Ground and pound vs BJJ experiment

Ishaq

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

I like the experiment but the gloves are too large and the strikers are holding back.

I do think modern BJJ guys are not trained for an aggressive gnp.

I love firas I follow his channel a lot, but this was silly, big ass gloves and pretending to strike does not reacreate at all a fighting scenario.

I love firas I follow his channel a lot, but this was silly, big ass gloves and pretending to strike does not reacreate at all a fighting scenario.
It's training with guys who aren't even fighters. You start with low pressure to practice techniques, and increase pressure over time. You can't just have guys cutting loose on each other with small gloves in training like Chute Boxe unless you want them to end up like Wand.

The point is to improve the use of leg locks against GNP, which won't happen without practice against progressive resistance.

It's training with guys who aren't even fighters. You start with low pressure to practice techniques, and increase pressure over time. You can't just have guys cutting loose on each other with small gloves in training like Chute Boxe unless you want them to end up like Wand.

The point is to improve the use of leg locks against GNP, which won't happen without practice against progressive resistance.

I believe in progressive resistance training.. What's the point of training leg locks for sd? I mean of course you can sweep someone and apply a hh to a random dude, 16z gloves are nothing like reality though... If you are training guard work with strikes, 4z and not going balls to the wall is the best way to do it. 16z is just silly...

I mean of course you can sweep someone and apply a hh to a random dude

Man the kid in the opening video was not able to do it because he was very uncomfortable with strikes in his guard.

I believe in progressive resistance training.. What's the point of training leg locks for sd? I mean of course you can sweep someone and apply a hh to a random dude, 16z gloves are nothing like reality though... If you are training guard work with strikes, 4z and not going balls to the wall is the best way to do it. 16z is just silly...
Because leg entanglement positions create and maintain distance between our chests and effectively limit ground and pound, while allowing you to cripple an opponent to prevent him following you?

Because leg entanglement positions create and maintain distance between our chests and effectively limit ground and pound, while allowing you to cripple an opponent to prevent him following you?

you cannot GnP someone in a leg entanglement, specially if you dont know what you are doing and the other guy has a hold of your heel. Whether the dude will or will not able to keep on fighting after getting his knee torn a part is another thing, actually I wouldnt ever go for a leg lock nor any joint submission, adrenaline makes up for a lot of shit.

Man the kid in the opening video was not able to do it because he was very uncomfortable with strikes in his guard.

I never said you shouldnt practice wth strikes, I said its silly to do it with 16oz gloves. I am a firm believer that you should add strikes to your training once in a while.

It would've been better to do it with 6-8oz. I actually train with these types of gloves. I've actually never done 4oz sparring before

239002_C_600x600.jpg

Some guys I know train with 12-16oz as their way of being forced to strike instead of grapple. I get it somewhat. Some guys that do BJJ for awhile have habits ingrained from the sport, and should strike instead of doing the usual BJJ stuff.

eg. stuck in closed guard, and uses strikes to open, then pass. Instead they would just stay there and try to pass without using strikes, maybe 1 or 2, then spend the rest of the time doing their usual pass. Its just habit from their sport.

Last edited:
People should be allowed up kicks, and just kicks in general off their backs. I wonder if will change anything.

People should be allowed up kicks, and just kicks in general off their backs. I wonder if will change anything.

It changes things a bit, but not so much.

Up kicks are more useful for standing up, not someone who wants to engage on the ground, so bjj guys don't have that much of an advantage if up kicks are involved because the window to use it against a pressure passer is small and it only serves to keep someone from the floor and not baiting them into their strongest area.

What would really make a difference is letting you knee someone you've got in the front head lock, or kick them while they're down.

You guys are talking about MMA rules. I think Firas was more concerned about defending yourself in an altercation in the street.

The gym stuff looked totally fake to someone who spent 2 years witnessing and breaking up felony assault's on a regular basis. The opening clip was close, but because it was filmed with a group around NOT getting involved was nothing more than an "at will" school yard scuffle.

Standing grappling with inside strike training where you trip or throw the guy to the ground and keep a standing base to avoid getting dragged there is the best effective SD.

Willingly choosing to focus most of your skill on the ground is only training for when u r about to get seriously injured. Most of the time should be spent drilling keeping an aggressor off of you by training balance and base control.

That's what I found works by serving in an over crowded and chaotic environment that had constant violent altercations against clients and staff.

You guys are talking about MMA rules. I think Firas was more concerned about defending yourself in an altercation in the street.
But MMA rules are the closest thing to "street rules" in a controlled environment. Sure it may have some restrictions, the mentality is different, but its more free compared to other systems out there.

But MMA rules are the closest thing to "street rules" in a controlled environment. Sure it may have some restrictions, the mentality is different, but its more free compared to other systems out there.

This is true.

But madsquabbles500 was talking about whether upkicks should be allowed whilst I think Firas experiment was done with a street altercation in mind. Upkicks are allowed...as well as slams.

The gym stuff looked totally fake to someone who spent 2 years witnessing and breaking up felony assault's on a regular basis. The opening clip was close, but because it was filmed with a group around NOT getting involved was nothing more than an "at will" school yard scuffle.

Standing grappling with inside strike training where you trip or throw the guy to the ground and keep a standing base to avoid getting dragged there is the best effective SD.

Willingly choosing to focus most of your skill on the ground is only training for when u r about to get seriously injured. Most of the time should be spent drilling keeping an aggressor off of you by training balance and base control.

That's what I found works by serving in an over crowded and chaotic environment that had constant violent altercations against clients and staff.

How big are you?

couldnt someone kick you in the balls while you are laying on your back while the guy is standing?

How big are you?
6,0 217lb at the doctors last week starting the process for hip surgery from 2 much break falling in training....

Dude I'm totally stoked to roll again and maybe start the discipline of drilling the techniques to be promoted.

There's a toughness in BJJ that is really hard to replicate in standing un padded sparring. But in a crowded chaotic environment I'm training to not get taken down or at worst use Ukemi to land on top of aggressors till LEO or other staff can assist.

Just my real world experience....

6,0 217lb at the doctors last week starting the process for hip surgery from 2 much break falling in training....

Dude I'm totally stoked to roll again and maybe start the discipline of drilling the techniques to be promoted.

There's a toughness in BJJ that is really hard to replicate in standing un padded sparring. But in a crowded chaotic environment I'm training to not get taken down or at worst use Ukemi to land on top of aggressors till LEO or other staff can assist.

Just my real world experience....

Your a big dude, that's the thing... When you are not that big, you are going to go to the ground. Is common sense that you don't go to the ground in a brawl, but if you are small dude, you will, anyways a brawl is a brawl, size is the most important thing to have in there, and good hands.

Hip surgery, that sucks, hope you get better

Back