Greta Van Fleet...Not just a Zeppelin sound alike band?

lol glorified cover band indeed. ripping off whom, pray tell?
ever seen them live?
didn't think so.
saw at least 8 shows in the 70s.
apart from doing their take on james brown and other bluesmen, they
never ripped off anyone.
show me where they did, guppy.
you can't.

Nah his solo stuff is every bit as good imo. His album with John Renbourn is also quality.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Arctic Monkeys?

I always find myself repeating this statement but, why would anyone listen to Greta Van Fleet when Zeppelin still exists? Like why?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the Arctic Monkeys?

I like a few of their songs off the first album and some off AM, but wouldn't say I'm a big fan or anything.

I always find myself repeating this statement but, why would anyone listen to Greta Van Fleet when Zeppelin still exists? Like why?
Still exists?

I didn't say they were literally a cover band. So not really a cop out no. Also never uttered a word about copyright infringement, in fact that would hilariously ironic when talking about Zep who were notorious for pinching things. But despite that, they still had something special there, as well as a real edge.

I said it's like Greta Van Fleet are playing dress-up, like a tribute band. It's like The Strypes as well, they aren't literally covering the older bands, but they aren't integrating their influences in any kind of natural way. They are attempting to imitate an aesthetic which was of a particular time and place. There are plenty of quality bands influenced by older music, even with a retro sound; but it doesn't come across as completely contrived like I find GVF to be.

I don't think it's unfair either, their songs are completely aping the style of Led Zeppelin songs (ok, one or two Rush or Aerosmith songs too...whatever), but aren't as good. When I listen to it I think "this is...ok, but I think I wanna stick on a Led Zep LP now".

When I listen to White Denim - as an example - I can hear the influences of older artists, but the songs stand on their own, and I can happily listen to them on their own terms. Of course it's all good if you do like them but this was a thread asking for opinions. It's not like I've come in and started trashing them out of the blue.

As for GVF not getting their influences from Zep:

<{hughesimpress}>

Good God. That's a fucking bullshit interview from Plant. Ironic he complains about a kid that sounds like zep, who in turn took their sound quite literally from other musicians. So what does the kid do? Does he say oh fuck it I sound like another singer. Might as well go work at burger king. He has a legit talent and so do the people playing behind him. Its such a non-factor to Robert Plant. Like he needs protect himself and the band from kids making quality music with a similar sound 30+ years later.

Never heard of them until now. When you're this unapologetic of a ripoff, you kind of own it. Especially when the music ain't easy to play and the execution is this flawless. It's fun to listen to, but if they don't forge their own direction it will get stale.

I used to say the next Led Zeppelin won't sound like Led Zeppelin. Guess I was wrong.

Great artists steal™

Last edited:
I thing it’s pretty refreshing to see a group of youngsters who have a pretty distinct sound. Sure, it may not be the most original but I really think they have tons of potential. Especially considering the power of the voice of the brother singer.

Obviously tons of comparisons to Led Zep, but I like to hope that they will develop into much more than that.

The musicianship is nowhere near what Zeppelin had, but they certainly come up with some crunchy ass riffs.

What do y’all think? Just a rip off of Zep?
Great new band with loads of talent.They sound like LedZep as do many bands, as most musicians sound like someone before them.I have to laugh at these music snobs that try to take away from a young,upstart band that write incredible songs because their a supposed "Zeppelin rip off". But most that shite on other musicians can't play a lick anyway:D

People say them sounding like Zep is bad thing. If you like Zep, then why not like GVF?

I hate when people say theyre a cover band.. how can you be a cover band without covers? Get fucking real.

Lastly, the only reason people really harp on about them sounding like Zep is because of the singer.. but I hear a lot of Rush, Aerosmith, Stones, etc in their songs. So if anything, I think they are stealing sounds from a lot of classic rock bands. Again, not a bad thing.
The first line in the very first song I ever heard by them I thought this kid sounds like Geddy Lee.By the end of the song I heard Zeppelin.With too many influences in between these lads pinch a wee bit from many but the mix is all their own.In the end you're spot on...being compared to legends isn't a bad thing + they're still fucking kids!

I only heard one of their songs, and I am not inclined to listen to more. Won't say it is a 100% Zep ripoff, but its close. And I really don't like their singer- both in voice and appearance. His voice has annoying undertones.

I only heard a few songs, but the vocals sound like Steve Marriot from Humble Pie to me. But has Plant style as well...

But GVFs singer may get annoying to me after awhile, not sure. Not sure if theyre that big of a deal, or if its just the fact that todays music more or less sucks...If a band can sound good live though, they have to be half decent just because...

No, they just sound like Zep. Nothing else.

GVF is annoying as fuck. Not for sounding like Zeppeling, but for pretending like they don’t. The singer said it was “primitive” to even compare the two.

After that I wrote them off. Their new album is meh and is completely derivative and nothing else.

lol @ this thread. And while LZ re-recorded their own versions of some stuff calling them a ‘cover’ band is hilariously stupid. I guess all the famous blues musicians most people can name are just ‘cover song’ players too because they all did the same shit. But, ya know, let’s give LZ shit for it.

‘Dazed and Confused’ is a legit theft tho. That said, even the guy who wrote it admits LZ’s version is much better.

LZ also wrote plenty of their own great tunes.

They're good and put on a hell of a live show. Went to see them with my dad a few months back, was pretty cool seeing a mix of older and younger people.
I saw them recently too. This band called Dorothy opened for them. INCREDIBLE

a group of youngsters who have a pretty distinct sound. Sure, it may not be the most original

How can it be distinct if it's not original? That's my whole issue with the band.

lol @ this thread. And while LZ re-recorded their own versions of some stuff calling them a ‘cover’ band is hilariously stupid. I guess all the famous blues musicians most people can name are just ‘cover song’ players too because they all did the same shit. But, ya know, let’s give LZ shit for it.

‘Dazed and Confused’ is a legit theft tho. That said, even the guy who wrote it admits LZ’s version is much better.

LZ also wrote plenty of their own great tunes.

Did anyone actually call them a cover band? They pinched a few tunes here and there, but still a great band. It's not like they are alone either, I mean Bob Dylan and others have also pinched a few in their day. Still great artists.

Back