Multiplatform GreedFall

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Sees both digital and physical release in 48 hours and hadn't heard of it myself before this morning.

Features character creation for protag and is at heart an RPG. Studio is Parisian outfit Spiders. Excerpts I liked from the homepage, in English language here

The world of GreedFall and its visual identity draw heavily from 17th century Europe. The architecture, costumes, weaponry, ambiance all take root in this period of history dominated by exploration, scientific discoveries, and booming culture in general.

The world of GreedFall is not entirely down-to-earth. You will explore an immense island seeping with magic. Its lands, inhabited by magic-wielding locales and fantastical creatures, hide countless mysteries and secrets awaiting to be discovered.

The Old World is dying. The continent is polluted, overpopulated, and plagued by a deadly, incurable disease. Its weary population grows desperate.

But there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon – an Island, remote and hidden, has been discovered. Teer Fradee... a land spared by the Malichor plague, a haven of life, wild and untampered by mankind. It is the promise of riches, but also represents the best hope for mankind to find a cure to the Malichor. On the hunt for the cure, explore a fresh new world as, alongside settlers, mercenaries and treasure hunters, you set foot on this remote island seeping with magic.

Stills and multimedia I liked:

GreedFall-E3-2018.jpg

Greedfall.jpg

48683823288_0eb5b14060_h.jpg

GreedFall_03.jpg.png

Launch trailer:

looking forward to this, seems very similar to Dragon Age (for good and ill)

This looks good going to check out more videos when I have time.

I've played one of their other RPGs, Bound by Flame. It was good enough that I finished it, but I could also see why they're not a really well-known developer. I almost tried out Technomancer but reviews turned me away.

I do like this game's look a lot, so I'm very curious. I am gonna wait for impressions, but I think that a 70 or up will probably get me to bite, and a 60 will probably still mean a purchase just not at full price.

I've played one of their other RPGs, Bound by Flame. It was good enough that I finished it, but I could also see why they're not a really well-known developer. I almost tried out Technomancer but reviews turned me away.

I do like this game's look a lot, so I'm very curious. I am gonna wait for impressions, but I think that a 70 or up will probably get me to bite, and a 60 will probably still mean a purchase just not at full price.
Thanks for chiming in, dude. I'm pretty interested myself and am circling picking it up right now; I get an almost Frank Frazetta vibe from some of the chars and then in equal measure, a cool, period-piece immersion.

I have The Surge 2 preordered (24.09) so I'm in an unaccommodating window between journeys, having finished Sniper Elite 3 expansions just some days ago. How long or short in your experience would you say Bound by Flame was? I'm wondering if this will be a shorter 40-hour ride or a GOAT story with Witcher-grade ambitions.

Thanks for chiming in, dude. I'm pretty interested myself and am circling picking it up right now; I get an almost Frank Frazetta vibe from some of the chars and then in equal measure, a cool, period-piece immersion.

I have The Surge 2 preordered (24.09) so I'm in an unaccommodating window between journeys, having finished Sniper Elite 3 expansions just some days ago. How long or short in your experience would you say Bound by Flame was? I'm wondering if this will be a shorter 40-hour ride or a GOAT story with Witcher-grade ambitions.
Steam has it at 22 hours, but Bound by Flame was pretty linear. I'd expect this to be longer just by being open world.

I have this and borderlands 3 pre-ordered. This is a game right up my alley

I loved Terrence Malick's The New World with Colin Farrell. It had vocal detraction for being artsy-fartsy but with that came something unique to take in, IMO. Either way, I like the parallels here. Stamped:

Steam has it at 22 hours, but Bound by Flame was pretty linear. I'd expect this to be longer just by being open world.
Agree. The trailer covers a lot of territory so if shorter, it would be a story thinly told. I have good impressions right now that a lot of heart went into this game. I like showing love to lesser-known studios too.

I also played bound by flame. I didn't beat it but made it to the end. It was a decent game and the dev has been on my radar ever since.

Anyone tried this one yet?
I'm currently playing so far it's fun though I'm still on the first island you start on. I'm doing every quest you can on the starting island before i leave. I'm going to play as I magic trapper

Last edited:
I'm currently playing so far it's fun though I'm still on the first island you start on. I'm doing every question you can on the starting island before i leave. I'm going to play as I magic trapper
Trapper? Sounds cool. Are there char classes (here: trades?) or do you spec how you wish throughout? And are there any titles you can liken the combat system(s) to? This would be a studio first for me.

I find the story and visuals/setting interesting enough as is so if the combat is there, I reckon this a buy for me. A friend of mine who lives not far from the studio is buying it tonight too.

Trapper? Sounds cool. Are there char classes (here: trades?) or do you spec how you wish throughout? And are there any titles you can liken the combat system(s) to? This would be a studio first for me.

I find the story and visuals/setting interesting enough as is so if the combat is there, I reckon this a buy for me. A friend of mine who lives not far from the studio is buying it tonight too.
There are three starting classes warrior technician and magic. I went down the magic path tho I'm also going to spect into the technician class so I can use traps. So far the combat has been fun. Basically you can mix and match with three classes for me personally a magic trapper sound's fun to play.

I played a bit last night and it felt very mediocre.

The level design seemed really bad/lazy. The story seems a little interesting but all the characters introduced seem really shallow.

It's got the Brotherhood of the Wolf aesthetic going on with a bit of AC IV: Black Flag and Horizon: Zero Dawn mixed in.

brotherhoodwolf.jpg

There's a German painter I like by the name of Friedrich, Caspar Friedrich. Long dead and all but he painted in his time very cool scenes, many of what I imagine GreedFall, at least in spirit, would appreciate being likened to. I'll google some of my favourites and throw below; dawgs have seen one or two, I'm sure, likely from his famous Moon series. These works would have seen painting in the early 1800s, so roughly 200 years after what I can only suspect GreedFall's period is:

main-image

Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Man_and_Woman_Contemplating_the_Moon_-_WGA08271.jpg

934px-Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Felsenlandschaft_im_Elbsandsteingebirge_%281822-23%29.jpg

4-moonrise-over-the-sea-caspar-david-friedrich.jpg

Caspar_David_Friedrich.jpg

Caspar_David_Friedrich_FRC014.jpg

caspar-david-friedrich.jpg

Stamped to jump to –

Graphics:

Performance:

Scoring:

Gameplay:

Stamped to jump to –

Scoring:

I wonder if they used the same guy in Bound by Flame. I'm not a person who really cares about the sound track in a game but Bound By Flame had a very good sound track.

Edit: Looked it up and yea he did Bound By Flames sound track as well.

Back