their legs up in the air and was like "' couldnt that guy stomp their groin?"
I'll try that out this week, and will let you know how it goes. brb watching Shogun videos for practice material

I'll try that out this week, and will let you know how it goes. brb watching Shogun videos for practice material
so some bjj schools practice that self defense stuff?

so some bjj schools practice that self defense stuff?
It ain't cheating if you don't get caught

Will claim trying to escape a leg lock, and the pull was too strong it forced my leg down..... 10+ times

But MMA rules are the closest thing to "street rules" in a controlled environment. Sure it may have some restrictions, the mentality is different, but its more free compared to other systems out there.

Once you wear gloves street equivalence is out the window. Also that they begin standing up each new round no matter what is completely unrealistic and unfavourable to the grappler. Gloves are also unfavourable to grappler.

Once you wear gloves street equivalence is out the window. Also that they begin standing up each new round no matter what is completely unrealistic and unfavourable to the grappler. Gloves are also unfavourable to grappler.
Do you know of any other style/ruleset that is as close and realistic as MMA is while being somewhat safe for the practitioners?
gloves are for the protector of the hands of the striker not for the receiver.

For standing up it depends, if you;re too close to the edge and there is another class running, to prevent people interfering with each other, you reset in the same position eg. you on bottom under KOB, you reset and start from there.
If its stalled for awhile (usually 1min+), the coach/instructor will stand it up, both sides are at a stalemate, nothing is happening, the grappler isn't doing anything, and the striker isn't either, so it gets stood up, thats normal.

Depending on the situation the gloves can be beneficial to the grappler. due to it's mass, its harder to pull out when stuck in say an overhook or a tight triangle. To the grappler on the offense, that doesn't seem like a disadvantage,

Your a big dude, that's the thing... When you are not that big, you are going to go to the ground. Is common sense that you don't go to the ground in a brawl, but if you are small dude, you will, anyways a brawl is a brawl, size is the most important thing to have in there, and good hands.

Hip surgery, that sucks, hope you get better

217lb's cause I can't do any real cardio....LOL!

There's a good tactical point I was taught by an army vet. If someone is going to assault u why let them dictate the moment it turns violent? He was talking about firefights in hostile theaters and tactical ambushes, but the concept applies to the street, my old workplace or any potentially violent situation.

So someone starts escalating amping up to leave no option but assaulting u, interrupt that process. After time in an environment where assaults r common u learn the pattern of escalation by body language, facial expression and voice tone.

I can hear a bar fight starting before it happens now and regularly catch the eye of the security guys I know to point out where shit's getting physical or even likely perps who'll start shit later in the night just by how they're acting. I've tested that last point so many times now I trust it automatically.

As a smaller person, taking someone down by surprise can compensate for size differential and the advantage of control position when down. When we had people fighting and falling into other people or over chairs or tables I was able to use my Ukemi to fall in a dominant position.

Same thing applies to your situation, u got the ground skills to restrain, it's more in dictating the timing where it gets physical and getting someone down without cracking their skulls in the fall and landing where u have the dominant position.

Most people who start shit have had priors or brushes with the law, so if LEO shows up with u controlling an aggressor, he's not too banged up, u clearly explain the events of the encounter and have other wit's to backup your statement, even u acting first will not put u in any legal liability. But he's gotta be in undamaged shape, no serious injury, no trip to the ER than 99% of the time u r good to go!

One thing about modern bjj guys not being trained to deal with aggressive gnp is that they are however used to high pressure environments and high stress situations way more than the average hobbyist that has to perform hip tosses against bear hugs every couple weeks.

I think the context of this video gets lost a bit. The idea wasn't to put Firaz, Garry, and Gordon in there with Fedor.

Also I thought the video had a good mix of bottom techniques and techniques on top. And the leg entanglements were well demonstrated in terms of how they can be used to control the hips and keep someone away from you and out of striking distance.

Another thing too is if you actually know the Gracie punch block series, they use almost every elements of it at various points during the video.

qZN8XSp.png

Because leg entanglement positions create and maintain distance between our chests and effectively limit ground and pound, while allowing you to cripple an opponent to prevent him following you?

They're also great for women. Jeff Glover and Dean Lister teach leg entanglements for women's self defense at Victory MMA.

Generally since women have stronger hips and legs and men have stronger upper bodies, going to leg entanglements can be a good option for women's self defense. They have strong leg presses and strong hips, so getting them to do a reaping heel hook for example is pretty easy, and the movement is gross motor enough that it's not more complicated than asking them to do a triangle choke.

And like some people have pointed out. Going for a choke may be ideal for self defense but if you had to go for a joint lock, a leg lock is probably a stronger option. Especially if you need to get away. If someone does an ideal finish for an inside heel hook for example (crunching your toes towards your butt and bridging through the side of your knee), you may not ever walk normally again, so good luck trying to chase anyone after that. With adrenaline I guess anything is possible but getting your whole leg wrecked is worse than getting your elbow popped.

Back