Greta Van Fleet...Not just a Zeppelin sound alike band?

Langstarr

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I thing it’s pretty refreshing to see a group of youngsters who have a pretty distinct sound. Sure, it may not be the most original but I really think they have tons of potential. Especially considering the power of the voice of the brother singer.

Obviously tons of comparisons to Led Zep, but I like to hope that they will develop into much more than that.

The musicianship is nowhere near what Zeppelin had, but they certainly come up with some crunchy ass riffs.

What do y’all think? Just a rip off of Zep?

They're good and put on a hell of a live show. Went to see them with my dad a few months back, was pretty cool seeing a mix of older and younger people.

Nah seems too contrived and artificial. Listening to GVF just makes me want to put on Led zep instead, it's ok music wise and they play their instruments well but sounds like a bunch of half-baked zep sogs.

Nah seems too contrived and artificial. Listening to GVF just makes me want to put on Led zep instead, it's ok music wise and they play their instruments well but sounds like a bunch of half-baked zep sogs.
Completely disagree. I don't find any of their songs to be half baked what ever that's supposed to mean. I think they go full out in the song creation and music and bring a very complete final product. I get it that some people can't get over the similarity to Zep but it's bullshit to say they only make half assed songs.

Completely disagree. I don't find any of their songs to be half baked what ever that's supposed to mean. I think they go full out in the song creation and music and bring a very complete final product. I get it that some people can't get over the similarity to Zep but it's bullshit to say they only make half assed songs.

Don't agree. Didn't say that they made half-assed songs, they write ok songs, with pretty good production, solid musicianship but it sounds too much like Led zep, without having that extra something that made zep so special. None of their songs stand up to Zep, hence I think they sound like half-baked Zep songs.

Like The Strypes before them its like a tribute band with lads playing dress up, but it just makes me want to listen to the real thing.

Don't agree. Didn't say that they made half-assed songs, they write ok songs, with pretty good production, solid musicianship but it sounds too much like Led zep, without having that extra something that made zep so special. None of their songs stand up to Zep, hence I think they sound like half-baked Zep songs.

Like The Strypes before them its like a tribute band with lads playing dress up, but it just makes me want to listen to the real thing.

That's an unfair assessment to say a brand new band doesn't stand up to Zep, a band with decades of support behind them. Also classifying them as a cover band is a cop out. I've yet to see anyone come up with any proof GVF are using anything even remotely classified as an infringement of Zep's music.

It's all good if you don't like them but. I get they sound like zep but they are not a cover band. They don't even get their influences from Zeppelin.

zeppelin themselves are a glorified cover band so ripping off a rip-off is pretty shit

People say them sounding like Zep is bad thing. If you like Zep, then why not like GVF?

I hate when people say theyre a cover band.. how can you be a cover band without covers? Get fucking real.

Lastly, the only reason people really harp on about them sounding like Zep is because of the singer.. but I hear a lot of Rush, Aerosmith, Stones, etc in their songs. So if anything, I think they are stealing sounds from a lot of classic rock bands. Again, not a bad thing.

People say them sounding like Zep is bad thing. If you like Zep, then why not like GVF?

I hate when people say theyre a cover band.. how can you be a cover band without covers? Get fucking real.

Lastly, the only reason people really harp on about them sounding like Zep is because of the singer.. but I hear a lot of Rush, Aerosmith, Stones, etc in their songs. So if anything, I think they are stealing sounds from a lot of classic rock bands. Again, not a bad thing.
who is not a cover band? greta van fleet or led zeppelin?

who is not a cover band? greta van fleet or led zeppelin?
by the definition of cover band, neither are. The closest thing would be Zeppelin since some of their early songs were at least in part covers.

It's better than about 95% of mainstream music that comes out these days so why complain

That's an unfair assessment to say a brand new band doesn't stand up to Zep, a band with decades of support behind them. Also classifying them as a cover band is a cop out. I've yet to see anyone come up with any proof GVF are using anything even remotely classified as an infringement of Zep's music.

It's all good if you don't like them but. I get they sound like zep but they are not a cover band. They don't even get their influences from Zeppelin.

I didn't say they were literally a cover band. So not really a cop out no. Also never uttered a word about copyright infringement, in fact that would hilariously ironic when talking about Zep who were notorious for pinching things. But despite that, they still had something special there, as well as a real edge.

I said it's like Greta Van Fleet are playing dress-up, like a tribute band. It's like The Strypes as well, they aren't literally covering the older bands, but they aren't integrating their influences in any kind of natural way. They are attempting to imitate an aesthetic which was of a particular time and place. There are plenty of quality bands influenced by older music, even with a retro sound; but it doesn't come across as completely contrived like I find GVF to be.

I don't think it's unfair either, their songs are completely aping the style of Led Zeppelin songs (ok, one or two Rush or Aerosmith songs too...whatever), but aren't as good. When I listen to it I think "this is...ok, but I think I wanna stick on a Led Zep LP now".

When I listen to White Denim - as an example - I can hear the influences of older artists, but the songs stand on their own, and I can happily listen to them on their own terms. Of course it's all good if you do like them but this was a thread asking for opinions. It's not like I've come in and started trashing them out of the blue.

As for GVF not getting their influences from Zep:

<{hughesimpress}>

zeppelin themselves are a glorified cover band so ripping off a rip-off is pretty shit
lol glorified cover band indeed. ripping off whom, pray tell?
ever seen them live?
didn't think so.
saw at least 8 shows in the 70s.
apart from doing their take on james brown and other bluesmen, they
never ripped off anyone.
show me where they did, guppy.
you can't.

lol glorified cover band indeed. ripping off whom, pray tell?
ever seen them live?
didn't think so.
saw at least 8 shows in the 70s.
apart from doing their take on james brown and other bluesmen, they
never ripped off anyone.
show me where they did, guppy.
you can't.

Well you can easily point to examples of tunes and riffs they pinched, but certainly agree that they never ripped off anyones entire aesthetic wholesale like GVF.

what tunes and riffs did they pinch specifically.
I'd love to know.
since it's so easy to point to.

I'd love to know.
they literally ripped the main riff from bert jansch’s “black waterside” and called the fucking song “black mountain side”. “babe i’m gonna leave you” is completely ripped off as well.

there’s 1000 examples. no way you aren’t trolling

I'd love to know.

Yes, very easy. If you'd love to know I will show you two they pinched from Bert Jansch arrangements:

becomes

becomes

they literally ripped the main riff from bert jansch’s “black waterside” and called the fucking song “black mountain side”. “babe i’m gonna leave you” is completely ripped off as well.

there’s 1000 examples. no way you aren’t trolling

you came up with one, maybe.
where are the other 999?
waiting.

Back