Groin Pain - Injury or tightness?

Robw391

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster..

I recently had my first taste of muay thai in thailand for 2 weeks of one to one sessions.

When I first started it was pretty obvious that mobility, specifically hip and groin, was going to limit my ability to throw kicks correctly, but I could still give it a go because I'm averagely flexible from other sports.

I would spend a lot of time around sessions working on mobility but actually noticed my mobility start to decrease rapidly towards the end of the two weeks and it started to become a bit painful to stretch but not so painful that I couldn't throw high kicks (or attempt to) in sessions.

Completely unaware of an actual injury, I came back home, joined the gym and immediately noticed on squats and sumo deadlifts that both groins are either really tight or strained. The pain is really high up in the thick tough parts at the top of the leg.

I've rested, attempted mild rehab, massaged, foam rolled and rested some more but it's now a full six weeks since I did any muay thai and my groins are still too painful to stretch and whenever I simulate a kick of any height there is a shooting pain through both groins.

I can now squat and deadlift without discomfort so I can't believe it is a groin strain, are they just really tight? Overworked? Chronically inflamed?

I appreciate it's hard to tell, just looking to see if anyone's had a similar experience and whether this is part of the process.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

I have. Maybe it is more your hip than groin. Does it feel like an impingement?

Go get checked by a physiotherapist.

Hmm I'm not sure, it definitely feels more like groin, it is aggravated during groin stretches and it feels as if the problem is where the adductors attach to the pelvis, could hip impingement cause this?

Yeh I should probably bite the bullet and see a physio..

Back